Oregon Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 892504x4

My new home ( a work in progress...)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 08:45 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking My new home ( a work in progress...)

Here it is guys. My new home! I figured I'd start a thread and show the whole completion of my newest project..........

This is the front of the house. Note the new roof, siding, and windows.....

This is a picture of the back of the house. The two doors will be coming out and be replaced by a sliding glass door on the left side. I'll be building a covered deck from the left side to about halfway down the length of the house. And can FINALLY install my hot-tub on the deck.......

This is a shot from the kitchen into the living room/ dining room.

This is a shot from the front door. The kitchen door will be coming out, and the wall of the utility room will be replaced by a sliding glass door leading out to the new covered deck.

I'm really glad to buy it unfinished because it allows me to move some interior walls, and install audio/tv/computer wiring in the whole house. No more cords strung across the floors!

If you guys don't get to bored I'll post more pictures as we progress with the job. I don't think its such a bad deal at $34,000. My payments are $224.38/month, and NO payments for the first 90 days...................

Old 01-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Tennessee Toy
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Don,

Looks awesome. Boy i would love to have that house note.
I look forward to seeing your progress.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:21 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Thanks Brian. This is something I've been trying to put together for the last two months. Finally got bank approval thursday and I'm stoked!

Old 01-29-2011, 10:22 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very cool Don!

Old 01-29-2011, 11:33 PM
bertha66
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, very cool, I like the roof line on the eves on the ends.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:32 AM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice place Don! It may be a buddies house, or ex house I should say lol. I can't recall as it was about 5am when I got in and only had a cup of coffee in me headed out hunting. You need some help I would be willing to help ya!

Old 01-30-2011, 11:10 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
You sure are lucky to be able to move interior walls! You get to pick the floor plan yourself! How neat!

Questions, questions, I got's questions!

How many of the other units in the area are already occupied? This is in the cul-de-sac area to the northeast of the main part of the base, right?

Can you roughly finish the attic floor for storage?

Remember, you can NEVER have too many electrical outlets in the kitchen and bathroom! Don't forget the GFI's.

Are you on a septic system? How long since the tank has been pumped? Is it a seepage pit or leech lines for the effluent disposal?

Gas? Propane or natural? All-electric??

No overhead electrical is nice, especially if you ever have freezing rain.

Are the windows currently double-paned, or do they need replacing, too?

Is there room for you later add a garage or carport?

What a GREAT project, and every nail will be a labor-of-love! Enjoy every minute of THIS one!

Wow! How neat!

Pop

Old 01-30-2011, 11:15 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Congrats Don, it looks great!

Old 01-30-2011, 11:29 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
You sure are lucky to be able to move interior walls! You get to pick the floor plan yourself! How neat!

Questions, questions, I got's questions!

How many of the other units in the area are already occupied? This is in the cul-de-sac area to the northeast of the main part of the base, right?

It's the second home from the end, north side of the road, on the far west end of the homes.
About 1/3 of the homes have been sold, and there are several that are half/finished like the one we bought.

Can you roughly finish the attic floor for storage?

Yes!

Remember, you can NEVER have too many electrical outlets in the kitchen and bathroom! Don't forget the GFI's.

I'm going to rewire the whole house, and add circuits for the hot tub and outside lighting. All new GFCI's too....

Are you on a septic system? How long since the tank has been pumped? Is it a seepage pit or leech lines for the effluent disposal?

No septic system at all. The whole radar base has it's own sewer system.

Gas? Propane or natural? All-electric??

I'm adding a new Monitor Propane wall heater in the main liv/din/kitchen area. The 3 bedrooms will all have wall mount elect heaters so we can control the temps in each. The old 60 gal hot water heater is coming out, and will be replaced with a under counter on demand propane water heater.

No overhead electrical is nice, especially if you ever have freezing rain.

Are the windows currently double-paned, or do they need replacing, too?

All the windows have been replaced with new vinyl thermopane windows

Is there room for you later add a garage or carport?

There is a large double car garage that is shared with the house next door. It has a wall down the middle that seporates the two sides. It also has new siding, roofing, doors, and thermo windows.

What a GREAT project, and every nail will be a labor-of-love! Enjoy every minute of THIS one!

Wow! How neat!

Pop
Thanks Marv. We think it will make a nice place to retire. and my new shop is less than a quarter mile away!
Don.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:10 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Ahhh, there it is! Right there on Mario Road!

And now I understand the building out back.

Mapquest does a better job of showing it than Google Earth, and appears to be a more current shot, though not as close-up.

Looks like this is going to be a very-well-kept secret retirement community. I sincerely wish you to have all like-minded, kindred souls, as neighbors out there!

Pop

Old 01-30-2011, 12:27 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
They renamed the road. It's now Mountain View Drive.............lol

So far, I'll be the only retiree there. The others are all young familys, with kids. That's ok though I have 4 grandkids that come by often! ( besides I'll be at the shop.........)

I found a bunch more pics on the web: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=636t...rer_searched=1

Just found this, way cooool! http://www.radomes.org/museum/showsi...Condon+AFS,+OR

Old 01-30-2011, 12:33 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats Don. At 34k you simply cant lose. A real benefit to build it all out yourself too, knowing everything about the improvements therein. Good Luck, looking real good so far.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:41 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Thanks Ed. I think it's a great deal also. They have a couple of 3 bedroom homes they did finish and they have been selling in the 110k range. If this one works out good I may buy a couple more, finish them out and rent or sell them. They have about a half a dozen that are in the same stage as the one I bought, and about the same price.......

They also have a couple that are rented out long term to the guys that work for the wind farms, and their getting $650/month for a two bedroom. Pretty good cash flow if my payments are in the $250/month range.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:57 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Originally Posted by fabmandelux
They also have a couple that are rented out long term to the guys that work for the wind farms, and their getting $650/month for a two bedroom. Pretty good cash flow if my payments are in the $250/month range.
Ooooooo...

Retirement income! Like-ee, like-ee!

Of course, the whole wind-generation thing could go down the drain, despite our fearless leader's desires, and a bag could be left holding.

Pop

Old 01-30-2011, 01:05 PM
bendog
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice, tons of potential, congrats!

Quick Reply: My new home ( a work in progress...)