6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Who is running a backup camera on their Edge CTS? - UPDATED with install pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:57 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who is running a backup camera on their Edge CTS? - UPDATED with install pics

Anyone out there hooked up a backup camera to their Edge CTS? I've got an insight and want to hook a camera up, but definitely don't want to pay for the one that Edge sells. The problem is that I can't find another brand that doesn't come with a screen. All I need is a camera that uses a standard RCA video cable. I can get a wireless setup for $79 at the auto parts store, but I don't want a separate screen... I'd like to use the Edge.

If anyone has this set up, let me know what kind of camera you used.

Thanks!

- Steve

Old 12-22-2010, 01:55 AM
_Me2_
Elder User
This should work: Flush Mount Camera

They have others with night vision, but they may need a little modification to wire them for power without using one of the complete systems. I have one of their systems with a big rearview mirror screen and 2 cameras (truck and trailer) with night vision. Excellent system. Give them a call. They are very helpful.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:56 AM
_Me2_
Elder User
By the way, the wireless systems are garbage, especially with a long truck.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:01 AM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Sweet, thanks for the link. How/where do you have your camera mounted?

Old 12-22-2010, 11:42 AM
_Me2_
Elder User
I'm using their license plate mount.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:48 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Bringing up this old thread in case anyone else is wanting to install a backup camera with their Edge CTS.

I ended up getting a Boyo camera from Amazon -

No night vision, but a pretty decent camera from what I can tell. It comes with power and ground leads, and 25' of RCA. I tapped into the hot wire in the trailer wiring bundle to power the camera so that I could use it anytime the vehicle is on (not just when it is in reverse). The CTS can sense the signal, and gives you the option to view camera at any time. It comes up on the screen automatically when the vehicle is put into reverse, and goes away in any other gear. It's convenient to just turn the camera on when hooking up a trailer or doing any backing up where you might switch gears (forward and backward) multiple times.

Anyhow, on to the mounting. This particular camera is part of a license plate mount, but I didn't like the way it looked when installed there. It just looked too obvious and 'tacked on,' so I installed it on top of the bumper. It blends in nicely with the bumper, and when it's shady out, you barely recognize it.

Close up -

Here is what the picture looks like on the screen -

In this shot, I have a bar in the receiver to give some perspective -

I haven't actually been able to use it yet when hooking up to a trailer, but I imagine that it will help out quite a bit when hitching up to the travel trailer by myself.

Next on my list is to install some lights on the back somewhere that will really make things easier to see behind the truck when it's dark. I'm going to wire them into the upfitter switches so that they can be used anytime I desire. I'll post up some pictures of that setup when I get around to it.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:32 PM
401-k
New User
Good to see this post, I've been meaning to ask on this very topic.

Early disclaimer here - I'm not very mechnically inclined.

Do you have some pics or can you explain where and how you ran the cable (keep in mind my above disclaimer). And, maybe a pic or two or additional explanation on the electical connections.

I plan to have someone mechanically/electrically inclinded help, but I want to see and understand how others have done this install.

Thanks

Old 02-07-2011, 11:08 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
No pics, but it's fairly easy to do. I just ran the cable along the frame rail up to the front of the truck. I ran the RCA through the firewall in the same place that my EGT probe goes through... if you look from the inside, you will see a couple of places that you can pull out the padding behind the brake peddle. Behind this is a soft material that you can poke a hole in and run wires through (I think it is model year dependent... some trucks have different holes, but all should have some place to run wires through the firewall).

As far as positive and negative, there are a couple of ways to do it. Tapping into the trailer wiring harness is the easiest. Just trace the wires back and open up the look to find the wires (drop the spare tire to make it easier). I can't remember which color is which, but you can look at the back of the 7-way plug to determine which color is the right one. Then just pick a ground point and you're good to go. I would make sure and wire in an inline fuse just to be safe (no mention of this in the instructions).

Old 03-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
did u remove your tailgate to drill the holes?
I didn't when I stole your Idea and it was a tad tricky lol

Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 AM
TexasA&M
Elder User
I did... should have mentioned that. It was much easier to drill with tailgate removed!

Old 03-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
that beast is heavy so I left it on ... and I have 1/8 diamond plate on mine because I use it as a work surface and the dang factory stamped steel would allways spill my beer

lol

Old 10-10-2011, 10:43 PM
jayhawk714
Cross-Country

Lock Pick Bar-Cam 221 Backup camera

Anybody know anything about the Lock Pick Bar-Cam 221 backup camera? Good? Bad? Or anything in between.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
I have a different brand but here are some reviews for the one you asked about
Lock Pick Bar-Cam 221 Rear View Backup Camera - BARCAM221

Old 10-11-2011, 10:35 AM
jayhawk714
Cross-Country

Thanks! Looks like it is a good unit.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
it looks like it may have distance identifiers? mine doesn't but I think it would be handy

the only thing is some of these are so bulky that if you mount it as intended it will cover the state on most plates and In AZ they fine for that
so mine is up on top of the bumper between the tail gate

Quick Reply: Who is running a backup camera on their Edge CTS? - UPDATED with install pics