2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

2010 expedition bad tires update

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:56 AM
backdr10
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 expedition bad tires update

I guess i am posting this to vent my frustrations so that I do not drive this vehicle through the window of the selling dealer. I am also posting so as to ask if anyone else has had a similar situation. I have posted previously about the ongoing tire issues with 20 inch Pirellis on my brand new Expy limited. The bouncing is terrible in the cold to the point where i thought I had a flat and pulled off of the road to check. the owner of the selling dealer says buy new tires. So I tried to make an appointment at a fourth dealer and they will not schedule an appointment due the repair history. The service manager stated " even if the tire showed bad and we sent them back to Ford we ill not be reimbursed. The owner of the selling dealer didi replace on bad tire on my truck and says that he had to eat it because Ford would not pay him. I asked why not because the tire showed bad on the road force balancer and he said that is how Ford works and he will not pay for any other tires bad or not. On the advice of the service manager I took the truck to an independent shop at my cost and the owner of the shop stated the tires were again out of balance and showed me on the machine. He then showed me the oval shape of the tires and how they bounced up and down on the balancer. I called Ford back and Bill Kay were I bought the truck in Midlothian, Il and again I was told to buy new tires. So the papers are going out to the attorney today. I probably will have to buy tires for this brand new vehicle while Lemon law proceeds slowly. I have 4 kids that I drive in this truck and in the snow and ice it is bad. Does Ford remember the Firestone issue when they ignored those customers. This is a nightmare and I am sorry for complaining , but has anyon else had this problem. and what tires would you recomend if replaced,

Old 12-10-2010, 09:59 AM
backdr10
Freshman User
Just an update Ford just called back and stated that they would change out tires to goodyear all terrain 20 inch tires at 850 dollars , but I would have to pay 400 of the cost. Does anyone know if those tire are Ok and would you guys say Ok to this. I feel like I am be bent over by Ford.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:20 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Read your warranty manual. It has a 12,000 mile warranty on tires if I am correct. This means you pay nothing for bad tires. Again, you are spinning your wheels if you don't file the lemon paper work. Get all your money back. I would not spend 1 cent. They are making you pay for the tires, their cost. They are not chipping in a cent.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:37 AM
backdr10
Freshman User
just wanted to hear from someone else. they make you desperate for some type of resolution. I really could choke someone.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:55 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by backdr10
just wanted to hear from someone else. they make you desperate for some type of resolution. I really could choke someone.
I know they do. Trust me, been through it. Had all the calls from the service manage-there is nothing wrong-I can't do anything-Ford says they won't pay. Once I filed, they started helping a small tad, two days before the hearing, they settled and bought my lemon back.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:41 PM
backdr10
Freshman User
thanks for your thoughts

Old 12-13-2010, 08:48 AM
Kipg
Freshman User
I say shame on Ford and shame on the owner of the dealership for not stepping to the plate and doing what is needed.
I went through a lemon law back in 03 on a air condition issue with a Expedition and after several failed attempts to fix and doing everything Ford wanted them to try I was called into service managers office and listened to him call Ford and tell Ford they needed to do whatever they had to to get us a new Expedition because without a doubt had a lemon.
I say write in shoe polish all over your Expedition windows for people to ask about your purchase at Bill Kay Ford......you might be surprised how quickly your tires get replaced free of charge.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:36 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Two separate warranties apply to tires on your new vehicle. The New
Vehicle Limited Warranty covers tire defects in factory supplied material
or workmanship for 100% of labor costs and on a pro rata adjustment
basis for parts. (See the reimbursement schedule below).

For vehicles within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty time in service
and mileage coverage period, defective tires will be replaced on a pro
rata adjustment basis according to the following mileage-based
Reimbursement Schedule:
MILES DRIVEN PERCENT OF PARTS COVERED BY FORD
1-12,000 100%
12,001-24,000 60%
24,001-36,000 30%

Hard to argue the Ford Warranty Manual. From page 9.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:09 AM
backdr10
Freshman User
Thank you for the reply. Papers went to the lawyer on friday. I have spoken to Owner of the dealer who will not even rebalance the tires now because he will not get paid. Ford will pay for 2 new tires as a courtesy because the service manager says there is nothing wrong with the tires they just do not belong on that kind of truck. When I asked Ford if they think being balanced every other week might be an indication of a problem - they said that is our offer take it or leave it. So now the selling dealer doesnt even want to rebalance the tires. I can not even say what I would like to do to the people involved.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:26 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Good luck. I believe you will be victorious.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:34 PM
gpfarrell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by berry1234
Good luck. I believe you will be victorious.
Ditto.

They don't need to get paid. You already bought a paid for a vehicle and got a bill of goods. My Navi can sit for several weeks and then cruise at 75+ mph in smoothly in the time it takes to get from hear to the turnpike... 4 miles away.

Your vehicle should do the same. The dealership is hoping you don't know this.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:00 PM
backdr10
Freshman User
Lawyer has yet to contact me. So far it looks like I am not going to have a choice but to pay for two tires and ford will pay for 2 Good year Wrangler sra tires. I f I could strangle someone at ford right now without consequences- i WOULD. The tires are causing so much bouncing in the cold snowy weather, that I can not take a chance with my family in this stupid truck. Ford could care less. Whatever I have just had it. Trying to run business and fighting with ford dont mix. Ford managers at customer care say that they can care less about the independent tire shop eval of the defective tires. I told them that i bet the lawyers will care and i get no response. How sickening is this company.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:37 AM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Guys, read the guidelines. We don't allow legal matters to be discussed here.

That being said, you shouldn't have any troble getting new tires; prorated perhaps, so long as things are within the guidelines discussed in your owner's manual AND in the tire warranty that accompanies it.

If you have questions regarding the letter of the law and by this I mean a question regarding what the dealer can or can not do, will or will not do, call my dealer: Mike Raisor Ford in Lafayette Indiana (765) 447-9444. Ask to speak to Phil Coverdale and tell him that Herman told you to call him with your QUESTIONS.

Having said that, in reading here, something tells me that perhaps the tires and/or wheels you have might not be factory issue. If this is the case then Ford is not on the hook for anything. So I have some questions:

Did you buy the vehicle new?
Are the wheels and tires factory issue?

If you answer yes to both questions, you should prevail. Even if your dealer(s) does not want to address your issue you should have a tire warranty guide that comes with the vehicle and you can pursue warranty repair with an independent shop that sells the brand on your truck.

I hope this helps.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:13 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Did you contact Pirelli or a Pirelli dealer about this? That's the one thing about tires, the tire manufacturer has a responsibility for the tires. Confusing, I know, and it sounds like your dealer is not helping you through this.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:47 AM
backdr10
Freshman User
I have not contacted pirelli yet and was considering this as a next step.

Quick Reply: 2010 expedition bad tires update