Oil around intake clamps of turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 07:48 AM
redbug
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil around intake clamps of turbo

Hello,

I have a 2001 7.3 and I just changed the oil. While under the hood I noticed a lot of black oily deposits around the intake rubber and clamps going into the turbo. It was on the black rubber connector that says cool air? There was also some spray on a few tubes under the pipe.

When I was looking for a 7.3 truck I noticed that a few others had a bunch of black crud in the same area. This is obviously common. What is the issue and how do I repair it?

Thanks,

redbug

Old 02-28-2011, 07:52 AM
mtdigger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Search CCV mod..install, degrease engine,Install new ic boots....worked for me

Old 02-28-2011, 07:57 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

He is right.The factory hoses are really thin and known to leak oil and lower boost.You can fix them easily with a few mods.Look here.Give Clay a call and tell him what you need.

Riffraff Diesel: CCV Kit

Riffraff Diesel: RDP Complete CAC Intercooler Boot Kit

Old 02-28-2011, 07:59 AM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The residue comes from the Crankcase Ventilation (CCV). The design is to have the CCV vent into the intake air to get consumed by the engine and hopefully lower emissions. Since the boots are pre-combustion the oil eventually gets absorbed or blown through the connection and starts to make a mess. The CCV mod redirects the oily air through a hose to ambient under the truck. Most of the International trucks use this type of system exclusively. Ford designed it to be consumed to keep the EPA off of their back.

Removing the boots and cleaning them, will keep it at bay for awhile, but it will most likely come back. If you do he CCV you will need to remove the boots and clean them really good before re-installing. This will get all the residual fluid.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:02 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

if your talking bout this. it is due to the crank case vent being routed into the air intake.

no biggy they all do it. your intercooler tubes end up with a oily residue inside

if it troubles you you can do the CCV mod
Riffraff Diesel: RDP CCV Kit

I went with another supplier but here it is installed. It re routes the CCV gas, filters it and returns clean air back to your intake.

while you are there wack a new set of boots on and you wont look back

Riffraff Diesel: RDP Complete CAC Intercooler Boot Kit

looks like Im to slow, they all beat me to it.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:06 AM
mtdigger
Senior User
Also check guzzles mod page, he made a cool catch can to keep the goop from ruining your driveway....excellent idea unless you park in the dirt ! Good luck, riffraff has a nice kit, if you're not into making your own

Old 02-28-2011, 08:09 AM
mtdigger
Senior User
Sorry chunder...its raining and I'm bored at work ! Didn't mean to jump the reply gun

Old 02-28-2011, 08:16 AM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by mtdigger
Sorry chunder...its raining and I'm bored at work ! Didn't mean to jump the reply gun
no probs m8, its 1 am in the morning here I should be in bed.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:49 AM
mtdigger
Senior User
Cool.... so I guess since I'm talking with you....technically...I'm a time traveller....BTW..my ic boots weren't nearly that cruddy...wow ! But my 99.5 only has 36,000 miles

Old 02-28-2011, 09:30 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
I did the CCV 'delete' for a little while. I absolutely hated it. I love my diesel truck, but that stinky CC smell was horrid and the smoke made people think something was wrong with my truck. Screw that 'mod'!!

As far as 'CCV mod' goes, I can't see it reducing the oil on/around boots very much unless you replace CAC. I recently had CAC out for the 3rd time (at least...) and stood it on end intentionally trying to drain the oil from it - again. After 3 weeks, there was STILL oil coming out. This oil (which ain't hurting a damn thing) will always migrate thru the seal on the boots - even if ya stop 'adding' oil to the CAC. I can say that upgrading to RiffRaff boots does stop ALOT of that migration and since I've been using them all it takes is a couple squirts of diluted Purple Power and a blast from the hose a couple times a year and my engine stays almost as clean as Rick's (Miller_Feed). Of course, if ya want an engine THAT clean - you gotta avoid driving in inclement weather... (Btw, Rick does not have a CCV mod )

Old 02-28-2011, 09:45 AM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

If you want to spend a little dough, you can get the BD Diesel CCV system. Kind of spendy, but has a nice professional look.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:46 AM
mtdigger
Senior User
Id prefer to keep the ccv as well, but there's got to be a way to vent it into the manifold to avoid it being run thru the ic system..no ? Has anyone tried that ? My dad is trying to figure a way to do it

Old 02-28-2011, 09:50 AM
mtdigger
Senior User
Didn't the old gas v8s just route it under the carb ? It's been awhile...

Old 02-28-2011, 10:34 AM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Some weld a pipe into the exhaust at an angle. The exhaust flow will pull the CCV air into the exhaust and ex-spell it out with little to no smell out the exhaust. There has been quite a few debates on how precise the angle has to be, but many have had good results doing it this way.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:52 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
but that stinky CC smell was horrid and the smoke made people think something was wrong with my truck. Screw that 'mod'!!
How do you smell it? I can only smell it if I am standing next to the truck while it is idling. Most of the time, I am in the truck driving so I don't smell it too often. Only if I am at a stop for long enough and the wind is blowing just right would I smell it.

As to other people thinking something is wrong with my truck, WGAS? They are not paying for the truck why should their opinion matter?

Quick Reply: Oil around intake clamps of turbo