General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

NFL

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 11:26 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rangerfan
Is 855K worth this?

NFL Former Players: HBO Sheds Light on Long-Lasting NFL Injuries

To me its not.

They deserve medical care for life. The owners and the NFL have the resources to do this.

The NFL knows it has a problem on its hands

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/29/sp.../29injury.html

And the players have a choice to do something different with their lives. Or make their own preperations for the future.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:45 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kw5413
And the players have a choice to do something different with their lives. Or make their own preperations for the future.
The smart players probably are providing for their future, but there is still an element of unknown risks to the players that may, if they were known, alter their decision to play the sport. But so be it...
Should we then allow asbestos to be manufactured again? How about abolishing all the osha rules... I mean, "they have a choice to do something different with their lives. Or make their own preparations for the future."

Or, perhaps we should make football a true gladiator sport, where the losing team gets killed, a la "The Running Man."

Old 12-06-2010, 12:04 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
A football player does not impact my life or well being....or yours...or the guy down the street. An Asbestos manufacturer does. Not quite an apples to apples comparison there. Same with OSHA keeping employees from forcing people to hurt themselves. OSHA is a compliance and penalty levying arm of United States Department of Labor. Not a private owned organization. Are you suggesting that professional sports safety should be governed by the US government?

Old 12-06-2010, 12:13 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kw5413
Are you suggesting that professional sports safety should be governed by the US government?
No, of course not. You know me much better than that.
I agree to a point that we all have to take our own safety into consideration when choosing a profession, but even so, does it justify the league ignoring the symtpoms of a serious problem? Also, I'm just suggesting that the NFL take a more responsible approach to future disabilities associated with the sport. The pay issues don't really concern me too much, as I don't think either party is hurting, financially. But when players are losing a good portion of their life as a result, which may or not be of their own choosing, of debilitating injuries, while the owners are raking in $billions, there needs to be some protection.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:25 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by stu37d
No, of course not. You know me much better than that.
Yes I do. Just yankin' your change on a Monday morning 'cause I know you for the type that generally would advocate people being responsible for their own actions.

You know, if these sports figures were assigned their careers at some early age and had no choice I would help you hoist the flag of entitlement here...but, I just can't stand with you on this one.

But, to the extent that they have every right to negotiate their contracts to whatever they wish? I have no issues with that. And if they wish to compromise their life...then how can I help them? Or have sympathy for a condition that they helped create?

Old 12-06-2010, 04:54 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by rangerfan
Really? How can you compare a shoulder, elbow, calf, hamstring injuries, and cuts and/or blisters (pitchers) to head, neck and spinal cord injuries?
Duane, I don't have to. These are choices that ALL athletes have made knowing full well the risks involved. They are lured by the money and fame with little or no consideration for their futures. In my mind, they earn enough money as a player to put some away for the future, what ever that may bring.

Do you follow baseball? Take the Boston Red Sox for instance. They were the most injured team in the league this year. Four of their starters sat out most of the season with a variety of injuries ranging from broken ribs to knees, to shoulders to hips to broken foot bones. Sounds pretty traumatic to me especially if ones future is contingent on the outcome.

I've already conceded that Football is rougher and offers greater risks but again, they are well compensated.

It seems to me as though there are plenty of more dangerous jobs for far less money that pro athletes earn. Fisherman, iron workers, tree fellers, etc. The athletes don't get my sympathy.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:25 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
I think I stirred the pot