6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Dieselsite coolant filter warning/fix (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by plomerostroker
Holy crap man!!! Do I have to post this two times? Go to a plumbing supply store, ask for a 1 x 1/2 pex tee. this goes on the line that goes to the heater coil. then get a 1/2 pex tee this goes on the return line going to the degas bottle. They are brass and yes they are real!!!. I'm a master plumber I buy them almost every day. I've had them in my coolant filter system for some time now. I wish I new how to post pics and I would show you all what they look like. Good lord!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 11-30-2010, 09:17 PM
plomerostroker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by b-uno

Thanks, that's the 1/2" one "Brass" Do ya have one of the 1x1/2?

Old 12-01-2010, 08:36 AM
oristorob
New User
Just changed my Santa want list to the dfusser coolant filter. Hope Im doing the right thing. Does anyone have any experience with the dfusser filter?

Thanks, Rob

Old 12-01-2010, 08:40 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Nope, but I do have the dieselsite filter and have had not a single lick of trouble with it.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oristorob
Just changed my Santa want list to the dfusser coolant filter. Hope Im doing the right thing. Does anyone have any experience with the dfusser filter?

Thanks, Rob
U would say it's hard to mess up a filter kit .. but then again lol

you will more than likley just get your replacment filters from napa anyway

Old 12-01-2010, 09:08 AM
BobbyB
Senior User
Bob,

I did not mean to imply that I don't like the Dieselsite filter kit. I do and would buy one again. The kit was well designed and packaged. I really liked the billet filter housing, looks good and professionally done. I didn't prefer the aluminum tee, however. I too have an engineering background and felt that the thousands of heat cycles and any side loading from the hose routing could affect the reliability of the part. Thanks.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:30 AM
smokersteve
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by High Binder
Honestly, the problem is too minor to even have you waste time on sending out a new one.

I agree, I will be getting a fitting from ace.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:26 PM
mudmagnet63
Senior User
Thanks for the info guys I think I'll buy the pex t. I just got the kit in today and haven't had a chance to check it out yet. No reason to take a chance when a cure is a couple of bucks.

Mud

Old 12-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Captain Bill
New User
Hi All,

New guy here. I found this forum a little while ago and decided to finally register.
First I would like to thank Bob from Dieselite for putting this kit together. I installed one this year and it looks good. However, being in central Maine and going into the winter with this pressed aluminum fitting, does not make me feel secure.

I will be seeing many nights below 0, and some 20 below or more. Between the continuous thermal expansion and the stiffness of the hoses at those temperatures, I don’t feel that a 2 piece, press fit, aluminum tee is the best choice. It’s a risk easily avoided and not worth taking. Interference (Press) fit parts are subject to manufacturing variables. Unless each part is mechanically tested, they are only visually inspected.

I just swapped out the tee from Dieselsite with a brass PEX 1x1x1/2. It fit perfectly. I was able to find the same brass tee on line for less than $3 each, my cost. I imagine in bulk they can be had cheaper. Just out of curiosity, I held the Dieselsite fitting in my hand, grabbed the small barb with a pair of pliers and twisted. It rotated and fell off very easily. Much easier than I expected. If Dieselsite continues to make their own part, it should be threaded and loc-tightened in my opinion.

I would also like to thank the original poster for bringing this to our attention. He put in a lot of effort and time documenting this for us. I don’t agree with Dieselsite’s position that “you chuckle that someone starts a post with "Warning". The original poster was not derogatory toward Deiselsite at all. He was just stating the facts along with a helpful fix. Some of us are comfortable with the original part, while others like me prefer to use a one piece fitting and appreciate the information.

Dieselsites assertion that “However, they are affected by too much "manhandling" when guys get over generous with the torque applied to the clamps and twist the unit apart.” Tells me there is a known issue with this part.

I never worried about breaking a metal hose barb while tightening on a rubber hose with a hose clamp. I might worry about crushing the hose or maybe stripping the clamp but never worrying about the fitting falling apart. I have to think that the extreme temperature changes and physical stress on the hoses at 20 below put more strain on the fitting than I could do by installing it.

Thanks again to all on this board. Together we can all have a better running truck.

Captain Bill

Old 12-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Nitrous
Elder User
To those who are using the 1x1x1/2 pex tee, just how tight of a fit are the hoses? I think I might pick one up tomorrow.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Captain Bill
New User
Nothing to it. Goes right on. If you have the original tee, check to see how easy it comes apart. I'm curious if I got a weak one.

Thanks

Old 12-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Nitrous
Elder User
Originally Posted by Captain Bill
Nothing to it. Goes right on. If you have the original tee, check to see how easy it comes apart. I'm curious if I got a weak one.

Thanks
I will test the strength of the pressed tee and post the results as soon as I do it.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:10 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Nitrous
To those who are using the 1x1x1/2 pex tee, just how tight of a fit are the hoses? I think I might pick one up tomorrow.
Nothing that a little lubricant and a hair dryer or heat gun won't take care of

Old 12-01-2010, 03:19 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Bill
I just swapped out the tee from Dieselsite with a brass PEX 1x1x1/2. It fit perfectly. I was able to find the same brass tee on line for less than $3 each, my cost.
Care to post a link? I didn't have much luck finding that item, including McMaster which has just about everything. I don't think I will find it locally either, because PEX is not yet approved in the local building code.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Ringwood1
New User
I found mine in Lowes. It was in the plumbing section. Home Deopt only had 3/4x3/4x1/2.
You want 1x1x1/2. I put it in while the engine was warm. It went right on. You just need to open the clamps up. I tried the same thing Captain Bill did. It came apart without much effort.

Quick Reply: Dieselsite coolant filter warning/fix (with pics)