1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

1996 F250 7.3 fuel pump removal trouble

Old 12-20-2010, 02:18 PM
armymanfo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 F250 7.3 fuel pump removal trouble

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on the removal of the fuel pump. I have it all disconnected according to Autozone website and the famous "Sams" thread on fuel pump replacement. I cannot get the fuel pump lifted out of the crankcase. I can wiggle it but not twist it. Any ideas?

Old 12-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Humm, I'm trying to think if there were any tricks when I did mine... As long as you disconnected the banjo bolt, and the two hold down bolts, there shouldn't be anything else holding it. IIRC, Mine was a PITA to get out of there also, took some patience and alot of beer.

You also might want to consider just getting it loose, then crank the engine over with a ratchet untill you see the pump lift up just a bit (cam will be pushing up on the tappet on the bottom of the pump) so if the tappet does fall, it won't disappear...

Robb

Old 12-20-2010, 03:02 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Robbgt
Humm, I'm trying to think if there were any tricks when I did mine... As long as you disconnected the banjo bolt, and the two hold down bolts, there shouldn't be anything else holding it. IIRC, Mine was a PITA to get out of there also, took some patience and alot of beer.

You also might want to consider just getting it loose, then crank the engine over with a ratchet untill you see the pump lift up just a bit (cam will be pushing up on the tappet on the bottom of the pump) so if the tappet does fall, it won't disappear...

Robb
Also dont forget the blue fuel line in the front, and be very carefully because the pump could be broken

Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2010, 03:04 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Talking

BTW, welcome to the best forum ever

Old 12-20-2010, 05:32 PM
armymanfo
New User
Thanks I just got it out. I noticed the tappet broke off. Can I get a new tappet becasue the pump works and looks new I just had a leak around it and was told to replace the seal around the bottom of the pump. As for the tappet, I havent got it out yet but IF it dropped way down in there does this mean bad things??? thanks for the photo.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
DOH! You Don't want to hear what I am about say but....What I would do at this point is drain the oil and drag a heavy magnet around the bottom of the pan. HOPEFULLY you will find the tappet. Then drag that ba$dart offf to the side and leave the magnet in place....forever. If you can not find it I would SLOWLY turn the engine BY HAND back and forth (don't force nothen) back and forth till it drops and proceed with the original plan.
goodluck and let us know

Old 12-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 12-20-2010, 06:30 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Exclamation

Originally Posted by armymanfo
Thanks I just got it out. I noticed the tappet broke off. Can I get a new tappet becasue the pump works and looks new I just had a leak around it and was told to replace the seal around the bottom of the pump. As for the tappet, I havent got it out yet but IF it dropped way down in there does this mean bad things??? thanks for the photo.
You are welcome, but that are not good news (that you havent got it out) Can you see the tapet in the hole where the pump goes?.

Originally Posted by Copedawg
DOH! You Don't want to hear what I am about say but....What I would do at this point is drain the oil and drag a heavy magnet around the bottom of the pan. HOPEFULLY you will find the tappet. Then drag that ba$dart offf to the side and leave the magnet in place....forever. If you can not find it I would SLOWLY turn the engine BY HAND back and forth (don't force nothen) back and forth till it drops and proceed with the original plan.
goodluck and let us know

X2 OOOPS!!

Old 12-20-2010, 08:21 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
this time last year i posted a thread saying how i droped my lifter into the pan aswell. i let it be for a night then went back to work the next day. i rotaed the engine untill the lifter fell in to the pan, it can only fall onto the crank . one tooth at a time on the flywheel will help. i have a big magnet and asmall one next too it to keep it in place but to be honest. its not going to move at all, the sump is very deep and it couldnt possibly be picked up by movement.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:29 PM
armymanfo
New User
I just got the new pump...and as for the tappet WELL its still in teh crank case hole...still not sure on how to get it out now. It seems like it craked from the old pump and stayed in there. AS for the fuel pump lifter...I just hope it hasent fallen into the crankcase.

Thanks for the welcomes and the ideas!

Old 12-27-2010, 05:49 PM
mq1shooter
Elder User
I have not had the opportunity to replace my fuel pump (yet) But would a super strong *** magnet be able to attach to the broken tappet and pull it up from it's resting place?

Old 12-27-2010, 07:21 PM
RRranch
Posting Guru
You would think that turning the engine over by hand would push it up enough to get some vise grips on it. I'd be real tempted to crank it myself and just send it flying as long as the plunger hasn't fallen in.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:53 AM
armymanfo
New User
To turn the crank case is that a 2in wrench to turn it? I am gonna try to get it to pop up that way. I really hope that works?

Old 12-28-2010, 01:47 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
I think the bolt on the dampner is a metric but a 15/16 socket fits. That's what I use to turn it over, that and a breaker bar.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:59 PM
tekguy4
Junior User
gotta luv this site I am in process of pulling fuel pump and it really doesnt want to pull out either..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 F250 7.3 fuel pump removal trouble