1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Truck Jerking/Studdering Around 45-50 mph

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 04:54 AM
hookedondiesel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also stumbled across this thread while doing a search.
I'm usually in the other "diesel" forums, but I'm now in the process of purchasing a 2002 F250 SD, Extended Cab, SB, with the 5.4 to add to my collection.
Will be posting pics of her when I get er, in another thread.

Anyway's, I was hesitant on this purchase because of this "exact" issue.
But the deal and truck are so sweet, I was going to take the gamble,
Bluegrass7, thanks for the informative write-up, reps given.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:39 AM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I was talking to my buddy and realized none of this started until i had the shorty headers installed (to solve the leaking manifold issue)....could this be an EGR issue?
(sorry Bluegrass7, yes I've read everything you've posted and appreciate your insight!)

Old 12-15-2012, 12:39 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Is there an EGR tube connection from the header?
If not the EGR system won't work and will cause a code.
Good luck.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:11 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Yes there is. Just started her up and she runs just fine....even after a few days of sitting. This is how it has been. Sometimes she does it and sometimes she doesn't. Not much rhyme or reason other than i can USUALLY correlate it to damp weather.
So i'm starting to hunt for cracked boots or cops first.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Mcgiveral
New User
Same issue

Sorry, meant to quote a post. Deleted this one.

Last edited by Mcgiveral; 12-15-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Deleted, meant to quote a post
Old 12-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Mcgiveral
New User
Originally Posted by Shane Cummings
Hello all. Here's a little information about my truck. It's a 2000 F-150. Two wheel drive. 5.2 Liter V8. About 133,000 miles on it currently.

Here is the problem I have been having with it recently. Right around 45-50 mph, my truck starts to jerk or studder as I attempt to accelerate gently. It has not been too bad, but it has been prevalent for the past few months. Yesterday, after an 8 hour drive on highways, when I got back onto a regular road, the truck would jerk/studder around 45 mph and it was so bad that I could not drive past 45 mph.

It does not always happen when I drive, but now it is occurring more frequently. I want to bring it into the shop, but want to hear what you guys have to say about this problem first. Thanks!
I had the same problem with my 2004. It would shudder and sometimes bang when giving a slight increase of throttle when it was in overdrive and it would do the same thing when the cruise control was engaged and it was increasing the throttle slightly for an increase in grade.

I too thought it was a transmission issue because it wouldn't do it when the overdrive was disengaged. After an exhaustive search for the problem over many days I finally decided to remove the aftermarket spark plugs and put in the plugs from Ford (expensive) and TADA the problem was solved.

One or more of the plugs wasn't putting out the spark that was needed at the point of upshift and caused the engine to bang etc. Even the dealership hadn't heard of this but several months later I found out someone else came in with the same issue and the tech I informed of this issue replaced the plugs he was the shop hero lol. Oh and I found out that the truck he worked on also had aftermarket plugs in it so I guess it pays to stick with OEM!

Old 01-19-2013, 07:56 AM
bklein711
New User
which COP part number off RockAuto is the right one?

MOTORCRAFT Part # DG511 {#3L3Z12029BA} or

MOTORCRAFT Part # DG508 {#3W7Z12029AA}

I have 2007 Explorer 4.6L, and neither of those part numbers match what is printed on the top of the factory COP's. Thanks.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:42 PM
rmccbride
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
Note the large number of hits on this subject.
It's a wide spread issue.
Here is what the cause is.
When you get in an OD light throttle drive condition, the EGR opens.
At this point the air/fuel ratio goes very lean "by design intent".
This condition requires the coils to offer higher voltage they "are" designed to give.
If a coil developes shorted turns in it's winding the voltage available drops to a marginal or below level.
This causes a missfire on that cylinder as long as this driving condition exists.
As soon as you downshift, increase engine RPM or make any throttle up or down change that takes the EGR out of operation the missfire goes away.
It goes because the air/fuel ratio has richened to the point the faulty coil now has enough voltage to fire the cylinder reliabily such as going from OD to third gear.
Most often this coil condition does not set a DTC code because it comes and goes and in not a 'hard' fault. Once the fault conditon in not present, the record of missfires to set a code is cancelled so no code or CEL is set for you to see.
Finding the cylinder at fault.
Four ways;
1. To sub a known good coil in each position until you clear the missfire.
2. Replace all coils but you always have the possibility of a faulty coil in the replacement group.
3. Use a Scanner with a Trap function to freeze frame the live data while drivieng.
4. Have a dealer do a Stress test on all the coils to pick out any that are below limits.
Plug replacement:
Sometimes new plugs seem to clear the issue only to return several hundred miles later.
Why;
The new plugs are easier to fire by a 'marginal' coil until their tips begin to errode then the required voltage begins to rise and missfire lightly begins all over again. Yes errosion begins that quick with new plugs.
Bottom line is this kind of issue is quite dynamic and complicated involving several parameters that 'stack up' to cause the end result of studder and missfire.
It can get so bad the faulty coil can send interference back to the computer causing it to stop processing any engine data until it recovers.
This feels like the ignition was tuned off and on at a fast rate, a 'bucking' feeling.
And no, its not the transmission doing any of this.
Good luck.
Thank you,, after five years of putting up with this on my 2002 4.6 waiting for a hard code to show which COP was causing this misfire and having many times where it would get really bad and throw a code at last, only to replace the one showing as bad and fixing the really bad misfire only to have the 40-45 one still be there. After reading this I went out and checked my scanner for freeze trouble codes ( not hard codes) which before I didn't know it would show.. And there it was 0305. Replaced the COP and problem solved at last.. Thanks again!!!

One thing I think might be also be making this shaking / cutting out so bad, is when the bad COP is misfiring the computer might be thinking from the unburned fuel in the exhaust that it is running to rich and leaning out the mixture even more.. Makeing even more cylinders misfire..

Old 02-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
A problem like this can have far reaching effects at any given time depending specifically on how the coil acts.
It could indeed affect the A/F ratio on that bank.
Very often it can result in a violent jerking as if the ignition were turned off then on very fast such that all cylinders stopped firing for an instant.
What that is is the PCM actually stops processing the whole show for an instant until it recovers control of the action. As the crank is still in rotation the crank sensor is telling the PCM there is still rotation and to process the action as that of a running engine.
Sometimes there is more than one issue at the same time, fooling one who is thinking in a singular fashion.
Sometimes you have to out think the computer when it sneaks these thing in and by you.
Good luck.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:56 PM
rmccbride
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
A problem like this can have far reaching effects at any given time depending specifically on how the coil acts.
It could indeed affect the A/F ratio on that bank.
Very often it can result in a violent jerking as if the ignition were turned off then on very fast such that all cylinders stopped firing for an instant.
What that is is the PCM actually stops processing the whole show for an instant until it recovers control of the action. As the crank is still in rotation the crank sensor is telling the PCM there is still rotation and to process the action as that of a running engine.
Sometimes there is more than one issue at the same time, fooling one who is thinking in a singular fashion.
Sometimes you have to out think the computer when it sneaks these thing in and by you.
Good luck.
The jerking and bucking I was getting used too, as I had the misfiring over the years,, might even miss it now, It was when the engine shut off on the Xway at 75 MPH and I coasted to the shoulder with no power that was the thing that worried me.. Oh yea and the other day when I had my wife with me and the left bank shut down and we drove the last 10 miles in limp home mode in the snow. This was because #7 COP decided to join the party.. And she told me I have to go buy a new truck before I can go back up to the cottage...

Old 02-17-2013, 07:58 PM
ravens fan
Senior User
we are looking to replace a COP on my dad's 1998 4.6 it has these symptoms,,,,,

after reading through all the posts i think one person touched one where exactly the COP's are located but im still not sure where they are at???
any help would be appreciated or if anyone has a photo

Old 02-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Suprise!
You won't find any COP on a 4.6 on your year.
Your's has two coil paks.
Open hood and see spark plug wires from the coil paks to the plug well boots.
Good luck.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:48 AM
ravens fan
Senior User
well that makes sense then!.... so does this mean that a coil pack is bad since it will do the same as everyone is stating ? thanks bluegrass

Old 02-18-2013, 08:37 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by ravens fan
well that makes sense then!.... so does this mean that a coil pack is bad
Maybe coil pack.
Maybe sparkplug.
Maybe sparkplug wire.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by rmccbride
One thing I think might be also be making this shaking / cutting out so bad, is when the bad COP is misfiring the computer might be thinking from the unburned fuel in the exhaust that it is running to rich and leaning out the mixture even more.. Makeing even more cylinders misfire..
Whoaaaa! I gotta point out that the computer gets its fuel info from the OXYGEN sensor (not a fuel sensor ), so as you pointed out, the misfire effects the situation, but it doesn't see the unburned fuel, it sees the UNUSED oxygen, so it ADDS fuel, possibly making more cylinders misfire, etc, etc.

Quick Reply: Truck Jerking/Studdering Around 45-50 mph