6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

"PHONE" button on radio??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 06:52 PM
todouble
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"PHONE" button on radio??

I have an 08 f-250 which has the upgraded audiophile radio with xm radio and 6 disc cd. There is a "phone" button on it with a little telephone pic on it. When you push this it says no phone? Reading through the owners manual thats all it say as well. Anybody know what this does?? bluetooth perhaps?? thanks

Old 02-21-2011, 07:06 PM
sportsfreaked
Junior User
Yes it is for the bluetooth for a cell phone. I just got a pre paid cell that works with the sync and I must admit it is a nice feature. My wife works from home and I am disabled so we do not have cell phones. We just bought a Trac phone from Walmart that has bluetooth.

If you have a cell and use the bluetooth you can go to syncmyride.com and it has a phonebook feature that allows you to download a phone list then upload it to Sync which is better then downloading it off of the phone. Hope this makes sense. Hope it helps good luck to you.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:06 PM
cmalinowski
Junior User
I have it too. It appears to be the button that displays the "no phone" message

Old 02-21-2011, 07:09 PM
todouble
Junior User
Originally Posted by cmalinowski
I have it too. It appears to be the button that displays the "no phone" message
Yes I have discovered that already, thanks!

Old 02-21-2011, 07:16 PM
todouble
Junior User
Originally Posted by sportsfreaked
Yes it is for the bluetooth for a cell phone. I just got a pre paid cell that works with the sync and I must admit it is a nice feature. My wife works from home and I am disabled so we do not have cell phones. We just bought a Trac phone from Walmart that has bluetooth.

If you have a cell and use the bluetooth you can go to syncmyride.com and it has a phonebook feature that allows you to download a phone list then upload it to Sync which is better then downloading it off of the phone. Hope this makes sense. Hope it helps good luck to you.
Mine is an 08 job 3 build. Im almost positive I dont have sync. It doesnt have it labeled anywhere that I have it nor do I think it was available on the 08's. Then again im not sure why anybody would put that button there and have no purpose for it. I tried turning on my bluetooth for my cell phone and then hitting the phone button. My phone just says searching and never identifies or sync with the vehicle. Oh well

Old 02-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Rudiak
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Subscribing.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:10 PM
sportsfreaked
Junior User
I know that Ford has something that hey can install so that you can use bluetooth and have it via the speakers. I am sorry I do not remeber what it is called and I do not know the cost. I have seen it on here somewhere and maybe someone will chime in on it. Do you have the jack that you can plug the phone into via a cable? Not sure if that would work just throwing out an idea.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:57 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I remember the older trucks the phone button would mute the radio, at least in my dads 97 F150 and his 2000 F250. I can't remember if my factory radio in my 2003 F350 had the phone button or not now, been a while since I had it in there.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:53 AM
Gwilkrrs
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by sportsfreaked
I know that Ford has something that hey can install so that you can use bluetooth and have it via the speakers. I am sorry I do not remeber what it is called and I do not know the cost. I have seen it on here somewhere and maybe someone will chime in on it. Do you have the jack that you can plug the phone into via a cable? Not sure if that would work just throwing out an idea.
its called mobile ease. it is between 3 to $400 installed.
my 08 job 1 has 6 disk, no nav, no sync and the phone button only mutes radio so you can talk on phone without adjusting volume button. i have been looking into the mobile ease........

Old 02-22-2011, 07:49 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have that button on my '08 Edge. The dealer said the sync feature wasn't available yet when the car was built, but the factory was installing the base hardware. Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe sync can be retrofitted easier that way. I didn't pursue it further.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:29 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by todouble
Mine is an 08 job 3 build. Im almost positive I dont have sync. It doesnt have it labeled anywhere that I have it nor do I think it was available on the 08's. Then again im not sure why anybody would put that button there and have no purpose for it. I tried turning on my bluetooth for my cell phone and then hitting the phone button. My phone just says searching and never identifies or sync with the vehicle. Oh well
Your correct, you don't have SYNC on the '08 it only became available in '09. You have to buy one of the Ford BlueTooth options they have or some 3rd party vendors have that will adapt to the stereo and allow you to pair your mobile to it. Otherwise you will be forever stuck with the "no phone" message.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:00 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I called Ford to find out why my dash display said something about TBC Gain = 0 when I had a trailer hooked up. they said my 08 didnt have the newer TBC unit but in 09 all the trucks would so in preparation my truck had the software installed even though I didnt have the actual TBC. They told me sometimes a late model 08 (for example) might get a 09 feature only because they miscalculated inventory model closeout too. i.e. they thought they only needed 1,000 radios for 08. They started buying 09 radios and then realized they were making 1,200 late model 08 trucks. Its cheaper to use the 09 radio than to order another 08.
Not saying this happened, but these are examples that Ford Customer Service gave me.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:56 PM
peefrog
Freshman User
I found this...don't know if would work or just some "cheesy" knock off...
Ford/Lincoln/Mercury HandsFree BlueTooth Phone Car Kit

Old 07-14-2012, 09:36 PM
midmo
New User
I have a 2011, it doesn't say sync anywhere but I am curious if it will work. i havent tried it yet. i just bought it this afternoon but i was wondering if i would be able to get my phone to work. there is a "text" button too

Old 07-15-2012, 01:47 PM
midmo
New User
i tried the phone button today, nothing happened. no message or anything, the radio did not mute either. i do not have an owners manual for it so i am lost. i don't even know what the cat/fold button is for, or the text button.

Quick Reply: "PHONE" button on radio??