6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Dieselsite coolant filter warning/fix (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 03:40 PM
mudmagnet63
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ordered my filter kit last week. It's good to see the owner of the product I just bought reply directly to the problem. That makes me feel better about his product. I've had my 07 for about 2 months now and love it. The filter kit is the first purchase for me after reading through the many threads on up keep of the 6.0.

Thanks Bob I'll keep you in mind for future additions to the Ford.

Mud

Old 11-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My ill advised plastic part beats some cra.p machined part hands down it is the same material major manufactures have made flush kits for radiators and other components from for years

I am glad i made my own DIY kit
press fit stuff is a joke IMHO

Old 11-30-2010, 05:01 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
I have the dieselsite kit. If I was buying again, I would buy the dfuser kit. Why?

Two reasons. First, that aluminum tee is going to fail. You can defend it all you want, but some of us have an engineering background and know a poor design when we see it. The press fit is a mistake, and the thin wall of the aluminum tube is a mistake. You will have failures, it is just a matter of time and vibration. Those DIY installers who don't leave a generous loop of hose will be the first to have failures. I'm sure you will stand behind your product when it fails, but I wonder if you will pay for my lost vacation time and whatever damage is done to my truck?

Second was the hose clamps not properly sized for the application. That was a little tacky, IMO.

I'm on the record here on these two issues already. So I'm not just jumping on the bandwagon.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
bpounds well stated !!!

thats what I am saying !!!
defending a problem is crap ! man up and fix it .. stating they couldn't find a better part?? ,, then don't sell the stuff ! I made my own kit with a few tees and a left over remote oil filter kit ,, no problems or even the folks that fixed the existing press fit kit with a tap and npt barbed fitting .. hell even the pex brass tee solution was better ..

I just crossed the Mohave desert with my set up ,, I would have been pissed if a high dollar kit failed

I do not have an engineering back round .. just a mill and a lathe and common sense

Old 11-30-2010, 05:22 PM
rocknut
Senior User
guess I better check mine more often so I don't get stranded somewhere with no rad fluid.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
dfussers kit

Old 11-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Ringwood1
New User
I have to agree. I put a Dieselsite kit in recently. The first thing I looked for were the lock washers for the filter mount.
Installing the kit, I noticed that the hose clamps were oversized making the install look sloppy. The thin washer on the mounting bolt deformed after trying to tighten it. It never really felt tight because it kept bending. I took it off and replaced the washer with a thicker steel washer. I could now feel it tighten up. This mounting bolt should also have some locking. I used a ny-loc nut in place of the plain nut supplied.

Now that I realize that that thin wall aluminum tee is just press fit, I will be swapping it out tomorrow. I will use a threaded brass tee with threaded barbs as shown in one of the posts. I do not want that week link under my hood. No peace of mind there.

All in all the kit works, but for the money spent, some of the details that make it a professional product aren’t there.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:34 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
I will say after re reading all the posts Dieselsite does show concern and they were just missing some input from the end users ,, we are a bunch that will fix it ourselves so I bet Bob will address the issue now that it has been brought to his attention

Old 11-30-2010, 07:38 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Zmann
I will say after re reading all the posts Dieselsite does show concern and they were just missing some input from the end users ,, we are a bunch that will fix it ourselves so I bet Bob will address the issue now that it has been brought to his attention
I agree, and I appreciate him coming in and explaining his position and including some of the background. Hopefully Bob will consider it as constructive criticizm. Like most things, it has room for improvement.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
You are so good at putting many comments in a "nutshell"
I agree

Old 11-30-2010, 07:50 PM
gunnarGSD
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had the same issue in the spring when I did my oil cooler. I called Bob who was great and he sent out a new piece right away no questions asked. I keep an eye on it anyways and it has not leaked since. However the design is still a weak link in my opinion with the pressed fit. Perhaps a small weld after the piece is fitted will fix the problem? I don't have any expeirence with the DFuser kit but to me the only difference is they use a four piece brass fitting combo to do the same job as the aluminum "T". I would never use plastic, just personal preference.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:51 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
I've never used this stuff, but it looks like it could be a good solution. Of course soldered brass could do the job as well.

YouTube - Aluminum Welding, Brazing & Soldering Tips: Join Brass to Aluminum

Old 11-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Zmann
Posting Guru
I tried it ,, no go for me

Old 11-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
I made my own kit from the napa filter head. Im pretty sure I saved like $20 overall. Next time I would just buy a kit. But I used the plastic HELP tee 3/4 x 3/8 x 3/4. I inspected it after about 3 weeks and found a small leak. I pulled it apart and found the tee warping on one of the 3/4 sides. I then went to home depot and bought a 1"x1/2"x1" pex tee. It was tight as hell but now its Bulletproof. Plastic tee = failure and leaking coolant. and with all the signs of things failing on this truck linked to coolant behaviour. I would change that tee asap!

As to the dieselsite tee failing, stuff happens and life goes on. Its how the problem is handled that makes all the difference. Bob said he would replace the tee so be it. maybe ask him to send a backup to keep on hand as a just incase.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:08 PM
plomerostroker
Junior User
Originally Posted by DIESELSITE
Because no such tee exists. Brass tees can only be bought in same size branches. If I could buy an off the shelf (and I do obviously from the other tee as you can see), I would. I mean, why else would I spend 3 times as much to make something I could buy?

Now, you could build a tee using brass fittings, but that option is huge and weighs a ton. It's about as ugly as crap too.

Like I said before already. I could spend 1.50 and use the plastic tees (that's my cost in bulk), but was quickly warned from using them from the supplier for failure reasons. I don't pick a part or make a part that might be easier. When you send out 50-100 a week of anything, you simply don't want even a 1% failure rate. So, with that in mind, if I was having the nightmare that some must think I'm having, wouldn't I just use a plastic fitting or brass (doesn't exist anyway) if that would solve it?

Bob
Holy crap man!!! Do I have to post this two times? Go to a plumbing supply store, ask for a 1 x 1/2 pex tee. this goes on the line that goes to the heater coil. then get a 1/2 pex tee this goes on the return line going to the degas bottle. They are brass and yes they are real!!!. I'm a master plumber I buy them almost every day. I've had them in my coolant filter system for some time now. I wish I new how to post pics and I would show you all what they look like. Good lord!!!

Quick Reply: Dieselsite coolant filter warning/fix (with pics)