Sponsored by:

Overhead display Fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 12:31 PM
1NiceHarley
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overhead display Fix

I don't know how many vist the other forums on FTE so I thought I would add this post over here.
I did the proceedure outlined in this thread and fixed my lie-o-meter, which was going dim on me (just wasn't bright any more, hard to see in daylight).
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ad-consol.html

Ingman posted this proceedure he got off the site a while back. I thought I would help spread the word on how to fix it.

"I have this over head console fix that I got off this site a while back. I haven't tried it yet.

Good luck.

Here is the process to remove and repair the overhead console in your truck. Click on the red
links for detailed photos.

First, you must remove the outer shell (colored to match the interior of your truck). There are five tension clips that hold the
shell in place. Begin by pulling downward (I just use my fingers to prevent damage) on the front (toward windshield) of the shell. You must pull VERY hard - it feels like it will break, but has never happened to me, and I've done a few now.

Once the front two tension clips pop loose, you must release two "L" shaped tension clips that lock into the
storage compartment. You can BARELY see the tips of the clips when looking inside the compartment. Use a flat head screwdriver or similar tool to push out on the clips until they release. I've also tried reaching above the outer shell to pull on these clips (rather than pushing from inside the storage compartment), but my hands are too big.

Once these two are released, there is one final tension clip on the rear that comes off fairly easily.

Next, you will see the black inner
shell. First, unplug the wire harnesson the passenger side of the unit. Next, you must again pull from the front (toward the windshield) with force to release two additional tension clips. Finally, tiltthe unit downward to release the "L" bracket at the rear (the "L" shaped bracket slides into a hole in the roof - no pulling required).

Once you have the unit out, remove the circuit board from the inner shell by removing the three torx screws (I believe they are 8mm but I can't recall).

Once the circuit board is removed, locate the 7
chipson the circuit board behind the display. They are labeled 620 and 680. The two I most often find loose are the two in the center directly behind the display - but check them all. Once the loose chips are located, re-attach them using a soldering pen (DO NOT USE A SOLDERING GUN AS THEY ARE TOO HOT AND MAY DAMAGE THE CIRCUIT BOARD). If there is not sufficient solder already in place (often the case for me), add additional solder as needed.

Now test the display by
pluggingin just the board in your truck and turn the key. If all works, put the board back on the inner shell and then replace the inner shell and plug in the wire harness. Then snap the outer shell in place and enjoy!

Check out my gallery for additional photos. If you find the chips are not the problem and the board is actually dead, check out ebay or similar locations to find a better deal than the $500 the
dealer wants. I've never had luck at scrap yards, but you might try those also. Finally, if you really can't find one, drop me a message and I'll see if I have any left from prior bulk purchases made prior to discovering the above repair procedure.

Let me know if you have additional questions and good luck! ffice
ffice" "<O</O

<O
Very easy project and now my display is bright again! </O<!-- / message -->

Old 02-03-2011, 02:52 PM
RMBC Freeride
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for reposting that Troy. It comes up all the time around here. I fixed mine that way and it still works great.

Wish someone could sticky it or add it to the Tech/FAQ. Reps to you sir...

Old 02-03-2011, 03:00 PM
chazman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got a fix for the compass ? it's fine in the AM when it's cold but as soon as it warms up all I have is the square around the direction. I re-soldiered all the chips and it made it bright but the compass is still intermittent.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:09 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by chazman
Got a fix for the compass ? it's fine in the AM when it's cold but as soon as it warms up all I have is the square around the direction. I re-soldiered all the chips and it made it bright but the compass is still intermittent.
I wonder if you need to recalibrate it? If I recall, there was a section in the owner's manual on how to do it.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:05 PM
DPorter
More Turbo
I have the same issue recal does not help. the rest of the display is perfect. Just the compass not working.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:06 PM
1NiceHarley
Senior User
Chazman, I don't have a fix for the compass. I was just lucky to find the post on how to fix the display if it is dim or gone all together. I would try and re-aligning it also. Good luck! Let us know if that works. Edit: looks like DPorter didn't have luck with recaling it. I wonder if there is a loose connection in the connector? or somewhere else on the circuit board.
RMBC, thanks!

Old 02-03-2011, 09:07 PM
DPorter
More Turbo
and the compass is not dim

Old 02-03-2011, 10:24 PM
motopsyko32
Senior User
to recalibrate, go to a big lot. hold both buttons down until it goes into calibrate mode. It will ask you to select your section (owners guide has the US diveded by sections so you know which is yours).
Once selected, slowly drive in a complete circle until the CAL light goes out

Old 02-04-2011, 08:55 AM
chazman
Senior User
The compass is not dim when it works. When the direction goes away the square box around the cardinal point stays. bright as the rest of the display.
I've checked and rechecked connections and chips.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:29 PM
alexthetrainer
New User
Thanks for the fix Troy. Fixed mine today. I used a battery operated soldering pen and some Solder-it silver bearing solder paste. Works like a champ.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:07 PM
1NiceHarley
Senior User
Excellent! Glad the thead helped out!

Old 05-01-2011, 09:22 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too have the square box where the compass should be....

need to try the recalibrate, but wonder why it would lose calibration if it were set correctly before ...

Old 07-06-2011, 10:00 PM
BenLowers
New User
Variation for 2004 Excursion

Awesome DIY fix posted!

At first glance, the 620/680 chips looked fine :-( , but I took off my glasses, and saw one loose chip, then found three more to come loose with a gentle tug of my fingernail. Voilà! Soldered 'em all back on.

Put 'er back together, and now the LED is bright and clear now.

But I have a variation to the fix listed above - this is for a 2004 Excursion w/Eddie Baurer trim: the two center-area tension clips are now replaced with a single philips head screw in the forward storage (sunglasses) compartment. Drop the screw, then the last tension clip at rear of overhead cosole, and she came right down, hanging by the three connector cables.

Again, GREAT instructions! Now, did I unplug that soldering iron... !?

Last edited by BenLowers; 07-06-2011 at 10:11 PM. Reason: typos
Old 07-18-2011, 10:41 AM
MIRACLE2329
New User
Can anyone let me know if there's a way to get the board and lens... The whole control overboard is obsolete thru ford. Figured is there's a way to get the parts i need, could fix myself.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:22 PM
tunce
Junior User
I just hit my with my fist and it came right back to full brightness (seriously). Just call me the Fonz!

Quick Reply: Overhead display Fix