2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

When do we get a 4 valve DOHC 6.2?

Old 02-11-2011, 01:06 AM
RadRick
Mountain Pass
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
When do we get a 4 valve DOHC 6.2?

After reading the first couple of very positive reviews on the new 5.0, I just got to thinkin. If the 5.0 was 1/4 larger it would be a 6.25L, which is pretty darn close to the 6.2L. If everything stayed the same a 6.25L version of the 5.0 truck engine (360hp / 380tq) would have 450 horsepower and 475 lb ft of torque! Come on Ford, slap some 4v DOHC heads on the 6.2!!!

Old 02-11-2011, 05:11 AM
dieseltodd
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When do we get.

I would rather see about 6 more MPGs then more hp my self .

Old 02-11-2011, 08:23 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 296 Likes on 156 Posts
I think you'll see a 3-valve sooner than a 4-valve, especially in the truck market.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:13 AM
Hola Man
Senior User
Originally Posted by RadRick
After reading the first couple of very positive reviews on the new 5.0, I just got to thinkin. If the 5.0 was 1/4 larger it would be a 6.25L, which is pretty darn close to the 6.2L. If everything stayed the same a 6.25L version of the 5.0 truck engine (360hp / 380tq) would have 450 horsepower and 475 lb ft of torque! Come on Ford, slap some 4v DOHC heads on the 6.2!!!
I made this exact same point on another thread here on this site.
I, for one, am not gonna fall for paying big money for a truck only to have it be rendered outdated before I am even done making the payments. I'm not gonna be suckered.
Sorry Ford, no sale here until you bring out the 4 valve 6.2. Don't make me wait too long either because if you don't give me what I want and do it soon, someone else will.

Also, every other F150 engine has 4 valve heads, aluminum blocks, and forged cranks. Even the base F150's base V6 has these things. The 6.2 however, has none of them. All of the Toyota and Nissan trucks have them too. Kinda makes me feel like I'm being slighted and cheated, like the buyers of the other trucks and engines are getting more for their money.

Competition and enough of us hollering about it will force Ford to do something about it.
Regards, Eric

Old 02-14-2011, 05:48 PM
postman524
Junior User
Originally Posted by Hola Man
I, for one, am not gonna fall for paying big money for a truck only to have it be rendered outdated before I am even done making the payments. I'm not gonna be suckered.
Sorry Ford, no sale here until you bring out the 4 valve 6.2. Don't make me wait too long either because if you don't give me what I want and do it soon, someone else will.

Also, every other F150 engine has 4 valve heads, aluminum blocks, and forged cranks. Even the base F150's base V6 has these things. The 6.2 however, has none of them. All of the Toyota and Nissan trucks have them too. Kinda makes me feel like I'm being slighted and cheated, like the buyers of the other trucks and engines are getting more for their money.

Competition and enough of us hollering about it will force Ford to do something about it.
Regards, Eric
Accept the current 6.2L for what it is. It produces very good HP/torque numbers, it gets comparable gas mileage to most everything else out there and will probably prove to be a very good and durable engine. If you are worried about being outdated, you'll never be satisfied. Everything currently out there right now regardless of brand or engine will be outdated within several years. Heck, even the famed Eco-Boost will see changes after a few years. They will probably come out with a 3 or 4 valve 6.2 in a few years and it may be a somewhat better engine than the current 6.2 (and most likely more expensive) but within a few years after that they will come out with something better than the 3 valve 6.2. Unless you buy a new truck every 2-3 years you will never stay ahead of the game. That's why am buying a 2011 F250 w/ a 6.2L engine, it's plenty of truck for me and probably will last for years with the limited mileage I'll be putting on it. You can't live in the future.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:02 AM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
Well put Postman.

Think about it. Just five years ago, what would people think if Ford put out a 6.2L with the current numbers? It would be pretty popular wouldn't it.

Compare the truck market to the computer market. Not the same you say. I don't think it's too far fetched of a comparison. How many of you have a 5 year old computer? Ok, how many have a 10 year old computer? Now ask the same questions inserting "truck" for "computer".

I sold my 2002 to get a 2011. My guess is I'll probably wait that long to do it again. I'm very happy with what I got, and so will next year's buyers and the next.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:58 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
My 10-year-old (coming up on 11) 2-valve V10 puts out more torque than the 6.2L V8, across the entire RPM range.

Of course, the tranny is an antique, but it still gets the job done.

I do run computers that are around 5 years-old though, because there just haven't been enough technological leaps to justify the upgrade.

Analogies are a funny thing.

I think the one thing everyone is missing here is Ford HAS to run the 6.2 for at least 2-3 years to work all the bugs out of it BEFORE going whole-hog into DOHC, 3-valve, or anything else.

Let the fleets beat the crap out of them for a while and THEN see what happens.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:31 AM
jokerforever
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KodiakF250
Well put Postman.

Think about it. Just five years ago, what would people think if Ford put out a 6.2L with the current numbers? It would be pretty popular wouldn't it.

Compare the truck market to the computer market. Not the same you say. I don't think it's too far fetched of a comparison. How many of you have a 5 year old computer? Ok, how many have a 10 year old computer? Now ask the same questions inserting "truck" for "computer".

I sold my 2002 to get a 2011. My guess is I'll probably wait that long to do it again. I'm very happy with what I got, and so will next year's buyers and the next.
My laptop is about 9 years old. I bought the best available then and it has served me well. It's a little slower now and I've had to do some software updates along the way but it still gets the job done. Same as my truck; it's a 97 F350 with a 460--the best available at the time. Yeah, it's a little unrefined by today's standards, and I've had to do some maintenance and upgrades, but it's pay for, does everything it's has ever been asked to do and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Regards, Eric
It would seem as though the 6.2 is out of date before it was even introduced. And it is. The engine was under development for years. It was on again, off again for at least 10 years. The hotrod/Mustang/4x4 magazines have been reporting rumors about this engine that whole time. Remember what Ford and this country have been through in that time. National Disasters, war, a recession, attack on all fronts from the Demarcates; if this motor came out 5-6 years ago, like it should've, it would have been held in the highest regard. And then Ford would have taken a hit when gas spiked, and the bottom fell out of the economy. The same thing happened with the 5.0. It was suppose to be installed it the 07/08 Mustang but with what was going on in the world Ford held back so it could weather the storm better.

The way I see it is that the 6.2 is the last hold out with proven technology. You can keep your direct injection, turbos and alloy blocks. Give me cast iron, give me cubes, and give me torque that I can use.

Last edited by jokerforever; 02-15-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: A little strong on the "politics"
Old 02-15-2011, 12:20 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Please leave the politics out of this. Final warning.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:15 PM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
My analogy was offered because I think there are many people running computer 5-10 years old, but not older, and I think that's the same range where most truck owners consider replacing their trucks too. I think quite often it's for similar reasons.

Pretty ironic, and it serves to support not waiting for the latest and greatest because year after year, bigger and faster computers come out and bigger faster trucks come out.

For me, I replace what may be struggling or working too hard to get the job done with what can get the job done fairly easily.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:12 AM
Hola Man
Senior User
Originally Posted by postman524
Accept the current 6.2L for what it is. It produces very good HP/torque numbers, it gets comparable gas mileage to most everything else out there and will probably prove to be a very good and durable engine. If you are worried about being outdated, you'll never be satisfied. Everything currently out there right now regardless of brand or engine will be outdated within several years. Heck, even the famed Eco-Boost will see changes after a few years. They will probably come out with a 3 or 4 valve 6.2 in a few years and it may be a somewhat better engine than the current 6.2 (and most likely more expensive) but within a few years after that they will come out with something better than the 3 valve 6.2. Unless you buy a new truck every 2-3 years you will never stay ahead of the game. That's why am buying a 2011 F250 w/ a 6.2L engine, it's plenty of truck for me and probably will last for years with the limited mileage I'll be putting on it. You can't live in the future.
Take a look at this shootout: 2010 V-6 Work Truck Shootout - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports The Ford V6 totally blows away it's competition in EVERY way. Fuel economy, pulling power, passing power, you name it, the Ford won it. It's a 4 valve spanking it's 2 valve competition in every way and it is the BASE ENGINE! Why couldn't have Ford done the same thing with the 6.2 vs. it's competition? Why not beat the competition like they did with the 3.7 instead of merely meeting it like they did with the 6.2? Why didn't Ford hit it out of the park with the 6.2 like they did with the base engine? Is it because Ford wants to sucker us all into buying brand new trucks only to spring a 4 valve on us in a few years so we will all run out and buy a "brand new" truck again in a few years? It's a new form of planned obsolescence. Let's see, there was the first 5.4, then the "PI" 5.4, then the 3 valve 5.4, there was also a 4 valve version in the Navigator but only after they had sold them for several years with a 2 valve 5.4. Well I for one ain't falling for it. I think I'll sit this round out. Maybe the next one too.
Regards, Eric

Old 02-16-2011, 06:17 AM
Scrming
Senior User
Take a look at this shootout: 2010 V-6 Work Truck Shootout - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports The Ford V6 totally blows away it's competition in EVERY way. Fuel economy, pulling power, passing power, you name it, the Ford won it. It's a 4 valve spanking it's 2 valve competition in every way and it is the BASE ENGINE! Why couldn't have Ford done the same thing with the 6.2 vs. it's competition? Why not beat the competition like they did with the 3.7 instead of merely meeting it like they did with the 6.2? Why didn't Ford hit it out of the park with the 6.2 like they did with the base engine? Is it because Ford wants to sucker us all into buying brand new trucks only to spring a 4 valve on us in a few years so we will all run out and buy a "brand new" truck again in a few years? It's a new form of planned obsolescence. Let's see, there was the first 5.4, then the "PI" 5.4, then the 3 valve 5.4, there was also a 4 valve version in the Navigator but only after they had sold them for several years with a 2 valve 5.4. Well I for one ain't falling for it. I think I'll sit this round out. Maybe the next one too.
Regards, Eric

Ok.. wild guess here... BUT I would bet that a VERY HIGH percentage of Super Duty buyers, don't even know what 2 valve vs 4 valve means... They don't know and don't care... The typical buyer is going to say, "Does this truck have enough power to get the job done and do it reliably?"

As for your conspiracy theory... wow... I mean I'm very performance oriented... And I certainly wouldn't rush out and buy a new truck because they brought out a new version of the 6.2, even if it was 500 HP. So I seriously doubt a typical buyer would either.. and I doubt the folks at Ford are sitting around planning on a bunch of people running out to replace their 6.2s if they bring out a 4 valve...

Old 02-16-2011, 07:06 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
The Superduty line is very subject to FLEET marketing ups and downs, and replacement of trucks after their service life is up. The 1/2-ton (F150) line is more subject to the ups and downs of "regular folk"

Old 02-16-2011, 07:17 AM
Scrming
Senior User
Originally Posted by Krewat
The Superduty line is very subject to FLEET marketing ups and downs, and replacement of trucks after their service life is up. The 1/2-ton (F150) line is more subject to the ups and downs of "regular folk"
Ahh... very true... wasn't even thinking FLEET...

Old 02-17-2011, 09:47 PM
RadRick
Mountain Pass
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
The reason for my original post was the same cited by other users, all of the other new Ford truck engines get 4v DOHC heads, but the 6.2 goes backwards in technology compared to the 3v V10. Sure the 6.2 has 23 more horsepower, but it loses 52 lb ft of torque compared to the V10. I'm looking to replace my V10 within the next couple of years and I want something with a substantial increase in pulling power, not just a little more power. I'm not trying to avoid being outdated, but with the rumors that Chevy may put a 7.0L gas engine in their trucks I don't want to be dissapointed a year later when when Ford counters them or anyone else.

A DOHC setup gives the ability to change the cam timing and overlap, giving the engine both more torque at low RPM and more hosepower at high RPM, along with better mileage. I don't care if it has an aluminum block, cast iron is fine with me as I don't see the 80 pound weight savings making much of a difference on a Super Duty. As for direct injection, I personally have no use for that either, as its just one more really pricey item to fail.

I have read quite a few comparison tests between the 6.7 Diesel and 6.2, and its surprising how close they are to each other in typical magazine testing conditions, i.e. drag races. I just have to wonder if Ford didn't purposely hold back on the 6.2 as a marketing strategy to sell more Diesels to help recover more of their development money on the 6.7. If that's the case I hope they bring out a 500hp 1000ft/lb version of the 6.7 soon so we can have a 4v 6.2, or better yet a 4v DOHC 7.0...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When do we get a 4 valve DOHC 6.2?