6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ford Cetane booster

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford Cetane booster

I have been using the Motorcraft Cetane booster since my truck was new. I bought 2 cases from the dealer when I picked up my truck, and am almost to the the end of the second case. I have been getting flawless performance and 16.5mpg since the 400hp reflash. I am wondering if it is worthwhile to continue using the fuel additive or to just run it on plain diesel. I don't think that they use a winter mix here in Fla.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:00 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Depends if you have a problem with low cetane in your area.

THere is a diminishing marginal return point with cetane boost.

I tend to say, use it if there is a problem... and in winter conditions where cetane really matter.

But I am known to be cheap.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:30 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
If you're talking about PM-22, it is more than just a cetane booster. It is an anti-jel, lubricant and aids in water separation. Which are all good things. If you're not talking about PM-22, that's what I'd be using.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:19 PM
I-BEAM
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had Ford diesels since 1986 and in every one of them when I add fuel I add stanadyne,,. I'm sure someone on this forum will prove me wrong but I think it has increased the lubricity and the cetane level in the diesel fuel that I buy.. Also I have not had any major repairs on any of my Ford diesels and that includes the 6.0 which I might add was an excellent engine for me!!!!

I now own a 2011 6.7 diesel and add stanadyne at every fill-up!!!!!!

Old 12-27-2010, 05:39 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I use the Motorcraft stuff now and then. I buy a case and grab a bottle every couple weeks. Have I noticed or measured a difference in MPG or performance? No, have not seen any real benefit. It's purely a leap of faith.

I don't use it all the time, I generally buy more than 300 gallons of diesel every month so it never sits in my tank and I would go through tons of the stuff if I were consistent with it. Every time I fill up I view it as a very temporary situation with the fuel I just bought.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I would recommend some kind of cetane and lubricity additive for a couple reasons.

First of all, back in the days of Navistar supplying the diesel engines for the Ford Super Duty they used to require a Cetane rating of 45 or better. This is very rarely found at the pump, and cetane boosters help the engine to run better as well as burn cleaner with less soot. My '08 consistently went through a regen cycle less than almost everyone else I spoke with on FTE; I attribute this to the cetane booster I ran in every tank.

The new engine doesn't specify a minimum cetane rating, but considering the higher performance and increased emissions controls I bet it runs best on higher cetane fuel. On my '08 the cetane booster was good for 0.5-1.0 MPG increase depending on circumstances.

The next reason is lubricity. The refining process used to make ULSD causes a problem where the lubricity of the fuel is reduced during production. Lubricity is a measure of how well the fuel lubricates components within the fuel system. Expensive things, such as the high pressure fuel pump and injectors require fuel lubricity to operate properly and not incur damage. Think of your fuel like you do your engine oil, as it performs the same function in your fuel system as your engine oil does in your engine.

Federal standards require that all ULSD be treated to increase it's lubricity to the industry standard required for fuel system life. Unfortunately if you do some searching, you'll find that many folks have found a wide variance between lubricity found at different stations. That's to say that while it should be treated, it's not always the case.

For me my cetane booster is like an insurance package for my fuel system. It prevents it from getting dirty as well as ensures that the lubricity is up to par. It also gets me better MPGs and less regens.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:46 PM
mikega
New User
I have used Motorcraft Cetane Booster and Performance Improver since I bought the truck in October and just took a round trip yesterday from Austin to Kerrville Tx and got 19.7 mpg. Around town I get about 15-16. I'll always use it. Just some added protection for the engine and a little better mileage.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Xyzzy
Senior User
How do you measure the "dose" and add it to the tank?

The bottle I saw at the dealer looked like you'd just invert it in the tank spout and hope to get close.

My son has mouth wash that you squeeze the bottle and 1oz goes up to the top of the bottle in a little chamber, and then that can be poured out. That seems simple to me.

Or maybe there should be a "Yamalube" injector, like my old Yamaha 2-stroke motorcycle. Mixing oil and gas wasn't hard but the auto-injector was nice.

Am I overthinking this?

Old 12-28-2010, 06:54 AM
Adobe 11SD
Senior User
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
How do you measure the "dose" and add it to the tank?

The bottle I saw at the dealer looked like you'd just invert it in the tank spout and hope to get close.

My son has mouth wash that you squeeze the bottle and 1oz goes up to the top of the bottle in a little chamber, and then that can be poured out. That seems simple to me.

Or maybe there should be a "Yamalube" injector, like my old Yamaha 2-stroke motorcycle. Mixing oil and gas wasn't hard but the auto-injector was nice.

Am I overthinking this?

Some folks use a 32oz Stabil fuel stabilizer bottle - works just like your son's mouthwash bottle.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Paratrooper84
Freshman User
I use stanadyne at every fill-up. I'm more worried about making sure everything is properly lubed, then the mileage gain. Like Crazy001 said... Its an insurance policy!

As far as measuring... The Stanadyne bottles have 4oz marks on the bottle. I dont need all 4oz's for the 26 gallon tank but for the ease, I put 4oz's in the tank everytime.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Xyzzy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Adobe 11SD
Some folks use a 32oz Stabil fuel stabilizer bottle - works just like your son's mouthwash bottle.
I bought a bottle of the Motorcraft cetane booster today and was able to get 4oz in the tank pretty easily. I didn't open the foil opening much. However, I did spill some on the side of the truck. I'll look into this bottle you are talking about. The Motorcraft bottle fits perfectly in the driver door cubby (you could fit 4 or 5 bottles) but if it is covered in fluid it will probably stink up the whole cabin.

Thanks!

Old 12-29-2010, 09:11 AM
sparky1166
Freshman User
I use Motorcraft cetane booster also, some times I get the urge to add more than It said to use. Will it hurt to use extra booster in it?

Old 12-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Adobe 11SD
Senior User
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I bought a bottle of the Motorcraft cetane booster today and was able to get 4oz in the tank pretty easily. I didn't open the foil opening much. However, I did spill some on the side of the truck. I'll look into this bottle you are talking about. The Motorcraft bottle fits perfectly in the driver door cubby (you could fit 4 or 5 bottles) but if it is covered in fluid it will probably stink up the whole cabin.

Thanks!
I use Power Service (Silver) out of the 80oz bottle and it makes a complete mess trying to pour it into the tank, especially when it is a new bottle.

Although the PS bottle fits behind the back seat wrapped in a towel, the Stabil bottle is less messy and takes up less room.

Like the poster above I also err on the side of using more than what is required, I am sure that is does not hurt anything.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:11 AM
Chep
Mountain Pass
I buy the motorcraft cetane booster by the gallon and transfer to a couple of the smaller bottles that I keep in the truck. It costs about half the money compared to buying the little 4 oz bottles.