6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel FIlter Change - in the Information Center

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 03:33 PM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel FIlter Change - in the Information Center

Hello all - I am curious as to whether or not anyone has actually received the change fuel filter message in the DIC or is everyone just changing it for there own piece of mind? I have over 22k on my clock and not a message to change the fuel filter yet - Just wondering if anyone has actually seen the message - Maybe mine isn't working, or maybe it's not time yet - Just checking...

Old 02-16-2011, 08:18 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good question..I just went over 22000 miles.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:43 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by rickatic
Good question..I just went over 22000 miles.
Wow...and here I was going to replace the two filters at 15k.
Personally, I don't want to wait on the computer for the fuel.
The computer doesn't know (that I'm aware of) what quality of diesel you are feeding it.
So far I have not had any water draining my DFCM monthly but that doesn't mean there hasn't been small objects in the fuel.

Attached is what Ford says.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
Is there only one fuel filter on the 6.7L. Are they easier to change than the 6.0L? Where is it located? Under the hood or on the frame rail? Do you need any special tools?

There are no video's out on YouTube.com showing how to change. Maybe Epic can create one????

Old 02-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Shepardsonp
Is there only one fuel filter on the 6.7L. Are they easier to change than the 6.0L? Where is it located? Under the hood or on the frame rail? Do you need any special tools?

There are no video's out on YouTube.com showing how to change. Maybe Epic can create one????
There is one on the frame rail and one on the engine, just like your 6.0L.

Looks like they are easier to get to though.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:16 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Old 02-21-2011, 11:51 AM
jermort
Senior User
Funny thing, I got a fuel filter message at about 10500 miles. Called a dealer while I was in SoCal, they told me to just reset the message and go by the third oil change paradigm.

jammer

Old 02-21-2011, 07:17 PM
roadtech
Junior User
fuel filter change

Hi Guys
Change my filter today, very easy
The large filter is a spin off filter carrier with the filter element in it, drain the filter in a pail takes about 5 minutes to do that, use a 1 1/4 in socket to turn it off, change the element and big O ring and spin it back on, it has a "stop" so you can't go wrong turning it in.
The top filter is as easy, lossen a 7 mil nut that holds the filter tight, the green keeper on the left line goes ina downward direction, just pinch it and it moves down, the right one has a white push tab, push it down with your finger or use a screw driver, then grab the line and move the fuel line towards the filter and and then pull back and it will release. There is a bit of fuel spilled so place some paper towel under the lines prior to removing the lines.
The lines go back on as easy.
Cycle the key a few times to refill the filters.

I would do this with a cool motor.
This is not ment to be a tutorial, but just to show how easy it can be.

Any ways guys this was my first time and I did it without incident

Old 02-21-2011, 07:39 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have not gotten the message. Currently at about 24K on filters. Dealer changed them out at 10K for no reason other than I think the diesel tech just wanted to do it, which I'm good with at the first 10K.

I watched him do it. Very easy as long as you pay attention to put everything back the way it was (o rings and such).

Old 02-21-2011, 07:42 PM
GMUGNIER
Tuned
I dont know - I still have the original filters and no indicator to change yet - I wonder if the flashes reset the minder? It didn't reset the coolant minder as it is on now..

Old 02-21-2011, 07:58 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Interesting... looks like they addressed the big issues by switching to a Vertically oriented fuel module. Did anyone get a look at what it is? It use to be a Parker-Hannifin unit. How much did the 2 filter set cost? I always thought the old HFCM was a doozie, and the VFCM was a much better unit. Does it have a fuel heater built in?

Old 04-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Bmacs
New User
Reset Message?

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum...

I finally did receive the "fuel filter change required" message at 21,500 miles. I replaced both fuel filters (they didn't look bad), but I STILL have the "fuel filter change required" message... Does anyone know how to reset it? The reset oil filter was easy - this one, not so much...

I heard on other trucks you turn on the truck (but don't start), wait 5 seconds, then press the gas and brake for 10 seconds. This didn't work for me.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Bill

Old 04-07-2013, 06:00 PM
RM2012F350
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bmacs
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum...

I finally did receive the "fuel filter change required" message at 21,500 miles. I replaced both fuel filters (they didn't look bad), but I STILL have the "fuel filter change required" message... Does anyone know how to reset it? The reset oil filter was easy - this one, not so much...

I heard on other trucks you turn on the truck (but don't start), wait 5 seconds, then press the gas and brake for 10 seconds. This didn't work for me.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Bill
You can reset via the system settings in your message center...

Old 04-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Bmacs
New User
RM2012F350,

Do you have a little more detail than that?

I've been through the menus. There is an "oil life reset" - but no "fuel filter reset"

Have you reset the fuel filter through the menus yourself?

Thanks,

Bill

Old 04-07-2013, 06:15 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 889 Likes on 322 Posts
Its in the same general area, not same place as oil reset, but same place as the coolant test reset.

Quick Reply: Fuel FIlter Change - in the Information Center