Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

1991 F250 7.3L IDI Project

Old 12-30-2010, 03:20 AM
Tech89
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1991 F250 7.3L IDI Project

Hey everyone,

Alright so a few weeks ago I aquired a 1991 F250, 4 wheel drive, ext. cab, with a 7.3L IDI/auto. The truck runs great and goes pretty good she's just a little bit rusty. After all the truck has spent most of her life in Northern Minnesota. Anyways, this spring I would really like to find a decent cab and and box for this truck and do a body swap. I got good doors, hood and part of a good front clip excluding the fenders. I got a few questions and concerns before I continue with this plan though. I know for sure I'll have to swap dashes in the trucks which doesn't bother me.

First of all can I use any ext. cab from 88' to 96'? Will the body mounts on a 92' to 96' be different than my 91'?
Secondly, since this truck is a diesel is the firewall going to be any different than the firewall on a gasser? I just don't want to go and set a different cab from a gasser on there and find out the engine is hitting on the new cabs firewall.
Then I got a question about the transmission tunnel difference on a 2 wheel drive versus a 4 wheel drive. Is the tunnel on a 2 wheel drive smaller? I can't remember and it's been a long time since I've seen a 2 wheel drive Ford truck and I can't remember. Kinda need a spot for that transfer case shifter to go ha.

Thanks alot for everyone's time. Suggestions and comments are more than welcomed.

-Pat

Old 12-30-2010, 07:30 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Tech89
Hey everyone,

Alright so a few weeks ago I aquired a 1991 F250, 4 wheel drive, ext. cab, with a 7.3L IDI/auto. The truck runs great and goes pretty good she's just a little bit rusty. After all the truck has spent most of her life in Northern Minnesota. Anyways, this spring I would really like to find a decent cab and and box for this truck and do a body swap. I got good doors, hood and part of a good front clip excluding the fenders. I got a few questions and concerns before I continue with this plan though. I know for sure I'll have to swap dashes in the trucks which doesn't bother me.

First of all can I use any ext. cab from 88' to 96'? Will the body mounts on a 92' to 96' be different than my 91'?
Secondly, since this truck is a diesel is the firewall going to be any different than the firewall on a gasser? I just don't want to go and set a different cab from a gasser on there and find out the engine is hitting on the new cabs firewall.
Then I got a question about the transmission tunnel difference on a 2 wheel drive versus a 4 wheel drive. Is the tunnel on a 2 wheel drive smaller? I can't remember and it's been a long time since I've seen a 2 wheel drive Ford truck and I can't remember. Kinda need a spot for that transfer case shifter to go ha.

Thanks alot for everyone's time. Suggestions and comments are more than welcomed.

-Pat
The cab shell from 80-96 is basically the same. There are some minor differences like the lower rear front fender mounts and some wiring harness holes in the firewall, etc..The dash, pedals and cowl cover are different. The 2wd & 4wd cabs are the same. Just the inspection cover in the floor is different ( hole for transfer case shifter ) . It just is held in place with some sheet metal bolts/screws.

The diesel and gasser cabs should be the same just different wiring harness/dash cluster.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Tech89
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman75
The basic cab shell from 80-96 is the same. The dash, pedals and cowl cover are different. The 2wd & 4wd cabs are the same. Just the inspection cover in the floor is different ( hole for transfer case shifter ) . It just is held in place with some sheet metal bolts/screws.

The diesel and gasser cabs should be the same just different wiring harness/dash cluster.

Thank you. Sounds like I might have some of my work cut out for me. This may not be quite as hard as I thought it was going to be then.

-Pat