Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Line-X experience(2 thumbs way down)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 05:18 PM
62rag
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Line-X experience(2 thumbs way down)

To make a long story short: Line-X of Larimer County CO installed a non- Line-X liner in my truck. I was told this by a newer dealer(other dealer closed) when I went to inquire about getting my bumpers done.

The brown that I thought was from wood rubbing on the liner, was actually the tan liner underneath the gray PAINT that had scraped off the top. The new dealer that I spoke to knew immediately where and when I had the liner done. This tells me that the company has knowledge of the situation. He showed me how the color match was just a top coat of paint, when in fact it should have been solid through the liner.

More importantly: Now that the first dealer is out of business, I have turned to the corporation for answers, and have received none. I was told that I would receive a call from the Colorado area distribution manager(?) and have heard from no one. When I call, they know my name, as though it's somewhat important. But it will be one month since first contact this Friday, with no communication what-so-ever. Support for customer so far- ZERO.

If anyone here is a distributor/dealer, please help put me in contact with anyone that can help. As I see it: I paid a premium for a Line-X liner which I did not receive.

Thank you-

See photo for proof:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5288/...94ae1090cc.jpg

Old 01-12-2011, 06:14 PM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow. I am sorry to hear of your extremely poor experience with a Line-X dealer.
I have nothing but good things to say about the 1st State Line-X in DE, where I had my truck done and fixed one time immediately under the lifetime warranty.
I hope corporate does the right thing for you! They must realize how powerful word of mouth advertising (whether it be positive or negative) is and hopefully will want to not endanger all other dealers because of this one shop's miserable performance.
Good luck, and keep us posted with your progress!

Old 01-13-2011, 08:34 PM
62rag
Senior User
I still have my fingers crossed that something good will come of this. A friendly Line-X dealer did contact me after the original post. Hopefully it can be resolved to some level of satisfaction.

I will keep you advised.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:42 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Hope it works out. I'm sure they don't want the negative feedback here. Wouldn't be good for bidniss.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:20 PM
ganzey
Senior User
wow that sucks. when i got my truck it had a line-x emblem in the bed. it seems to be holding up quite fine

Old 01-20-2011, 05:57 PM
62rag
Senior User
Going to meet with representative that will be in my area beginning of February....

Old 01-20-2011, 11:23 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Well at least they finally got back to you. Let us know what happens...

Old 02-09-2011, 10:00 AM
62rag
Senior User
Where I'm at with this:

I talked to the regional rep who looked at my truck, and another dealer who looked at it too. They both said that it was indeed Line-X in my truck, and that the LINER material was holding up well. It is not peeling, bubbling, etc. The trouble is with the color-matched top coat that is wearing away from use.

The regional rep said that he personally does not recommend a color-matched liner in a superduty because basically it as going to be used as a truck. What has happened to my liner is that as the colored top coat has worn away from use, the underlying base coat has been exposed to the sun light, and turned it a greenish tan. Not uncommon he says. Also, the color coat is specifically not covered under warranty. So- It seems to me that it is pretty much expected to do this(why sell it then?).

So that leaves me with two options(both at my expense)-
1) Get a new color matched topcoat sprayed, so that I can expect the same thing to happen again in a few years.
Or
2) Get their Renew product: that would be a black topcoat on top of a black base coat, on top of what I have(black on top and bottom so scuffs through won't show)

Or I could just leave it and call it "a grey/tan/green camouflage bed liner"

In summary: The very first dealer never told me that I shouldn't use my truck as a truck. The second dealer who told me it wasn't Line-X was wrong. Don't buy a Line-X color matched liner if you use your truck to haul anything.

In their defense they did make special accommodations to see my truck in person. Also, people on this forum did make calls on my behalf to get the wheels in motion. Many thanks!

Would I recommend them to anyone else? Not yet, although I will eventually, and begrudgingly, get it redone.

Last edited by 62rag; 02-10-2011 at 08:35 AM. Reason: correction
Old 02-11-2011, 03:26 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Here's some additional information that may ease the pain, but not your wallet.

I re-read your first post looking for when you originally had your truck sprayed but didn't find the answer. So, if it was before LINE-X Xtra was introduced (for colors), then I agree that the bedliner should be used for light duty only. Typically, those bedliners utilized DuPont Nason which doesn't have the durability of Xtra.

If the coating is LINE-X Xtra AND the Xtra was applied at the proper thickness AND the Xtra was applied properly, then I disagree with that the bed should only be used for light duty.

Also, PM sent for more info.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:18 PM
62rag
Senior User
Got your PM, reply sent. It was originally sprayed in October 2006.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:04 PM
joethef150guy
Junior User
two cents worth...

i had my truck Line-X'ed as soon as i got it almost two years ago. when i bought it, i had no reason to disbelieve anything I'd heard from them about it, except that it seemed to me the liner would be vulnerable to anything heavy and edged sliding around the bed... like metal stuff, such as a chain with a hook, or a shovel, etc.
so i bought a cheap piece of ... i forget what it's called - not plywood, but like that only made from wood chips. anyway, it was cheap, about 15$ for a piece that fits on the bottom of the bed, and i don't worry about the linex getting scratched through. just seemed like a cheap common sense kind of thing to do to protect a 400 dollar investment.
i don't worry about the sides since i expect it would be rare for something to develop much pressure on the vertical surfaces.
i don't have any experience with fade since i have a cap.

like i said, just my two cents...

Old 05-20-2011, 06:20 AM
Jim_Rockford
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 62rag
Where I'm at with this:
The regional rep said that he personally does not recommend a color-matched liner in a superduty because basically it as going to be used as a truck. What has happened to my liner is that as the colored top coat has worn away from use,

I would have asked his ******* what the hell else would you use a frigging truck for...WORK, Its a damn work vehicle.