1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eliminate Accessory Delay

Old 02-03-2011, 03:00 PM
RogerG
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eliminate Accessory Delay

Hello Everyone

My '02 F250 SD is equipped with an accessory delay. When I turn the ignition switch off, the interior light comes on, the radio keeps playing, etc.. Is there anyway to eliminate this feature? When I turn the key off, I want everything off and I sure do not want the dome and cargo light to come on.

Thank you,

Grits

Old 02-03-2011, 04:03 PM
brd7666
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would pull out the accessory Delay Relay, and see what happens. If you look in your owners manual, you will see where it is located.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:12 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
I don't think there is any way to change that behavior, and if you remove the accessory relay then none of those accessories will work at all.

The radio should go off as soon as you open a door. And the dome light goes off after a short period too. It's not like these things are going to run your battery down.

I really don't understand why you want to change it, but that's your business. As far as I know there is no way to program it any differently. Maybe someone else has an idea.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:58 AM
RogerG
Freshman User
Why

I am a farmer. On occasion, I shoot varmints from my truck. I want it quite and dark when I shut it down.

Also, I do not think it is a good idea from a security standpoint.

Grits

Old 02-05-2011, 12:05 AM
JockD
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
But the cops love it because they can see what the bad guys are doing after a traffic stop.

Even on my bare-bones XL the dome light stays on for a while after I open the door with the key on. I hate it, too.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:30 AM
helomech
Mountain Pass
What about turning off the stereo...? as for the dome light, can't you just turn it off? ie, roll the dash dimmer all the way off until it clicks and turning off the dome?

Old 02-05-2011, 03:54 AM
RogerG
Freshman User
That might work but the light has already come on. Thanks, Roger

Old 02-05-2011, 05:53 AM
helomech
Mountain Pass
Right, but if you turn the dimmer all the way down and click the dome light off BEFORE it comes on, then it wouldn't be an issue and you can sneak up on them thar critters..

Old 02-05-2011, 09:27 AM
RogerG
Freshman User
I will try it

As soon as my instrument cluster gets here I will try it. The dome light does not work at all if the battery saver relay goes bad. It is a non-serviceable part in the instrument cluster.

Roger

Old 02-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Rickx
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a thread on how to bypass and control your running board and interior lights. I went through the instrument panel to do this. Most are going through the driver's kick panel. Once you have this installed your map and cargo light switches will still function normally. This is on Excursions, but should be the same for Superdutys. Most of us did it because of malfunctioning door jam switches(door ajar).

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...itch-oops.html

Old 02-05-2011, 06:01 PM
fuelman
Elder User
Originally Posted by Rickx
Here's a thread on how to bypass and control your running board and interior lights. I went through the instrument panel to do this. Most are going through the driver's kick panel. Once you have this installed your map and cargo light switches will still function normally. This is on Excursions, but should be the same for Superdutys.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...itch-oops.html

It's actually the passenger side kick panel.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Gordon-0
Senior User
wouldnt it be easier to replace the time delay relay with a regular non time delay relay?
the other option is to put another switch in to mimic the switch in the door.
run a switch in series with one of the switches in the door jamb. it will prevent the truck from seeing the open door, so it will think the door is still closed when you have the swich "on". you are on your own for the radio

Old 02-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Anomic
Senior User
How about my 2010 turns on the parking and dome lights on when i turn key off (stays on about 60secs). I would love to never hear "you left your lights on" everytime i get out of my truck. Not to mention the above mentioned security reasons

Old 02-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Rickx
Senior User
Originally Posted by fuelman
It's actually the passenger side kick panel.

I contributed to that post, but I didn't read it all. So... good call.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Rickx
Senior User
Originally Posted by RogerG
As soon as my instrument cluster gets here I will try it. The dome light does not work at all if the battery saver relay goes bad. It is a non-serviceable part in the instrument cluster.

Roger

It's going to be really simple to install a switch if you're going to be dealing with your cluster anyway. Just know - you want the Black wire with blue stripe. There's only one. Just install a switch in that circuit and you're good to go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Eliminate Accessory Delay