Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

How do you feel about "Sentimental builds?"

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:02 PM
sandrat
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you feel about "Sentimental builds?"

For lack of a better term. What I'm talking about are builds or projects where an owner builds a vehicle based on one they previously owned or wished they owned. I've heard a lot of people talk crap when someone builds a truck or car that's "just like the one I had when I was..." I don't see why it should matter, it's not like it's their car, it belongs to the owner/builder and it's theirs to create as they see fit. Or can someone give me a decent reason why they find this objectionable?

Old 02-22-2011, 11:25 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
There's really only one thing that bothers me and that's when guys run different make engines in the Fords. I just feel that if you really love the sbc or whatever why not build a vehicle that is the same make as the engine. But with that being said if someone wants to run a sbc in their Ford I can't stop them. But I can give them crap about ( in a good natured ribbing type of way ) .

As far as someone building their project a certain way or in a certain style. I say who cares. Build it anyway that makes you happy. I mean it's the owners vehicle. If they want to build it to look like a vehicle they use to own or dreamed of, more power to them. I know with my junk pile I'm investing a lot of my time, money and blood, sweat and a few tears. So I'm building it the way I want it. At least at this minute( I reserve the right to change my mind a million times!! ) .

I know once I get my 54 finished I want to get me a muscle car to build. When I was a kid growing up( late 70's early 80's ) there was a certain style car I loved. That was the cars that had the big V8's, jacked up rears, huge wide tires in back, little skinny tires up front, side exit exhaust and either a big hood scoop or a carb scoop sticking thru the hood.. So that's what I'm going to build! I don't really care if it's the "IN" thing to build at that time or not. It's what will make me happy. If someone else doesn't like it well too bad.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:50 AM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
Like Ted said...

I't your money, time and bloody knuckles. It's what pleases you ! Want a BBC or SBC instead of a BBF or SBF, because that's what you have or can afford or have some knowledge already? Already have that chrome Jag rearend? JUST DO IT! Somebody doesn't like it? F em.. You're "paying the freight" and the only one who has to be happy is YOU !

P.S. I would still make it safe to drive...

Old 02-23-2011, 12:43 PM
sandrat
Posting Guru
EXACTLY! I never really understood that attitude. I was at a car show one time talking to a guy who built a Chevelle "just like his dad's when he was a kid," and some other dude who was right there snorted and mumbled something about not letting go of the past as we walked away. WTH? The reason I ask is I've been thinking about building the truck I always wanted my first truck to become, and it never got to be. A friend of mine and I had almost identical trucks "back when," and I have so many fond memories of those times that now that I live where there are lots of rust free cars as opposed to the Michi-can't rust belt, I figured I'd finally find that old truck (or something close to it) and make the truck I always wanted.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Well said Ted. Nothing more to say!!!!!