Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Rigging Hoist cap off truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:29 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rigging Hoist cap off truck

I have just built a 24+24 with 9ft walls and want to rigg the garage to lift the cap off my F350 cc drw 8ft bed. I also doubled up the rafters 6ft apart to hold the weight. So I can do it by myself and then when I want to put on I can also do it by myself. Has anyone here ever done this or have an idea of rigging without spending a alot of coin. I was thinking pullies into one and then a cleat on the wall. My friends and I are up in the air on this one. If money wasn't an issue I could come up with alot of great ideas.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:50 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Rigging is the right word, and I think you're on track with a block and tackle pulley system.
But would suggest a jam, cam or clam cleat with an integral fairlead.
Then you only have to heave the line and not hold it in place while you try and cleat it.

RWO Lance Cleats at West Marine
This one has a working load of 500 lbs, roller fairlead and aluminum cam.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:30 PM
FourOneTons
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out this commercial unit:

TOP/CAP EZ LIFT HOME

Somebody recently bought one and gave it a good review, although I can't remember on which website it was posted, so can't find more details at the moment.

Every home made one I've seen has had some sort of "one-man operation" issues, including one I made many years ago. My current solution is a forklift and fork extensions same as how the topper guys do it, which works great for installation and removal, but still leaves the storage problem.

Joe

Old 02-27-2011, 05:01 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Thanks guys for the input. One thing about the ready to go system is there is no price there which makes me think it is going to cost more than I have. And the idea of using the west marine is good. I have a couple old books somewhere. If I knew anything about sailing I would be better off but I'm not, I am a power boater (SeaRay man) I was hoping to come up with something for less than $200.00 I might be dreaming but hey if MLK can have a dream so can this poor old white boy. Thanks again for the input.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:13 AM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Years ago I would take my cap off in the summer time.
I simply used two stout ropes suspended from the floor joists in the barn in which I parked.
Back the truck in, remove mounting hardware.
Carry one end of the rope into the bed with me when I climbed in. Used my back to gently lift the cap an inch or so along one side of the bed rail until I got the rope all the way to the front of the cap. Repeat with the other side and the other rope.
Then I 'd just pull on the rope gently until the cap was clear from the bed in the front and again in the rear, just tying it off temporarily until I pulled the truck out and then hoisted the cap until it nearly touched the joists.
It wouldn't go up straight because of the friction of the rope underneath the cap side walls, but I'd just keep evening it out as I went.
A little bit cumbersome, but I only did it 2x per year so I couldn't see investing bucks in pulleys and whatnot.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:54 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I found this for ya.
Wrangler Hard Top Hoist

There are companies out there that make lifts for Jeep hard tops. I figure you could study them then modify for your own application. I then found this link, where this guy made his own for about 25.00.
Maybe you can follow his lead and make your own from his plans.

Ok I found another one for ya. I'll stop looking after this one.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f140/...system-352125/

Last edited by *2fords*; 02-28-2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: found another link
Old 04-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Another method, use one of those manual winches like you have on the boat trailer for dragging the boat into place. Good mechanical advantage and racheting spool.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:08 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Bdox
Another method, use one of those manual winches like you have on the boat trailer for dragging the boat into place. Good mechanical advantage and racheting spool.
GrEAT IDEA !! I can't believe I didn't think about trying that. I could mount it to wall stud and put a couple of pulleys up top. And it is something I could do for under $100. Thanks for the idea.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:16 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by *2fords*
I found this for ya.
Wrangler Hard Top Hoist

There are companies out there that make lifts for Jeep hard tops. I figure you could study them then modify for your own application. I then found this link, where this guy made his own for about 25.00.
Maybe you can follow his lead and make your own from his plans.

Ok I found another one for ya. I'll stop looking after this one.
DIY Hardtop Hoist System - JeepForum.com
I think I'll use part of this idea too !! I will post back when I come up with the final design. Hopefully photos too.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Sarge559
New User
Just finished this today. Used a chain hoist, covered cable, pulleys, etc. I made a platform from left over plywood strips. I have heard that with a topper you should not hook the sides as it could cause the shell to spread out over time. Not sure if thats true but whatever.

Chain hoist mounted to wall of garage.

Platform with cables.

Pulleys mounted to 2x4s on ceiling with a ton of lag screws into the joists.

Cables all coming together. I left this off and just went straight from the pulleys above the platform to the hook of the chain hoist. Then found out that geometry can bite you in the butt.

It works!

Old 04-10-2011, 08:38 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Would you be able to use some angle stock to put between the bedrails and the topper and then tie them together to lift the topper? This way you don't have to manhandle it as much to put the topper on/off the truck.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:39 PM
BadDogPSD
Laughing Gas
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by FourOneTons
Check out this commercial unit:

TOP/CAP EZ LIFT HOME

Somebody recently bought one and gave it a good review, although I can't remember on which website it was posted, so can't find more details at the moment.

Every home made one I've seen has had some sort of "one-man operation" issues, including one I made many years ago. My current solution is a forklift and fork extensions same as how the topper guys do it, which works great for installation and removal, but still leaves the storage problem.

Joe
I have one of these and it works very well.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:16 AM
MohsinSK
New User
Originally Posted by Sarge559
Just finished this today. Used a chain hoist, covered cable, pulleys, etc. I made a platform from left over plywood strips. I have heard that with a topper you should not hook the sides as it could cause the shell to spread out over time. Not sure if thats true but whatever.

Chain hoist mounted to wall of garage.

Platform with cables.

Pulleys mounted to 2x4s on ceiling with a ton of lag screws into the joists.

Cables all coming together. I left this off and just went straight from the pulleys above the platform to the hook of the chain hoist. Then found out that geometry can bite you in the butt.

It works!

man.. that is a perfect design.. I love it..