Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 F150 POWER WINDOW MOTOR REPLACEMENT

Old 02-12-2011, 11:09 PM
cato47
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 F150 POWER WINDOW MOTOR REPLACEMENT

Gentlemen:

I just bought a 92 F150 Ext Cab 4X4 and the drivers side power window won't go up or down. The guy I bought the truck from gave me a new replacement motor but I don't have a clue on how to put it in or even get the door panel off without screwing something up. I'm very mechanically inclined but the truck is so nice I wish one of you out there could give me blow by blow instructions, start to finish, on performing this task. Window related repairs and door panel removal is something I've never had to mess with in my 64 years but it's time to learn now. Thanks in advance to all that give a helping hand.

Rick

Old 02-13-2011, 08:42 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 223 Likes on 175 Posts
Power Window Motor, F-Series and Bronco

Removal

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

NOTE:
On vehicles equipped with EEC, when the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the EEC processor relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles to relearn the strategy.

2. Remove the door trim panel and watershield. See PDF below.

3. Disconnect power window motor wire from wire harness connector.

4. Check inside the door to make sure electrical wires are not in line with holes to be drilled in the door inner panel. Using a 12.7mm (1/2-inch) diameter drill bit, drill two holes in the door inner panel at the drill dimples located opposite the two unexposed motor drive retainer screws.

5. Remove the three motor mount retainer screws using two drilled holes and existing larger hole access to screw heads.

6. Push the motor toward the outside sheet metal to disengage the motor and drive from the regulator gear. After the motor and drive are disengaged, prop the window in full UP position.

7. Remove the motor and drive from inside the door.

Power Window Installation, F-Series and Bronco

Installation

1. Install a new motor and drive assembly and engage the motor to the regulator. Tighten motor retaining screws to 5.6-9.6 N-m (50-85 in-lb).

2. Install two pieces of Pressure-Sensitive Waterproof Tape D6AZ-19627-A or equivalent body tape (25.4mm [1 inch] square) over drilled holes.

3. Connect power window motor wiring. Connect battery ground cable.

4. Remove glass prop and check window operation.

5. Make sure door drain holes are open.

6. Install trim panel.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Door Trim Panel.pdf (190.7 KB, 1902 views)
Old 02-13-2011, 09:22 AM
L. Ward
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are not inclined to drill holes in the door panel as above, there is another way.

1. Disconnect battery
  2. remove door panel, armrest support, and protective film
  3. take 2-3 strips of duct tape and loop over top of door and tape to both sides of window to hold it in the "up" position
  4. unplug motor
  5. using a small punch, knock the center out of the 4 rivets holding the regulator assembly in
  6. drill out rivets (1/4" bit)
You can now remove the whole regulator assembly to swap the motor. Also while you have it all apart, I would suggest cleaning the track on the bottom of the window and regreasing it. Also clean and regrease the regulator assembly.

To reinstall it, use SHORT 1/4 bolts. You will need to connect the battery and run the window down slightly to finish installing the last two bolts.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:54 PM
MARC
Tuned
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Do NOT throw out motor. take it apart from the back end where the two nuts are remove winding, shaft assembly. lightly sand copper surface of brush contact, flatten/file brushes flat for maximum contact, and reassemble. motor is much biger and stronger than replacement motor. I did this 3-4 years ago and had no further problems with motor. My problem now is when I roll window down fast it bumps the bottom and the window regulator pops off the motor gear. I remove motor and reinstall it it works until I forget and roll down the window too fast. Does anyone know which way to adjust the jam nut on the motor?

Old 02-18-2011, 02:44 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
The ones I have seen are always too rusty to repair inside.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:28 AM
MARC
Tuned
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Wouldnt know about that, I live in Arizona.......tell me about this thing called rust...lol

Old 02-26-2011, 09:57 PM
bigtex94FE
New User
Sorry new to the site gotta 94 f150. power window motors sound *** if working but do not move windows in the slightest , lol of course I can do it manually...throwing the window up and down, but the motors sound strong and want to with is there a simple fix I'm not seeing ? before I go expensive route and actually break down and buy some replacement parts I'm fairly smart just new to the truck and doesn't add up are there resistors in the switch or am Ion wrong path...desperately seeking your help thanks... drew

Old 02-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi bigtex, welcome to the site, what you're describing sounds like the link between the window and the motor isn't there, take down the door trim and have a look inside.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:46 PM
bigtex94FE
New User
Smile

When you say link do you mean something mechanical our wiring/electrical

Old 02-27-2011, 07:18 AM
L. Ward
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the motor is running, but the window isn't moving, you need a set of these, available at your local Autozone or Advance in the "Help" section. They cost about $6 and go inside the gear assembly. Follow the instructions above to remove the motor/gear assembly, take the gear assembly apart, clean out the remains of the old plugs, regrease and put it back together.

74410 <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td align="left" valign="middle" width="100%">
</td> <td align="right" valign="Middle">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
<table border="0"><tbody><tr> <td nowrap="nowrap">Type : </td> <td>Window Regulator Gear Plugs</td> </tr> <tr> <td nowrap="nowrap">Make : </td> <td>Ford 2006-65</td> </tr> <tr> <td nowrap="nowrap">Brand : </td> <td>Dorman - HELP! - Carded</td></tr></tbody></table>

Old 02-27-2011, 10:26 AM
bigtex94FE
New User
Cool man thats what I was thinking was a gear issue or regulators thats sounds awesome I'm going to try that...will let you know how it goes

Old 03-09-2011, 07:48 AM
charlessocccer
Junior User
First, Great informational guide, second, does all this apply to a 94? i would assume so, but just want to check before i start tearing into my window/door

Thanks!

Old 03-09-2011, 08:08 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
The door would be the same but the wiring may differ some but would be close.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:59 PM
charlessocccer
Junior User
ok, great thank you.

Thank you everyone for the write-ups, it gives me the drive to finaly get it fixed.....ive just dealt with my window hardly working sine June lol

Old 03-30-2011, 07:10 PM
viker123
Freshman User
Hey guys,
Whats the deal if your window went up, but now refuses to come down? When I toggle it up, I hear the motor respond, but no noise when I hit the down side of the button. Had a spare button assembly so switched out and same thing. This is driver's side window only. Passenger side works fine and it did this suddenly. Put it up two days ago in rain and now will not open.
Thanks

1997 F150 Eddie baur ext. cab

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 92 F150 POWER WINDOW MOTOR REPLACEMENT