New Jersey Chapter Join Chapter Leader: sddesigns

Anyone have Historic Plates?

Old 01-06-2011, 09:12 AM
smashclash
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have Historic Plates?

Anyone have them? My truck is an 86 and now could qualify as a Historic vehicle in NJ. According to the DMV website to qualify as a Historic vehicle you must meet the following requirements:

To be considered a historic vehicle, the vehicle must be at least 25 years old and only used for exhibition and educational purposes by the owner. Historic plates can be purchased for $44.

To purchase Historic plates in-person at select agencies
For your convenience, standard Historic plates - except motorcycles - may be purchased in-person at select motor vehicle locations:
  • Complete Application for Historic Vehicle Registration [pdf, Form SP-121]
  • Visit local motor vehicle agencies in Eatontown, Flemington, Manahawkin, North Bergen, Randolph, Runnemede, Springfield or Wayne
  • Bring two color photographs of the vehicle: front view and side view (right or left)
  • Bring a copy of your vehicle's New Jersey title
  • Pay $44 fee

I rarely drive my truck. It's mostly for the occasional run to Home Depot/Lowe's, trip offroading in the woods, and pulling a boat in the summer. It certainly sees less than 3K miles/year.

I know one advantage to qualify as a historic vehicle would mean no more inspections which basically only means I could eliminate the cats if they were to fall off. But what other advantages are there? Would my insurance go down?

Lastly, it says to be historic it must be for educational or exhibition purposes. What does exhibition purpose mean?

Old 01-06-2011, 01:46 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
show truck.
i have them on my 79 pickup, and on my 65 falcon and 66 7 litre.
one time fee for the plates, and the registration is good for 3 years. there is no renewal fee.
if you can get classic car insurance on it, it is very cheap. i pay $192 per year for the 2 cars.
the 79 is not clean enough yet for classic insurance, so i just have basic liability on it.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:21 AM
kevincw
Posting Guru
My brother has historic plates on his '75 f250 highboy. You can also drive it to get it repaired or for a road test after repairs are made (wink. wink).

Old 01-25-2011, 06:25 PM
qbenplaya00
Posting Guru
ya man got historic plates on mine. its a 74... i drive it almost everyday cops haven't said anything (knock on wood.) but i have it legit so they cant. go for it its better. plus cooler (in my opinion)

Search this Thread