6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Oil Change choices

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:31 AM
nycsteve
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil Change choices

So the manual gives a choice of full synthetic,synthetic blend,premum synthetic blend,and regular oil. Since I will be on the heavy duty maintainance shedual with a change evey 5000 miles I was thinking either the regular oil or the synth blend. I was told full synth will increase gas milage. True? Any advantage of premium synth blend over reg synth blend? Any issues using Mobil 1 synth?
In the past I never used synth, always on schedual with regular oil changes and had good results.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:31 PM
jlalanas
More Turbo
FWIW - I plan on going with the synthetic blend at 5k increments. I think my driving would fall more in the regular schedule, but rather be safe than sorry. Are you planning on DIY or having the dealer do it? If the later, any idea what the cost difference is between the oil grades?

Old 01-31-2011, 02:16 PM
RLBrown502
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nycsteve - I have always used full synthetics in all my vehicles and race bikes (I raced GNCC and hairscrambles). I cannot recall the exact difference between the reg. and premium snth blends, but with some research I am sure you find the difference between additives, and volume contained in each.

IMO - the synth blends are a waste of money but some people just can't bring themselves to spend the extra money on a full synthetic. I never had good success with the blends that I tested in my bikes. However, I have had great results with Mobile 1 full synth with a little bit of Lucas oil stabilizer added. I cracked a case during one race and I managed to finish with no oil left in the crankcase while using this combo...and yes there was some damage but nothing seized. I have used this combo successfully in my race bikes for the last 5 years and it has showed the least breakdown of all the oils I tested. The only other oil I would recommend is AMSOIL but it is a bit pricey.

I am sure you have heard it before....but oil is cheap insurance against failure. After my first oil change, I plan on using the Mobile 1/Lucas combo for the life of the vehicle.

Regards,
Rick

Old 01-31-2011, 08:13 PM
Radioactive 4x4
Senior User
I would have to agree on the full synthetic with the Lucas additive. I justify the price difference by doing it myself instead of $35 at a pull-in place. Just a word of advice tho, I was at my dealer last Weds checking on the body module that was suppose to catch fire or some crap and if there was any TSB's on "ticking" 6.2L ( yes, mine has started to do it at 850 miles) and I asked about changing oil and doing it myself. She said just to be sure to keep reciepts of oil bought and GET THIS you HAVE to use a Ford motorcraft filter only! She said Ford voided a warranty on a motor because there was an aftermarket oil filter on it. F'in CRAZY. I'd rather use a Bladwin filter over a FMC filter any day!

Old 02-01-2011, 07:57 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Everytime I read about someone using Lucus additives, I throw up in my mouth just a little bit.

I'm not sure if it's the same stuff, but my brother-in-law used the oil "stabilizer" or whatever it's called, and he lost TWO motors within a few months.

If the vehicle is under warranty, WHY SCREW with additives?

Old 02-02-2011, 11:51 AM
RLBrown502
New User
Originally Posted by Krewat
Everytime I read about someone using Lucus additives, I throw up in my mouth just a little bit.

I'm not sure if it's the same stuff, but my brother-in-law used the oil "stabilizer" or whatever it's called, and he lost TWO motors within a few months.

If the vehicle is under warranty, WHY SCREW with additives?
Hey, what can I say other than anything can happen, additives or not. Still, I can understand where you are coming from as i had similar experience when I lost the bottom end in a perfectly running 355 chevy 3 weeks after I started using the STP suppliment. I chose to use the additive after having a conversation with an old time gear head who swore by the stuff and had used it in everything he ever built. Nevertheless, I cringe everytime someone mentions an STP product.

Based on my experience, I have had a good track record using the Lucas product in several of my vehicles, and race bikes, and know of several other individuals who also use the product in some high end motors. However, I am sure any additive (even Lucas), can damage a motor if certain factors are provided.

My reasoning for using additives under warranty is because I am thinking of the long term wear on the motor after the warranty is up.

All it comes down to is personal experiences. If I had lost two motors due to a specific additive or fluid, then I would defnitely be voicing a strong opinion against its use.

BTW, what was the mileage and final analysis on your Brother-in-law's motors? Reason I am asking is because I have always had concerns with the over use of an additive, and also its beginning use in a higher mileage motor.

Thanks,

Rick

Old 02-02-2011, 01:01 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by RLBrown502
My reasoning for using additives under warranty is because I am thinking of the long term wear on the motor after the warranty is up.
My concern is what Ford would think about that "additive" and if they would honor the warranty with it. Something tells me they won't.

BTW, what was the mileage and final analysis on your Brother-in-law's motors? Reason I am asking is because I have always had concerns with the over use of an additive, and also its beginning use in a higher mileage motor.
Both motors suffered from catastrophic oil pressure loss. One, an I6-300 with around 80K miles spun a MAIN bearing. The other, a 351W with very high miles (>150K) lived, but never ever stopped ticking/knocking afterwards and went to the scrap yard before it blew up on it's own. He was religious about oil changes on the I6-300, so I can't imagine anything was building up inside the engine for the additive to break loose and cause problems.

But either way, they both seemed to have oil pump bypass valve problems within a few weeks, NOT RIGHT AWAY.

What I'm really concerned about is WARRANTY. Unless Ford says it's OK in the owner's manual, STAY AWAY. Any decent oil will be "stable" enough between oil changes.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Ford Big Rig
Mountain Pass
I always use Mobil 1, dont think I will go full synthetic till warranty goes out and use the maintenance schedule every 7500 miles..but I'm not towing anything that heavy.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5W20, Motorcraft filter, 5000 miles. As far as factory spec oils go, the Motorcraft gets great reviews, as well as good oil analysis. In my opinion there's no need to spend any more on so called boutique type oils.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:16 AM
ROTTEKATZ
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Radioactive 4x4
Just a word of advice tho, I was at my dealer last Weds checking on the body module that was suppose to catch fire or some crap and if there was any TSB's on "ticking" 6.2L ( yes, mine has started to do it at 850 miles)
TSB 10 25 07 addresses the rocker arm ticking. At least the dealer stocks the parts now.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Scrming
Senior User
Originally Posted by Radioactive 4x4
I would have to agree on the full synthetic with the Lucas additive. I justify the price difference by doing it myself instead of $35 at a pull-in place. Just a word of advice tho, I was at my dealer last Weds checking on the body module that was suppose to catch fire or some crap and if there was any TSB's on "ticking" 6.2L ( yes, mine has started to do it at 850 miles) and I asked about changing oil and doing it myself. She said just to be sure to keep reciepts of oil bought and GET THIS you HAVE to use a Ford motorcraft filter only! She said Ford voided a warranty on a motor because there was an aftermarket oil filter on it. F'in CRAZY. I'd rather use a Bladwin filter over a FMC filter any day!
Hmmm... this is a clear violation of Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act!

From the K&N site:

"Under this federal statute, a manufacturer, who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle, is prohibited from requiring you to use a particular brand of air filter, oil filter, or other service or maintenance item, unless such item is provided, free of charge, under your warranty or unless the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) waives this prohibition against the manufacturer. K&N is unaware of any exemption or waiver granted by the FTC to any motor vehicle manufacturer, which pertains to air filters or oil filters."

link:

Letter from K&N CEO - Automotive Dealers Voiding a Warranty due to a K&N Replacement Filter

Also check out:

SEMA SAN - SEMA ACTION NETWORK

Old 02-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Radioactive 4x4
Senior User
Originally Posted by Scrming
Hmmm... this is a clear violation of Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act!

From the K&N site:

"Under this federal statute, a manufacturer, who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle, is prohibited from requiring you to use a particular brand of air filter, oil filter, or other service or maintenance item, unless such item is provided, free of charge, under your warranty or unless the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) waives this prohibition against the manufacturer. K&N is unaware of any exemption or waiver granted by the FTC to any motor vehicle manufacturer, which pertains to air filters or oil filters."

link:

Letter from K&N CEO - Automotive Dealers Voiding a Warranty due to a K&N Replacement Filter

Also check out:

SEMA SAN - SEMA ACTION NETWORK

Good to know! Thanks Scrming

Old 02-03-2011, 09:05 PM
RLBrown502
New User
Krewat - thanks for sharing the examples. I honestly have no idea how the Lucas could have caused those failures but I am sure it did play a part given the mileage on both motors. Whenever I switched to full synthetic or an additive with high friction modifiers in a high mileage vehicle, I usually ended up with leaking seals, spun bearings, or some other odd failure. Thus, the reason why I would start using the full synthetics after break-in, rather than later with higher mileage.

Scrming - Interesting find.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:00 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Krewat - thanks for sharing the examples. I honestly have no idea how the Lucas could have caused those failures but I am sure it did play a part given the mileage on both motors.
Yeah, I have no idea why either, but the fact that they both did it within a few weeks of using the "stabilizer", meanwhile the guy had been doing all his own oil changes for years with the exact same oil, well, extremely fishy to me.

In my opinion, if you need a "stabilizer" I would start changing the oil more frequently then once a year

Old 02-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Radioactive 4x4
Senior User
Originally Posted by Krewat
Yeah, I have no idea why either, but the fact that they both did it within a few weeks of using the "stabilizer", meanwhile the guy had been doing all his own oil changes for years with the exact same oil, well, extremely fishy to me.

In my opinion, if you need a "stabilizer" I would start changing the oil more frequently then once a year
Dang, your suppose to change it more frequently than once a year now? CRAP I didn't get the memo

Quick Reply: Oil Change choices