6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Dieselsite coolant filter warning/fix (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 07:41 PM
woodlander
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zmann
depends on the heat range but the brass nor the molded fitting should not have an issue
why did he state that?
He owns a plumbing company and I think the supply house told him that. I think I will just use the plastic as that is what he had in these sizes.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:42 PM
woodlander
Senior User
I should have said he mentioned the brass had more failures but of course that is in a plumbing environment.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
OH! maybe the pex tube comming off the fitting ,, that may make sense

Old 12-03-2010, 10:52 PM
plomerostroker
Junior User
Originally Posted by woodlander
He owns a plumbing company and I think the supply house told him that. I think I will just use the plastic as that is what he had in these sizes.
I have never had a problem with brass fittings, there is nothing to go wrong with them. We started to use the plastic ones, because they are much cheaper, but have had alot crack. So we no longer use the plastic pex fittings.The extra cost of brass is far less then the cost of someones home,and property. Now this is in the plumbing end of pex, but I see no way there will ever be a problem with the brass in the 6.0 cooling system.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Jayybird
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
If you have to add, it's a problem. If it fluctuates with temp, that's normal.
Originally Posted by Zmann
the coolant leaves a white residue clean around the degas bottle and see if the residue appears
Fellas,
I checked my coolant level again this morning after truck sat all night. Yep, she was about 1" below the min line..appears i have a problem. Well, I started inspecting the connections at my coolant filter. I noticed some white residue around inlet/outlet at the filter. I posted some pics here, Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Jayybird's Album: Coolant Leak

I looked around the T fitting and can't really tell if any is leaking there, but it is real tight in there.

My truck is running great, Temps are good (maybe a little low), i don't do any crazy hot rodden or towing. When the truck is warm, i notice the coolant level rises in the degas bottle but not quite to the top so i don't think she is puking out the cap. I had ARPs and gaskets installed 20K miles ago, so i don't think its a gasket issue. I am hoping its just my coolant filter system. I plan on getting the brass t-fitting like what has been suggested on this thread, also, i will disconnect and clean up everything good and make sure its put back correctly on the filter.

What else can i trouble shoot for leaking coolant? Damn i don't want any problems, hopefully its just at this filter system and i can fix it.

Thanks

Old 12-04-2010, 08:58 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Jayybird
What else can i trouble shoot for leaking coolant? Damn i don't want any problems, hopefully its just at this filter system and i can fix it.
First thing to do is to watch it for a while. If it really is leaking it will get lower and lower, and then you'll know. Once you are sure it is leaking, then maybe turn off the valves to the coolant filter and see if it stops.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
I had my truck for over a year before it burped / not puked after a long hilly trip
I was down about 2 qts ?
I was freaking out but topped it off and it never did it again

Old 12-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Jayybird
Tuned
Can yall see the whit residue in the link in my previous post? Think thats coolant leaking out there?

Thanks again for the help

Old 12-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
sure enough ,, but not a lot

Old 12-04-2010, 11:27 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Can yall see the whit residue in the link in my previous post? Think thats coolant leaking out there?

Does not look like a significant leak to me. And those small seeps tend to seal themselves. If you are loosing significant coolant, I don't think it is from there.

I'm sure you know where it is likely going. So I won't speak the dirty language.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:47 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts

I saw a very tiny bit that looked more like teflon tape to me--LOL. If it's leaking coolant there you should be able to see it down around the radiator support, CAC hose, frame, etc.

Watch it when you start it in the morning for white smoke and smell the exhaust.

One other thing about coolant level in the bottle. Parking on a slight elevation change can make the level easily move 1/2" either way. I'd closely monitor and record how much coolant you were losing over time and be precise with every aspect of your "study".

Old 12-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Fellas,
I checked my coolant level again this morning after truck sat all night. Yep, she was about 1" below the min line..appears i have a problem. Well, I started inspecting the connections at my coolant filter. I noticed some white residue around inlet/outlet at the filter. I posted some pics here, Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Jayybird's Album: Coolant Leak

I looked around the T fitting and can't really tell if any is leaking there, but it is real tight in there.

My truck is running great, Temps are good (maybe a little low), i don't do any crazy hot rodden or towing. When the truck is warm, i notice the coolant level rises in the degas bottle but not quite to the top so i don't think she is puking out the cap. I had ARPs and gaskets installed 20K miles ago, so i don't think its a gasket issue. I am hoping its just my coolant filter system. I plan on getting the brass t-fitting like what has been suggested on this thread, also, i will disconnect and clean up everything good and make sure its put back correctly on the filter.

Thanks
From the photos (which are hard to see and I only see teflon tape)... you do not have an issue. If your loosing coolant... it's not from these fittings or the filter assembly.... if you were, you would be seeing "wet spots" and dried coolant somewhere more than what you think you see on those ball valves.

My coolant level varies from time to time and the slightest incline (not perfectly level) makes a difference when looking at the degas bottle level.

If your really concerned.... have your system pressure tested... have a manual pressure pump installed on the degas bottle cap and pressurize to max pressure and let it sit... and see what happens (does it hold or loose pressure... or does coolant leak out somewhere)?

On a side note... my levels vary from day to day and always have... do I know why... no... but they do go up and down depending on ambient outside temps, driving style, engine temps and the like... so that may be the variable at play with your motor???

Old 12-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Jayybird
Tuned
Fellas,
I did some more investigating on my coolant leak. I think i found the culprit, take a look at this pics
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Jayybird's Album: Coolant Leak

What is that part? What is it for? Does it leak often?

You probably can't tell, but the photo where you see my fingers acutally had coolant seaping out. ( i assume it was coolant).

What is that gray wire thing for? That usually falls off and I have to plug back in.

I checked my coolant leve and it was 1+" below the MIN line ( i had filled it up to the MIN line with the truck sitting in the same spot a while back).

Also, i checked all the coolant filter connections, hoses, degas cap, and I can't find any trace of coolant leaking in those places.

So what do yall think? Is it an easy fix?

Thanks for any input..you guys are the best!

Old 12-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
that is a device that closes the flow to the heater core when you choose max A?C // they are about $30 AND YOURS IS NOT THE FIRST TO FAIL ,, GOOD TROUBLE SHOOTING // sorry caps lock screwed me again ,, I am not yelling

Old 12-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Jayybird
Tuned
Thanks ZMANN,
I will be replacing that soon. Do you know what that part is called or know where i can find a part #? If not, I'll just run up to the dealer and show them, and get the part along with a new hose....looks like it will be a good time to go ahead and put in the new brass T as well.

THanks!

Quick Reply: Dieselsite coolant filter warning/fix (with pics)