2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Power mirror memory

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:33 AM
joiseystud
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power mirror memory

My mirrors are not moving to their position when I use the memory buttons on the seat. Any idea whay could be wrong?

Old 12-29-2011, 05:16 PM
RI-Matt
Senior User
Red face Bringing back an old thread

Did you ever figure out what was wrong? My passenger side mirror isn't going back to where I set it. What's weird is it "usually" goes back to where my wife has hers saved. I can move it all around so I dont think it's the mirror itself. I was thinking its got to be the memory modue under the drivers seat that controls all the memory functions but was curious if anyone ran to this issue before.

Matt

Old 12-30-2011, 02:11 AM
f150dave2002
New User
Not the same but after having the heated seat connector replaced I parked and went to get out and instead of going to the full back position, the seat went forward into the steering wheel... I was thinking a Christine type problem. I had to reach for the control button on the seat and the seat stopped going forward. Had to manually power the seat to the full back position. it's a 2007 Expy EB.

Time to disconnect the battery and see if the truck can re learn the seat memory and mirror positions...

Old 01-09-2012, 04:14 PM
cstanley44
Senior User
Note sure if you expect them to move when putting the key in the ignition but I believe the mirrors move when you unlock with the keyfob

Did you set the mirror position?
If memory serves me right, you need to put the seat and mirrors in your required arrangement, press the memory seat SET button, press the UNLOCK on the keyfob, then the memory seat NUMBER you want to save.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:14 PM
RI-Matt
Senior User
Originally Posted by cstanley44
Note sure if you expect them to move when putting the key in the ignition but I believe the mirrors move when you unlock with the keyfob

Did you set the mirror position?
If memory serves me right, you need to put the seat and mirrors in your required arrangement, press the memory seat SET button, press the UNLOCK on the keyfob, then the memory seat NUMBER you want to save.
I am setting exactly how the manual says to.
1. Adjust the seat, pedals and mirrors to desired position
2. Press the SET button.
3. Within 5 seconds of pressing the SET button press "1" ( or "2" in my case - my wife is #1 )

I can do this and everything is set. Then say I press the other preset for my wife, it goes to that seat and mirror position. But when I press my preset again everything goes back except the passenger mirror. It moves a little but not back where I had it. If I hit it again it might move a little bit more but not quite back to the correct spot. Doesnt matter if I use the remote or just press the button on the side of the seat.
The only thing that moves when I insert the key is the seat does the "Easy Enty" thing.

Matt

Old 01-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I have never gotten those presets to work properly

The Expy is possessed. Some days it'll work 100%...some days only the seat, or maybe the mirrors.

Completely random. It's probably user error, I just need to figure out what my issue is. I hate driving after the wife. She's 5'4" and I'm 6'3"...so you can imagine the seat/mirror changes

Old 01-10-2012, 05:18 PM
RI-Matt
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tylus
I hate driving after the wife. She's 5'4" and I'm 6'3"...so you can imagine the seat/mirror changes
I dont have to imagine, my wife is 5' and I'm 6' so its about the same difference.

I'm gonna have to bring the Expy to the dealer and have them replace the DSM module. According to everything I've read this thing controls all the memory functions so I think it's the likely culprit.

Matt

Old 07-21-2012, 03:10 PM
raford
New User
I am having a similar problem, but I found a partial workaround. Try a couple repeated presses of the setting button. With my truck, when I shift from reverse to drive, the mirrors don't go back to my memory setting. What I do is, instead of shifting to drive I shift to park, take my foof off the brake, and hold down the number 1 memory button. The mirrors go back to the correct setting. Sometimes they go back in increments, so it makes me wonder if it is a binding or lubrication problem.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:15 PM
evilwunn
Junior User
I have the same problem but it's my drivers side mirror that acts up.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:01 AM
repguns
Freshman User
Same problem here, when I press my #, all memory functions work, except passenger mirror, it actually moves to the farthest point and then "clicks" 3 times against the stop. I have fixed this with a battery disconnect.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:50 PM
raford
New User
Originally Posted by repguns
I have fixed this with a battery disconnect.
Would you please give more detail to "fixed it"????

Old 08-11-2012, 05:02 PM
repguns
Freshman User
Originally Posted by raford
Would you please give more detail to "fixed it"????
Had to replace the battery in the Expy. the disconnect fixed the problem so far.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:36 PM
EcoBoostExpedition
New User
More of the same.

I've been searching for a resolution to an issue with my mirrors and memory function in my 05 EB Expy for a few years now and I'm curious as to whether or not anyone has made any progress since the 11th.

Some history: I've gotten 3 new driver's seat tracks, 4 new driver's seat motors (newest one seems to be working...usually).

Now my driver's side mirror goes full up or full down when I press a preset. It will go full up or down, click around 3 times, then stay there. I readjust, press SET and my memory button, and it works for another couple of weeks. The 1 and 2 memory functions have been fully set since day 1 (in October 2004) and they get reset constantly because of the mirror, the seat, battery disconnects, ford technicians, whatever. Both key fobs are currently set as 1 or 2. I know it all usually works, and everything is set I just don't know why my mirror all of a sudden decided it needs more exercise.

Every now and then my easy exit seat will slide fully back and then can't decide how far away from the end of the seat rails it needs to be. It's a full back, forward a little, back a little, forward a little, back a little, forward a little, back a little, stop type of phenomenon. Really weird, started within a few weeks of the mirror too.

Usually this all happens when it's warmer out but the Expy has been chilling on the driveway since Oct of 04 (all 73,563.x miles) so it's not like it's new to heat and sunlight or anything. Plus I live in the Eastern Bay Area of CA so it never *really* gets hot here for more than like a month out of the year.

Anyway, maybe it's a shorted wire? The DSM logic board could be separating from itself from the heat after all these years?
It's pretty frustrating and my extended warranty is going to run out in about a year so a solid fix (which I know will never come) would be a great peace of mind for my wallet. Anyone with some ideas or info would be greatly appreciated! I'm heading up to my Ford service tomorrow to see if they can help me out at all or have any ideas.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:51 PM
repguns
Freshman User
Spoke too soon about the battery disconnect fix - it is now back to going full right for 10 clicks or so.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 PM
EcoBoostExpedition
New User
Alright so I just had the fastest trip to my Ford dealer I've ever had and this is what came from it:
2 (left and right) new mirror assemblies and the PCM module for the driver's seat/mirrors/pedal memory system.

Let me quickly explain the mirror assemblies, when you move the mirror in any direction using the interior switch, the mirror motor motion (say that 10x fast) is choppy and not smooth. The technician "advised me" to replace both since I still have warranty and they're both covered.

Now for the rest of it, when I arrived the service advisor heard my description and immediately thought it was the PCM that controls the memory function. His first advice was to disconnect the battery for 3 minutes or more, resetting all the computers in the car to factory default. I was fine with this but then I decided to let the technician take a look at it hoping they would trust me on my own diagnosis and just order parts under my Ford ESP. At first, the tech thought I was talking about the choppy motion in the mirror motor but then I described my actual issue to him in person and without any doubt he said "let's order you a new PCM module for the memory system" and I was quite happy about that since I knew that's what needed to be replaced.

Although the tech was unable to verify my issue, within minutes I hit unlock on my fob and the mirror went full tilt up. I grabbed the service advisor and he was able to verify that I needed a new PCM module for the memory function.

I'm not sure what the part number is, I'm sure it's not hard to find, but I should have a part number for both the mirror assemblies and the memory PCM in case anyone needs it.

I hope this actually fixes my problem!

Quick Reply: Power mirror memory