6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

ordering a Ford truck sequence

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 07:17 PM
butch50
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ordering a Ford truck sequence

I ordered my truck on 11-15-10 and I was just wondering from you knowledgeable people what the whole sequence and what time frame would a person look at for these to happen.

After ordering does the dealer get the DORA and how long does that normal take?

Then after that is when the build sheet is generated?

Normally how long?

Then after that the VIN number and sticker is posted?

Do I have this right and again could someone please tell me about how long (normal) each step takes?

When I was ordering mine they were telling me 2 to 3 months but when
I was walking out the door I thought I heard the sales manager say but didn't ask the wife till later if I heard what he said. He said "It could take up to 5 months to get it"" Does this sound resonable?

If it is going to take 5 months to get it I think they were out of allocations and was just BS me when he told me they had one left. and they probably don't get their next one till Feb. or Mar. 2011.

Does any of this reasoning make any sense on my part.

Heck I special ordered my 2006 F550 the end of Oct 2005 and it had to go to Manning Truck to install the pickup bed on it and then put back into Ford shipping from KY. I got that truck in 5 months, It was a loaded F550 and Manning had to paint the box to match my truck as normally all they have is white boxes. This is even after Manning kind of misplaced my truck when they picked it up at the factory for almost a month. So if Manning hadn;t misplaced it I would had it in 4 months. This is with the Ford Xmas shutdown also.

Thanks,

Butch

Old 12-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Mike in PA
Senior User
Hey butch,
When I ordered, the owner of the dealership said that dealers were now using a new system to order vehicles, not the old allocation
system. My order took 5 weeks and a few days, pdq by my thoughts.
The first thing I heard from the dealer after the order went in was it will be here Monday or Tuesday. That was back in October.
2 or 3 months sounds strange especially after reading the "Whose going to order" thread here in the 6.2 section.
I would be questioning the dealership and I'm sure you will get lots of help here too.
Best of luck...

Mike in PA

Old 12-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It depends on what you ordered... a base model is easier to build than a fully loaded king ranch. Also, the wait is longer for an F150 right now than a Superduty, although they aren't exactly easy to get either. If you ordered an F150 I would expect up to 4 months, a Superduty should be under 3 months. Allocations don't matter when you have an order.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:09 PM
butch50
Freshman User
I ordered a F350 King Ranch 4X4 CC 172"wb 6.2 with a lot of more options.

Thanks for the responses I think I'll be talking to the dealer monday as they are the ones that told me about their allocation.

Mike in PA I guess that is fast I wish I could get mine that fast.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:51 AM
butch50
Freshman User
One other thing, does anybody know why Ford decided to not put a flat floor in the back of the CC when you fold the seats up. In my F550 when I folded up the seats I could unfold a metal bed that made the floor flat from the back of the front seat to the rear. Even my 2006 Dodge has that. Now when you fold the seat up you have an open storage compartment and nothing to cover them with and nothing to make the floor flat. Makes it very hard to put thing in the back that you want to carry. When I'm RVing I put in a couple of plastic tubs to have things in the truck that I want in the cab with us. Now it looks like I'm going to have to make my own flat storage and then take it in and out as needed.

Anybody elses thoughts or suggestions?

Old 12-05-2010, 08:31 PM
sledhead56
Trailering
Order Sept. 3, waited for a job 2 option, still no vin. this week. Dealer phoned ford and was told late Jan. build and a mid feb delivery. Not happy! XLT cc 4x4 6.5 fairly loaded

Old 12-06-2010, 10:27 AM
mike8008
Junior User
Originally Posted by butch50
One other thing, does anybody know why Ford decided to not put a flat floor in the back of the CC when you fold the seats up. In my F550 when I folded up the seats I could unfold a metal bed that made the floor flat from the back of the front seat to the rear. Even my 2006 Dodge has that. Now when you fold the seat up you have an open storage compartment and nothing to cover them with and nothing to make the floor flat. Makes it very hard to put thing in the back that you want to carry. When I'm RVing I put in a couple of plastic tubs to have things in the truck that I want in the cab with us. Now it looks like I'm going to have to make my own flat storage and then take it in and out as needed.

Anybody elses thoughts or suggestions?
I agree with you . I can see the under seat storeage being useful, However having a flat floor for me is much more useful. It would be nice if the storeage was an option, or easily removed/ replaced for your purposes

Old 12-06-2010, 12:49 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If mine shows up per the latest ETA (12/27/2010), it'll be 11 weeks total from ordering to driving away with it. My dealer had no allocation issues and it took 5 weeks to get a VIN. They made a few calls to the local Ford rep, got it picked up (VIN assigned), and sent me the confirmation. They also were able to bump it up from a priority 10 to a priority 1. The higher priority doesn't seem to help with the build process, I think they may have done that to get the order picked up, I'm not really sure though. My window sticker showed up online last Wed, a week before my scheduled build week (12/6).

Once you order the truck, the dealer can print you out a copy of the DORA right away.

You already know about the holiday closure so that's 2 weeks lost...