1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

broken HOWTO - Front clip swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:53 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
broken HOWTO - Front clip swap

<table style="background-color: rgb(218, 222, 235); text-align: left; width: 810px;" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" border="1"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;">
Provided by rmalottwtes30

<table style="background-color: rgb(244, 244, 254); text-align: left; width: 800px;" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" border="1"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;">
Updating to 94 Front Clip - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
I know I will get some opinions on this as to not do away with the 85 look but to bad im doing it! Well I picked up my front clip yesterday for $200. The fenders had absolutly no rust on them. The only thing thats bad is the front bezel that goes around the light is busted only because it was really cold out and I was not very cautious with it. Man that whole thing was a PIA to get off. We used a hammer and chisel to get the core support bolts off. While im on the subject of core support this isnt in the best shape but its solid not rusted into pieces. I plan on fixing it up and maybe using POR15 on it. I need to fix up where the inner fender bolts up to it. I have a few questions... 1. Where the fenders bolt up by the doors, at the bottom on the 85 the bolts are up and down, and on the 94 they bolt up from the side. Can I simply just bend the tabs over to make the bolts go up and down? 2. Still need a bumper, was told the 94 bumper mounts will be different than what my 85 has? 3. Can I use my existing wiring and just change out the ends on it? I got the harness from the 94 but I dont know what wires go where? 4. Can I use my existing inner fenders or do I need to use the inner fenders off the 94? Thats all I can think of now. Im sure I will have more once I get going on this project. here are some pictures....
</td></tr></tbody></table>

<table style="background-color: rgb(218, 222, 235); text-align: left; width: 810px;" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" border="1"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;">
1985 F250 with 1996 Front Clip

<table style="background-color: rgb(244, 244, 254); text-align: left; width: 800px;" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" border="1"><tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: top;">
Difference with a 95-85 clip swap. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
I just completed swapping a 95 front clip on to my 85 F-250. It was so easy, I am suprised the truck didn't blow up just to get back at me. This was a total bolt-on affair. There were only 4 things I had to do differently, and you don't have to be ASE certified to do it either. 1)The bottom fender bolt under the truck goes in vertically on the 85 and horizontally on the 95. I found some "L" brackets from a CB hanger and used them to bolt the bottom of the fender to the truck. 2)When installing the cowl panel, the corner tabs were to far apart to touch. I bent the cowl tab up and the firewall tab down so they met at an angle instead of vertically. 3)I used the 85 inner fenderwells, the small screw holes didn't line up. I drilled new holes through the plastic to match the fenders. I also had to trim the plastic at the front at back to make it fit better. 4)The 95 front end has an extra light bulb on each corner. I had to splice that in and I also had to use the headlight plugs from the 95, but the wires were all colored the same which made it a snap. The 85 hood release cable connected right to the 95 hood latch. Under the hood looks identical , all the holes I had in the 85 inner fenders were on the 95 inner fenders as well. The bumper is a whole other issue. I have a custom made bumper that needs some brackets fabbed up to install it. I have a pic of the completed swap in my gallery though. Feel free to check it out.
<!--

End close of outermost table

-->