Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Brake line tubing...check this out..

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:38 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Brake line tubing...check this out..

Hey Guys and maybe a gal... I was at my local Parker Store today and the guys showed me a new product they were carrying..They have made brake hoses for awhile which about 1/3 of the price you pay on-line for custom brake hoses..Allot of local hot rodders use these guys..any way they are carrying tubing now..It is a carbon nickel tubing that won't rust and is very easy to work..You can flare it or use compression fittings..very easy to work with. comes in a roll and runs about $3.50 a foot there..you don't have to buy a whole from them just what you need...Here is the websight for the company BrakeQuip Products; Automotive Fittings, Brake Hose and Fittings including Brake Hose Fittings and Others

Old 01-19-2011, 09:34 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never heard of it before. Only stuff I saw recently was something with some sort of plastic coating on a metal tube. "armor-something" in the name.

Sounds interesting though.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:39 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
I haven't used it yet....I am going to get some and have it around.....I like the "no rust" and allot cheaper then stainless.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:41 PM
David85
Lead Driver
I can't even get stainless here (at least never when I need it LOL)

But it does sound promising.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:46 PM
catfish101
Posting Guru
At $3.50 a foot too...

Old 01-19-2011, 10:11 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by David85
Never heard of it before. Only stuff I saw recently was something with some sort of plastic coating on a metal tube. "armor-something" in the name.
You're thinking of the "Poly-Armor", the green-coated lines sold in AutoZone and Advance, likely other chain stores as well. Those actually work great, and they tend to be pretty rust-resistant even when the coating has been damaged.

The carbon-nickel lines must be the new stuff the parts guy was telling me about, supposedly even easier than the poly-armor to bend with the same or better anti-corrosion properties... Never tried it tho, not yet at least.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:49 PM
ManicMike
Senior User
Originally Posted by LCAM-01XA
You're thinking of the "Poly-Armor", the green-coated lines sold in AutoZone and Advance, likely other chain stores as well. Those actually work great, and they tend to be pretty rust-resistant even when the coating has been damaged.

The carbon-nickel lines must be the new stuff the parts guy was telling me about, supposedly even easier than the poly-armor to bend with the same or better anti-corrosion properties... Never tried it tho, not yet at least.

Wow, this is freaky.. I had to replace my front brake like today (runs from passenger wheel to driver wheel). I went with that "poly-armor" stuff. Man, it's sweet! I EASILY bent it by hand and now my truck has brakes lol

Old 01-19-2011, 11:08 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Did that rub on the fuel line, or one of the rivets for the TTB brackets?

Old 01-19-2011, 11:11 PM
ManicMike
Senior User
Originally Posted by LCAM-01XA
Did that rub on the fuel line, or one of the rivets for the TTB brackets?
Actually on the oil filter. I reran it and tied it out of the way for the new one.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:25 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by catfish101
It is a carbon nickel tubing that won't rust....
COPPER nickel, not carbon. Big difference there. I've heard of it before, but it doesn't really seem to be available this side of the pond for some reason. Probably because it would make too much sense with all the frickin' salt they dump on the roads.

I didn't see anything on that site that mentioned a price, it seemed more like a wholesaler type website. But last time I needed some brake line, I ordered a couple rolls of the steel stuff and it came out to probably like 60 cents a foot, so $3.50 a foot isn't really the best deal. The stuff I got isn't the fancy plastic coated, but I did paint it before install to hopefully last a bit longer.

All I can find for copper-nickel brake line (tube) on ebay comes from the UK and would come in ~$1.50 a foot if the exchange rate and shipping are true.

When my current stock of steel line runs out, I might be willing to give it a try if I can find a good price. A better solution in my mind is to stop poisoning our trucks (and the environment!!!) by cutting back or stopping the over salting of the roads.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:05 AM
catfish101
Posting Guru
COPPER nickel, not carbon. Big difference there
Your right...Thats makes more sense because when I typed it something didn't ring right...Carbon would make it very hard and hard to work with...It doesn't rust..Which makes even more sense...Bare with me, I can't remember somebodies name for 30 seconds... but I can remember a truck I worked on 10 years ago with great detail...

Tell me about the salt...The calcium chloride is allot worse then the salt...Problem is that the public complains so much about the roads and all the taxes they pay etc...It won't stop.....

3.50 really isn't bad for something that will last basically for ever if no holes are rubbed in it..Like silicone heater hose....Last forever if no holes are rubbed in it..

Old 01-20-2011, 12:21 AM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tecgod13
A better solution in my mind is to stop poisoning our trucks (and the environment!!!) by cutting back or stopping the over salting of the roads.
Wishful thinking there man, but you know it ain't happening - that would, after all, take some common sense, and we all know how endangered that species is as of lately...

Originally Posted by catfish101
3.50 really isn't bad for something that will last basically for ever if no holes are rubbed in it..Like silicone heater hose....Last forever if no holes are rubbed in it..
Oh yeah, silicone hoses are the thing! Too bad no one makes them for our trucks...

Old 01-20-2011, 12:54 AM
David85
Lead Driver
Yes, that was it - "poly-armor". Seemed to work ok, but I am a skeptic at heart so when some one behind the desk says it works great I tend to have my doubts. It did work but it will be at least another 5-10 years before I know if it really is more rust resistant than the regular line material.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You guys think you have salt problems, here they are using the salt brine from gas wells to treat the calcium chloride when they load it on the trucks.

Drops the minimum melt temperature by about 10 degrees.

Makes the calcium chloride about 200% more corrosive on your vehicle.
Also destroys the roads three times as fast.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:46 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
youd think they would have figured that one out by now. damn insane.

Quick Reply: Brake line tubing...check this out..