6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Dieselsite coolant filter warning/fix (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 12:21 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
When I installed my coolant filter I used some hose pinching pliers to stop any coolant flow when I cut the lines. Worked great.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:58 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by loubell
Bob From Dieslelsite is experiencing a failure rate at a fraction of a percentage.
Just a small point, but I don't think we know that. If mine failed, it is unlikely that I would call Bob and ask for another of the same thing. I would just replace it, which is an easy thing to do as has been mentioned.

I have had my own designs fail, after years of few complaints, only to learn later that my customers were fixing it on their own.

Also, this is nothing but a plumbing fitting. Failure rate should be, and easily could be, absolutely zero.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Nitrous
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
Just a small point, but I don't think we know that. If mine failed, it is unlikely that I would call Bob and ask for another of the same thing. I would just replace it, which is an easy thing to do as has been mentioned.

I have had my own designs fail, after years of few complaints, only to learn later that my customers were fixing it on their own.

Also, this is nothing but a plumbing fitting. Failure rate should be, and easily could be, absolutely zero.
I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Jayybird
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Fellas,
Thanks for posting all the info on the diesel site T fitting, i will definitly be replacing mine soon to avoid any problems.

Quick question, somewhat off topic here.

Should your coolant level fluctuate on your degas bottle much? I keep a close eye on mine (i check it when the truck is cold, been sitting all day or overnight) and I notice that the level flucutates a good bit. Is this normal? It had been a little low for a while, so about a couple weeks ago i topped it off to the MIN line when the truck was cold. I notice that it will drop about a 1/2" below that, sometimes more, and will come back up. Never over unless its hot.

Just curious, hopefully i don't have a problem. I can't tell if i have a leak anywhere or its puking.

THanks, any input is appreciated.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:16 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
If you have to add, it's a problem. If it fluctuates with temp, that's normal.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
the coolant leaves a white residue clean around the degas bottle and see if the residue appears

Old 12-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
I installed a Dieselsite coolant filter somewhere between 50,000 - 60,000 miles (can't remember).... and now have +183,000 miles on my truck.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't all things wear out at some point? Did the opening poster report that he had a failure... or was he just advising that maybe a better design would be better (there is a difference here)?

Since new, my truck has gone through 2 alternators, HFCM fuel pump/filter, ICP sensor, a tranny sensor, brakes, tires, rotors... and with 183,000 miles, I just replaced all 8 original injectors.... I mean... geez guys, things wear out and break... so are all the things above that wore out and broke poor designs, poor machining and poor whatever as well... maybe, maybe not?

Nothing lasts forever.... but it seems that we have 3 options here:

1) Part fails - call Dieselsite and speak with Bob and get replacement.

2) Part fails - fix it yourself (so truck is not out of service) - then call Bob afterwards.

3) Part has not failed and life is good.

Personally, the coolant filter is the best mod ever designed and I believe why my 2003 6.0L Excursion is running so well... with 183,000 miles on it. After cutting open the filters and seeing what is being filtered out of my motor... I am a believer!!!!

OK... now that I have defended the Dieselsite coolant filter system and design sure hope my t-fitting does not decide to be the one in a million to fail!!!

Thanks,

Old 12-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Nitrous
Elder User
Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
I installed a Dieselsite coolant filter somewhere between 50,000 - 60,000 miles (can't remember).... and now have +183,000 miles on my truck.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't all things wear out at some point? Did the opening poster report that he had a failure... or was he just advising that maybe a better design would be better (there is a difference here)?

Since new, my truck has gone through 2 alternators, HFCM fuel pump/filter, ICP sensor, a tranny sensor, brakes, tires, rotors... and with 183,000 miles, I just replaced all 8 original injectors.... I mean... geez guys, things wear out and break... so are all the things above that wore out and broke poor designs, poor machining and poor whatever as well... maybe, maybe not?

Nothing lasts forever.... but it seems that we have 3 options here:

1) Part fails - call Dieselsite and speak with Bob and get replacement.

2) Part fails - fix it yourself (so truck is not out of service) - then call Bob afterwards.

3) Part has not failed and life is good.

Personally, the coolant filter is the best mod ever designed and I believe why my 2003 6.0L Excursion is running so well... with 183,000 miles on it. After cutting open the filters and seeing what is being filtered out of my motor... I am a believer!!!!

OK... now that I have defended the Dieselsite coolant filter system and design sure hope my t-fitting does not decide to be the one in a million to fail!!!

Thanks,
What you say is true except the part in question could quickly destroy your motor when it fails. If I put this part on by choice and I see that there are some better choices (dfuser style tee or pex) why wouldn't I choose the better. Who here will say that the dieselsite tee is better than dfuser or pex style?

Old 12-03-2010, 05:52 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

How often are you changing your filters? How much crap are you still getting out of the cooling system at that mileage?

Old 12-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
How often are you changing your filters? How much crap are you still getting out of the cooling system at that mileage?
When I first installed, I flushed the system with distilled water and ran for 6,000 miles (got about a 1/2 a t-spoon of sand out). The pictures of what I got out are the photos that are posted on the Dieselsite.com website. I was so impressed with what it filtered out, I sent the photos (and posted on this site many years back for all to see).

I then went to (for no real reason to twice a year filter changes) for the next year... then I change yearly whether it needs it or not.

I write with a sharpie marker the date and mileage of when I installed the filter (after I have installed of course) and just change it out yearly. I actually still get sand out of the filter... it is amazing.... less and less... but at 183,000 miles, I still have small round black beads of sand or something that looks like sand or carbon!!!

What I do:

1) Get an old plastic cup, funnel and coffee filter.

2) Remove old filter and keep coolant in filter upon removal (I have ball valves by the way).

3) Place coffee filter in funnel, place funnel in cup and pour coolant into/through the coffee filter so I can empty out the used filter. I will always get and see floating and loose black particles that get caught in the coffee filter.

4) As the cup fills up, I pour this "clean coolant" back into my degas bottle.

5) Repeat steps #4 and #5 until the used filter is completly empty.

6) Install new coolant filter (lube o-ring with fresh oil of course).

7) Open ball valves, close degas bottle cap and start motor and turn on heater to high to ensure coolant flow.

8) I will then cut open the old coolant filter and inspect just for kicks... and there is always some little "stuff" and black sand particles in it... not much... but after 183,000 miles, I am still amazed that there is anything... but there is!!!!

Old 12-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by Nitrous
What you say is true except the part in question could quickly destroy your motor when it fails. If I put this part on by choice and I see that there are some better choices (dfuser style tee or pex) why wouldn't I choose the better. Who here will say that the dieselsite tee is better than dfuser or pex style?
Totally agree... if better options available, then by all means go for it.

I too may check at Lowes for the brass Pex t-fitting and see if I think it would work and/or meet my needs (per the comments posted here at FTE)... but will probably not mess with my coolant filter system until I flush my entire cooling system the next time (too cold right now in Kansas City and why mess with a system that is working right now until I need to or the weather was/is warmer).

Old 12-03-2010, 06:39 PM
plomerostroker
Junior User
just to be clear. I never have dissed diesel site. Their filter system is just fine. I think every 6.0 should have one or one like it. The only thing is there are tees that will work with out any problems. I have just posted things to help others looking for alternatives. The pex tee is going to work fine and is not to hard to find.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
sure hope my t-fitting does not decide to be the one in a million to fail!!!
Honestly I think 3 posters had a fail ,, those are three on this site that found or started this thread ,,

they haven't sold anywhere near to or even close to a million

the failure ratios going to be more than 1 in a million by a long shot

Old 12-03-2010, 07:17 PM
woodlander
Senior User
i just talked to my son in law, he happened to have the plastic pex fittings in his van. He says the plastic pex seem to last better than brass. Wonder which are better for heat?

Old 12-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
depends on the heat range but the brass nor the molded fitting should not have an issue
why did he state that?

Quick Reply: Dieselsite coolant filter warning/fix (with pics)