Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute
Old 11-21-2014, 11:41 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides

Browse all: 4WD Guides
Print Wikipost

ABS LIGHT ON ANd 4WD LIGHT FLASHING

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 04:40 PM
rickfar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS LIGHT ON ANd 4WD LIGHT FLASHING

on my way home from turkey dinner today i noticed my abs light came on and my 4wd light came on and flashed 8 times and then goes off then about a minute later the 4wd flashed 8x again then off and kept repeating but the abs light stayed on solid the whole time any thing where i should start looking at? thanks for any help guys

Old 11-25-2010, 06:04 PM
mittsoff
New User
I have a 2006 xlt sport 4x4 escape that has the same issue. the flashing 4x4 means 4x4 is disengaged and your unit is front wheel drive. Im not sure what causes it in either case.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:43 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
could be a tone ring.Its located on the axle shaft behind the front rotor.I'd jack up the front and spin the wheel and look to see if it has a crack in it between the teeth.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:03 PM
rickfar
Senior User
ok found out it was tone ring drivers side so................. I have wheel off,axle nut off half shaft is loose i can move it back and forth caliber off and hung bolt loosened on lower ball joint can not get ball joint bolt to come out but how in the hell do you get that @@##%%&&#@!!** ball joint out im stuck......................any other help on this would be appreciated

Old 11-26-2010, 02:06 PM
rickfar
Senior User
ok update got ball joint bolt out but ball joint would not come all the way out got half way out then it would not budge i take it it was from dirt rust ect i even tried to use big pry bar between knuckle and a arm but it would not budge then i tried the other route to take bolt out of arm where it attaches to frame and swing it out and bolt would turn about 10 times then got tight as hell so that scared me as i did not want to break that bolt off then i would be in a fubar for sure . So then i disconnected strut bolts at knuckle and low and behold there was a nuff wiggle room for shaft to come thru knuckle and all is well i think . New ring from advance will not be here till tomorrow but putting it all back together should be no muss no fuss. I hope i didnt change alignment by messing with strut bolts ...............

Old 11-26-2010, 04:15 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
no it should be fine.I took the bolt out,then take a drift pin and and pound the ball joint down out of lower control arm.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:17 PM
rickfar
Senior User
ok here is my delema i just checked on line at advance and i can get a whole axle for 55.00 sounds like i should just replace but how do you get axle out of tranny it is drivers side any reply before tomorrow would help me alot as why just pay 15.00 for ring ? also car has 114,000 miles so it wouldnt hurt to replace whole cv shaft i looked and dont see how shaft comes out of tranny

Old 11-26-2010, 05:27 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Does it clunk when you turn like your axle is bad or going bad?I just replaced the ring on mine.Mine has 178,000 and no noises.But if you want to change it you have to pop it out of the trans.Take a bar and it put it between trans and flange on the axle shaft and pry out it should pop out.If you just change the tone ring I took a file and filed some of the rust off the diameter that the ring fits on new one slid on easily

Old 11-27-2010, 11:18 AM
rickfar
Senior User
got it all together bought new axle went together ok I think for the extra 45.00 it wa worth it to change whole axle car has 114000 miles and im going to keep it till the wheels fall off. I had one fubar putting back ball joint bolt as i had the ball joint to high in the knuckle and i tried to force bolt thru and fubared the bolt went to dealer and got new nut and bolt in fact they gave it to me dont figure Now I'm waiting for the passenger side to go guess so it goes .................

Old 11-27-2010, 03:53 PM
tonyford
Elder User
Originally Posted by rickfar
got it all together bought new axle went together ok I think for the extra 45.00 it wa worth it to change whole axle car has 114000 miles and im going to keep it till the wheels fall off. I had one fubar putting back ball joint bolt as i had the ball joint to high in the knuckle and i tried to force bolt thru and fubared the bolt went to dealer and got new nut and bolt in fact they gave it to me dont figure Now I'm waiting for the passenger side to go guess so it goes .................
Just wondering if you know how much money you saved by doing this yourself? Just guessing with the current Ford dealership shop rate and the mark up on the drive axle, you probably saved about $300 or more.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:20 PM
rickfar
Senior User
Originally Posted by tonyford
Just wondering if you know how much money you saved by doing this yourself? Just guessing with the current Ford dealership shop rate and the mark up on the drive axle, you probably saved about $300 or more.
I knew i woulod be saving money and i figured a few hundred dollars and it really is not that tough and if i had a lift and some other tools it would be a piece of cake as it was a first for me i now have the experience under my belt and its a good feeling and priceless

Old 11-28-2010, 05:21 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
I just replaced my lower control arms and found my ball joint did't come out until i cut the wheel all the way then it slid right out.No way to get a drift pin in there last time I had the struit unbolted and could do it that way.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:05 PM
eclarsen
New User
I've had a 2007 Escape w/ 30K miles for 3 wks. Just took my first longish trip and I have the ABS light came on perhaps 20-30 miles down the road. 4WD light came on and as stated in a previous post, flashes 8X, then off for a minute and flashes again.

These dash lights do not come on immediately when I start the engine or start driving. It takes a little bit of time for them to come on.

Unfortunately, I did not notice them during my test drive, nor during any of the short trips on errands in the week after I bought the vehicle.

What's the likelihood that it developed in the 50-60 miles I drove after taking it off the lot?

Are the things you guys are discussing above warranty items for a 2007 vehicle?

If I can't fix it myself, what's it going to cost me if the business I bought it from doesn't accept responsibility?

Thanks.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:24 PM
eclarsen
New User
OK to drive w/ these lights on?

Just had another thought -- are these lights indicating a mechanical failure has already happened that needs attention or

is a mechanical problem brewing that may result in greater expense if not taken care of soon or

is it likely a sensor problem and can be ignored for a while.

I've read a couple of threads on this issue and have no experience/knowledge to guide me here.

What is a tone ring. What does it do?

Bad sensors light up the same ABS/4WD lights as a bad tone ring?

Any particular problem more likely with a 2007, 30,000 mi Escape?

Old 12-06-2010, 03:16 PM
rickfar
Senior User
Originally Posted by eclarsen
Just had another thought -- are these lights indicating a mechanical failure has already happened that needs attention or

is a mechanical problem brewing that may result in greater expense if not taken care of soon or

is it likely a sensor problem and can be ignored for a while.

I've read a couple of threads on this issue and have no experience/knowledge to guide me here.

What is a tone ring. What does it do?

Bad sensors light up the same ABS/4WD lights as a bad tone ring?

Any particular problem more likely with a 2007, 30,000 mi Escape?
the tone ring is what is attached to your axle and it has teeth on it and as it goes around a sensor picks up the pulses from the teeth it lets computer know if you have wheel slip and decides if 4wd is needed and also helps abs work . Im sure you have more than 36000 miles and would assume that it is not a warrenty issue but if you bought it from a dealer he might replace it as it is only a 15.00 item . I just replaced mine last week but i replaced entire axle as it was a 40 dollar differance .I did not find it to intimidating but everyone is differant i had some problems as my other post describe but trying to get that skinny ring on a rusted cv could be a problem . all you have to do is get under the car and see if ring is broken or it just spins. If it is still in the 3 yrs 36000 try it under warranty.

Last edited by rickfar; 12-06-2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: adding

Quick Reply: ABS LIGHT ON ANd 4WD LIGHT FLASHING