1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Ranger just Died at stop light.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 02:30 PM
cliftonfts
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ranger just Died at stop light.

I have a 99 4.0L 4wd Ranger that just quit on me out the blue. Can someone help me with some preliminary checks before I get it hauled off to a mechanic? Am I right to assume I can rule out a broke timing belt because I thought that all 6 cylinder models have a timing chain? According to my Haynes Repair Manual my model has a timing chain. When it first died, I tried several times to restarted it and it started but ran very ruff like it was running out of gas and I was not able to get enough power to pull off. I had it towed home and now it turns over very strong but its not firing up at all. It does have any error codes pending or otherwise and just recently change the air filter and MAF sensor a few months ago. Last year had it smoked out real good and had a vacuum leaks repaired.

Last edited by cliftonfts; 02-25-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: just adding a bit more info
Old 02-25-2011, 03:23 PM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
Have you tried removing air intake and giving it a shot of starting fluid? If starts and stalls then fuel related issue. Replace gas filter,check fuel pump relay, check to see if fuel pump iniertia switch (passenger kick panel area) is tripped. If fuel pump is temperamental give gas tank a good whap to wake it up.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:52 PM
slidingdelta
Junior User
could it be charging system related. with ignition in the on position does the gauge go over the bottom line, or if you measure the voltage across the battery is it atleast 12.3 or 12.4 volts?

Old 02-25-2011, 06:53 PM
cliftonfts
New User
Originally Posted by 03 Maz B23
Have you tried removing air intake and giving it a shot of starting fluid? If starts and stalls then fuel related issue. Replace gas filter,check fuel pump relay, check to see if fuel pump iniertia switch (passenger kick panel area) is tripped. If fuel pump is temperamental give gas tank a good whap to wake it up.
Thanks, I will try that tomorrow and post what I find.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:14 PM
reddog99
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ford had a problem some years ago where the fuel pump emergency shut-off switch (for when you get in a collision) would trip. Most often, these are located in the passenger footwell.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:06 AM
cliftonfts
New User
Originally Posted by reddog99
Ford had a problem some years ago where the fuel pump emergency shut-off switch (for when you get in a collision) would trip. Most often, these are located in the passenger footwell.
Is this the inertia switch?

Old 02-26-2011, 05:33 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by cliftonfts
Is this the inertia switch?
yes inertia switch and shutoff switch are the same thing.....do as Maz said and spray starter fluid into the TB and see if it fires up. It has headlights and cranks over Right?...you can even check for fuel at the shrader valve but be careful. put a rag over the shrader valve and push it in...see if you have some pressure( do this with the truck off)

Old 02-26-2011, 06:19 AM
cliftonfts
New User
Originally Posted by powersmoked
yes inertia switch and shutoff switch are the same thing.....do as Maz said and spray starter fluid into the TB and see if it fires up. It has headlights and cranks over Right?...you can even check for fuel at the shrader valve but be careful. put a rag over the shrader valve and push it in...see if you have some pressure( do this with the truck off)
yes it has head lights and cranks over . Going to try starter fluid today. Thanks

Old 02-26-2011, 07:45 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
You can use WD-40 in place of starter fluid if you don't want to go buy starting fluid [ether].
tom

Old 02-26-2011, 10:48 AM
reddog99
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"inertia switch". Yes, that's the term I couldn't remember.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:00 AM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by tomw
You can use WD-40 in place of starter fluid if you don't want to go buy starting fluid [ether].
tom
I have never tried wd-40 but I think throttle body cleaner would worlk or you can even pout a 1/4 cup of gas into the TB

Old 02-26-2011, 03:17 PM
cliftonfts
New User
OK put a little gas in the throttle body and the truck crank right up ran for a min then stalled.
Doing fuel system check now.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:26 PM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
Check the inertia switch(above passenger kick panel) to see if red button needs reset. If it's ok turn key to on and listen for fuel pump running to prime fuel rail. If doesn't run turn key to on and give fuel tank a whack too see if fuel pump awakens . Check the fuel pump relay in back under hood box. If replace fuel filter don't break the horseshoe shaped clips that retain fuel lines. To remove lines push line toward filter and press in on top wide part of plastic colored clip with small flat blade screwdriver and then pull line off. Keep rag handy for dripping when disconnect.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:29 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by cliftonfts
OK put a little gas in the throttle body and the truck crank right up ran for a min then stalled.
Doing fuel system check now.
great...so check that the inertia switch has not poped........check the fuel pump fues, swap out the fuel pump relay with another one..........if that does not solve the issue it is most likely the pump.........removing the bed is the best way for a DIYer

Old 02-26-2011, 03:33 PM
powersmoked
Fleet Mechanic
Check the inertia switch(above passenger kick panel) to see if red button needs reset. If it's ok turn key to on and listen for fuel pump running to prime fuel rail. If doesn't run turn key to on and give fuel tank a whack too see if fuel pump awakens . Check the fuel pump relay in back under hood box. If replace fuel filter don't break the horseshoe shaped clips that retain fuel lines. To remove lines push line toward filter and press in on top wide part of plastic colored clip with small flat blade screwdriver and then pull line off. Keep rag handy for dripping when disconnect.
+1...except our 99's need a special $10 5/16 tool to remove them properly... go to post #15 in this thread.they have slightly different tool then I do but they both work Fuel filter removal - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®

Quick Reply: Ranger just Died at stop light.