1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

True Ford Disc brake conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:31 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tazcliff
I respect all of your opinions but ultimately its my truck to build to my personal taste. I would never criticize someone for wanting to use a Chevy drive train or a jag front end even though I would never consider such swaps. In my eyes like Mervy and others have said my preference to keep my ford, ford.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. IMHO, I like doing things the easy way so if that means using non-Ford brake parts so be it. I am building my second Bonus Built truck. Went with a 350/350 on the first one and going 302/C4 on the second. So far, the 302/C4 has been more difficult and expensive than the 350/350. It makes me wonder why I'm doing it just to have a Ford in a Ford....

Old 02-03-2011, 10:56 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I respect all of your opinions but ultimately its my truck to build to my personal taste. I would never criticize someone for wanting to use a Chevy drive train or a jag front end even though I would never consider such swaps. In my eyes like Mervy and others have said my preference to keep my ford, ford.
Thats cool - I hope you get to drive it like you want it some day.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Swapping parts between VW, Porsche and Audi is a little like swapping parts from Buick, Olds and Pontiac. They are all made by the same company, VW. It's a lot less likely parts from your Saab will interchange with a BMW or an MG.

The problem with using Ford calipers is the design of the mounting isn't swap freindly. They're large and bulky, and in many older applications it's part of the spindle which can't be used.

GM calipers are used by the aftermarket because of the ease and simplicity of the attachment. And they work good. They can be adapted by means of a simple bracket bolted to the spindle.

My understanding is the 5 on 5 1/2 rotors used in the straight axle conversion are Ford truck parts from the 70's.

Why couldn't you do something similar with new Mustang parts? New cars use a disk brake hat without the integral hub like it used to be.

All you have to do is turn down your drum brake hub to fit inside the disk brake hat, and fab up a couple of caliper brackets. Then you'll have an all Ford disk brake kit. Camaros use a similar set-up to put C-5 and C-6 brakes on early models. The only problem is you will have to run 16-18 inch rims depending on what model you snag your brakes from.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:56 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust
Why couldn't you do something similar with new Mustang parts? New cars use a disk brake hat without the integral hub like it used to be.

All you have to do is turn down your drum brake hub to fit inside the disk brake hat, and fab up a couple of caliper brackets. Then you'll have an all Ford disk brake kit. Camaros use a similar set-up to put C-5 and C-6 brakes on early models. The only problem is you will have to run 16-18 inch rims depending on what model you snag your brakes from.
Yep you could but the issue is if tazcliff wants to keep the stock bolt pattern for the truck then the Mustang rotor won't fit. The trucks bolt pattern is 5x 5 1/2". While the Mustangs is 5x 4 1/2". If he wanted to change to the car bolt pattern I suppose the sock hubs might be able to be redrilled to the smaller pattern. But that would be a job for a machine shop.

What I think would be possible would be to run a 73-79 F150 2wd front hub/rotor assemblies. Then adapt the late model Mustang PBR front calipers by building some custom mounting brackets. You would have to do some searching/checking to make sure the F150 rotor width will work with the PBR calipers.

The Mustang PBR calipers mount with two bolts on a flat surface. So it should be pretty easy to make up a bracket to adapt them to the spindles.

Here's a break down pic.

Here's a pic of a pair of the calipers( the owner polished them ) .

I can't see any reason this wouldn't be doable. You would need the spindle adapters to run the F150 rotors though.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman75
Yep you could but the issue is if tazcliff wants to keep the stock bolt pattern for the truck then the Mustang rotor won't fit. The trucks bolt pattern is 5x 5 1/2". While the Mustangs is 5x 4 1/2". If he wanted to change to the car bolt pattern I suppose the sock hubs might be able to be redrilled to the smaller pattern. But that would be a job for a machine shop.

What I think would be possible would be to run a 73-79 F150 2wd front hub/rotor assemblies. Then adapt the late model Mustang PBR front calipers by building some custom mounting brackets. You would have to do some searching/checking to make sure the F150 rotor width will work with the PBR calipers.

The Mustang PBR calipers mount with two bolts on a flat surface. So it should be pretty easy to make up a bracket to adapt them to the spindles.

Here's a break down pic.

Here's a pic of a pair of the calipers( the owner polished them ) .

I can't see any reason this wouldn't be doable. You would need the spindle adapters to run the F150 rotors though.

It's important to match the size of the caliper and rotor...

Old 02-03-2011, 04:38 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Also the offset of the wheels to the rotor/caliper width

Old 02-03-2011, 06:47 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Moe Craig
It's important to match the size of the caliper and rotor...
You mean like those aftermarkets kits so carefully match up the gm intermediate calipers with volare and F150 rotors? You know they both use the same rotors. But I guess the only difference between a camaro, volare and F150 rotor must be the bolt pattern.

Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
Also the offset of the wheels to the rotor/caliper width
You have to do that whenever you are changing to different brakes. You have to check the back spacing and rim diameter.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
You mean like those aftermarkets kits so carefully match up the gm intermediate calipers with volare and F150 rotors? You know they both use the same rotors. But I guess the only difference between a camaro, volare and F150 rotor must be the bolt pattern..
Sorry I'm talking about the diameter of the Rotor and the radius of the centerpoint of the pistons of the caliper...

Old 02-03-2011, 07:25 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Moe Craig
Sorry I'm talking about the diameter of the Rotor and the radius of the centerpoint of the pistons of the caliper...
I know.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:54 PM
tazcliff
Cross-Country
Lots of options to consider

Old 02-03-2011, 10:02 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Yep and if you don't want aluminum calipers 99+ E350 SRW vans have a similar set up on the rear diff but they are cast iron. There are plenty of Ford options you just have to do a little digging and some thinking and maybe a little fabricating.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:08 AM
tazcliff
Cross-Country
Yep and if you don't want aluminum calipers 99+ E350 SRW vans have a similar set up on the rear diff but they are cast iron. There are plenty of Ford options you just have to do a little digging and some thinking and maybe a little fabricating.
Yes I do I was just hoping there was something put together already, good thing I have been around the business for a few years I'm sure I will come up with something even if I have to make my own brackets.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:21 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Yes I do I was just hoping there was something put together already, good thing I have been around the business for a few years I'm sure I will come up with something even if I have to make my own brackets.
A complete kit would have been nice. What I was going to do on mine was buy the basic disc brake bracket kit to get the required adapters for the F100 rotors. Pick up the rotors, some Ford calipers and fabricate new mounting brackets to mount the calipers.

The mounting brackets should be pretty simple to make! The caliper cages mount on a flat surface. So a mounting plate similar to what the current aftermarket kits use is what would be required. You might need to also make up a spacer block for the mounting plate. It depends on how the rotor & caliper are situated compared to the spindle.

Here's another caliper choice. Front calipers off a 2007 Ford 500. Priced right too.

Ford Five Hundred Brake Caliper - Akebono, Cardone, OEQ, PBR - 2007, 2006, 2005

Old 02-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Alcaeus
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If someone was to figure out how to fab the adapter for an all ford unit I would DEFINITELY buy it and it would probably be pretty easy to replicate... Just sayin...

Old 02-04-2011, 06:40 PM
councilman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keeping a Ford a Ford with Ford parts isn't about cheap and easy. It's just the simple taste of being satisfied with the best!!!

Quick Reply: True Ford Disc brake conversion?