Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

Repair Bill -

Old 01-30-2011, 01:40 PM
dugoutdoug
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repair Bill -

Last week I got my 2005 F-250 6.0L back from the dealership-they replaced head gaskets-egr cooler- kit-valve asy-another kit and element-plus oil and antifreeze-and a O-ring Kit- 96,700 miles - 5 years was up- no warranty - Price was $ 4200.00- does this seem fair ?

Old 01-30-2011, 03:14 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
$4200 repair bill Guess that's why I keep driving older vehicles, if one of them needs serious repairs, just park it and buy another

Old 01-31-2011, 12:21 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dugoutdoug
Last week I got my 2005 F-250 6.0L back from the dealership-they replaced head gaskets-egr cooler- kit-valve asy-another kit and element-plus oil and antifreeze-and a O-ring Kit- 96,700 miles - 5 years was up- no warranty - Price was $ 4200.00- does this seem fair ?
Yeah, it's about right considering the flat rate they charge. When I had mine in to diagnosis a dead miss, they wanted $2k to replace four injectors (all on the same side). I did the work myself and even after paying the FedEx Ground to ship in and the cores out...it cost me $800 and a Saturday's worth of time. The injectors on the 6.0L are expensive...I shudder at the thought of what 6.4L & 6.7L might cost. There's allot of information in the 6.0L tech folder on how to do the work. The one thing I wish I had is an AE so I can read the codes...maybe I can check that one off my list this year.
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Guess that's why I keep driving older vehicles, if one of them needs serious repairs, just park it and buy another
Not all of us live out in the sticks where we can part 20-30 rides in the yard. I know one of my neighbors doesn't like it when the Pavement Princess is at the house...let alone the Ranchero in the backyard. But then I don't care what he thinks...

Old 01-31-2011, 12:29 PM
johnbrown
Junior User
code reader

Hi, i called O'riellys and they told me if i bring my 95psd to their store i could have use
of their code reader if i leave my DL at the counter and take the reader out to the parking lot to scan my truck or i could take it home if i would allow them to charge my credit card $215.00 so if i do not bring it back i lose $215.00.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:18 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by johnbrown
Hi, i called O'riellys and they told me if i bring my 95psd to their store i could have use
of their code reader if i leave my DL at the counter and take the reader out to the parking lot to scan my truck or i could take it home if i would allow them to charge my credit card $215.00 so if i do not bring it back i lose $215.00.
Yeah, you could do that in a bind. But an AE allows you to read so much more than a simple hand-held code reader. Yeah, they're $340 through RiffRaff...but the version I'm looking at allows me to read all Fords built after '94...including all the PSD (some of the '94 7.3L may not display all data). As many Fords are in my family, this tool will pay it's self off quickly.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:04 AM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by zhilton
Not all of us live out in the sticks where we can part 20-30 rides in the yard. I know one of my neighbors doesn't like it when the Pavement Princess is at the house...let alone the Ranchero in the backyard. But then I don't care what he thinks...
Thats the best part about livin in the sticks, NO Neighbors!!

Old 02-01-2011, 05:51 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by tojoski
Thats the best part about livin in the sticks, NO Neighbors!!
I sometimes wish that were true out here, no close neighbors, but everyone knows what you do before you do it!

Old 02-01-2011, 01:02 PM
planehunter
Elder User
To any repair business.....Time Is Money. Most repairs seem to be 30% parts, 70% labor.
Of course you are getting retail+ parts cost too.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Don't feel bad. I just did 8 injectors on a DuraMax at work. The *parts* portion of the bill was $4700.
The labor side wasn't near as high, nor was it high enough. :-)

I did another one today that had a leaking front seal. I don't believe I've ever seen a worse front seal leak in 20 years of doing this. There was a heavy mist of nasty black oil over the entire engine compartment. I think I ruined a uniform shirt.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:07 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
Don't feel bad. I just did 8 injectors on a DuraMax at work. The *parts* portion of the bill was $4700.
Holy Crap! Even if I paid FoMoCo for all the parts (sticks & o-rings), wouldn't have paid $2500 for 8 sticks in my truck. But then, that's me doing the work...and not a dealership.
I did another one today that had a leaking front seal. I don't believe I've ever seen a worse front seal leak in 20 years of doing this. There was a heavy mist of nasty black oil over the entire engine compartment. I think I ruined a uniform shirt.
Wonder how long it had been leaking like that? One of the things I miss from working at Caterpillar, company supplied & cleaned uniforms. I'm certain I've destroyed my fair share of uniforms. The "end-less" supply of shop rags was nice too.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:15 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnbrown
Although this will work for most OBD-II vehicles it will not read anything more than generic body codes on the diesel motors, as they do not comply with the same rules. All the more reason for the AE, great live stream data, graphs, and a great OBD-II reader in general, it will perform any function that a code reader at the big box stores will, and then add the data and ability to perform tests. Great investment.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:23 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
The *parts* portion of the bill was $4700.
And you folks wonder why I wouldn't own a late model, computer controled engine. Hell, I can buy 2 trucks for your one repair bill

Old 02-04-2011, 04:32 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Preaching to the choir, Jeff, although I did pay $5k for the Jeep I bought Lynn for Christmas. That's the most I've paid for a 4 wheeled vehicle in 17 years. I paid more than that for 2 of the 3 Harley's though, but they weren't new.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:21 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
I paid more than that for 2 of the 3 Harley's though, but they weren't new.
I paid more for my 89 Softail than I paid for the last two trucks I bought combined. I don't buy new or for that matter slightly used, pretty much if it's not a project, I keep looking.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:23 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
And you folks wonder why I wouldn't own a late model, computer controled engine. Hell, I can buy 2 trucks for your one repair bill
The Exploder I traded in for my truck was a 15 year old ride that I think I got most of the good out of; after 13 years it was time for something a little more suited to current/future needs. And if you think those rates are high...have a "yellow bellied dirt pusher" picked up, and taken to a dealership shop to have the pins turned. The sad part is, I was the poor sap that got caught in the middle of it sometimes...and I wasn't aware of what I was driving into

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Repair Bill -