1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

56 COE

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:39 PM
old ugly
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
56 COE

Just thought I'd try posting this picture.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:47 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
I like it!

And the extra letter holes in the header tells me it's something special, too! Very Cool!

Old 11-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice big truck yuh got there.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:57 PM
old ugly
Senior User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
I like it!

And the extra letter holes in the header tells me it's something special, too! Very Cool!
It's hard to teach an old fart new tricks. With daughter-in laws help I might get it yet. Put it on Photobucket as someone suggested. Wayne you are right. As far as I can tell it was built in Detroit unless Canada used different codes. Also Wayne, I haven't forgotten about you.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:55 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Canadian trucks use totally different codes and tags from US production. If your truck was truly built in Detroit, it can't be a Mercury. That was a Canada only thing.

If you have pictures of tags or vin codes, post them here and we'll try to decode them for you.

And yes, I'd still appreciate anything you might dig up on Vernon history or Mick's Moving. Thanks!

Old 11-25-2010, 12:36 AM
old ugly
Senior User
Canadian trucks use totally different codes and tags from US production. If your truck was truly built in Detroit, it can't be a Mercury. That was a Canada only thing.

If you have pictures of tags or vin codes, post them here and we'll try to decode them for you.

And yes, I'd still appreciate anything you might dig up on Vernon history or Mick's Moving. Thanks!
It definitely has a U.S. vin. C50V6H00000. C50=C500 cab forward, V=272 light, 6=yr, H=Detroit Truck. Is it possible that all coe's were built at Detroit Truck ? I don't think that this truck was altered, horn button, emblems all Merc. No extra holes in hood.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:55 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Originally Posted by old ugly
It definitely has a U.S. vin. C50V6H00000. C50=C500 cab forward, V=272 light, 6=yr, H=Detroit Truck. Is it possible that all coe's were built at Detroit Truck ? I don't think that this truck was altered, horn button, emblems all Merc. No extra holes in hood.
If it is actually a US built Mercury, that would be news to me, not that I am the difinitive expert by any means. My understanding is that because of trade and tarriff laws, Candian sales came from Canadian production, and Mercurys were neither built nor sold in the US. But you may be onto something because it is a COE. Perhaps they bent the rules here. Here's a link to the Mercury Trucks website data tag page for '56. It doesn't mention COE's like they do in previous years. I suppose anything is possible.

1956 Ford & Mercury Serial Plate

Old 11-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
I'd still appreciate anything you might dig up on Vernon history or Mick's Moving.
Wayne............................................. ...door art for the Merc??

Old 11-25-2010, 10:29 PM
old ugly
Senior User
If it is actually a US built Mercury, that would be news to me, not that I am the difinitive expert by any means. My understanding is that because of trade and tarriff laws, Candian sales came from Canadian production, and Mercurys were neither built nor sold in the US. But you may be onto something because it is a COE. Perhaps they bent the rules here. Here's a link to the Mercury Trucks website data tag page for '56. It doesn't mention COE's like they do in previous years. I suppose anything is possible.

1956 Ford & Mercury Serial Plate
This was only a guess. There aren't any numbers plates left on the cab that I have found. If any one has an idea where hidden numbers might be I'd definitely look. Am hoping that another Merc coe owner might come along and put in their two bits worth. My thoughts are possibly Detroit built them for export only.I was always under the impression that Mercs were only built in Can. until this came along.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:43 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Old F1
Wayne............................................. ...door art for the Merc??
Probably not door art, but Old Ugly found my post from a long time ago asking for history and pm'd me he had some. The info would go great with the insurance cards I found in the truck from 1952/53, naming Mick's Moving and Storage in Vernon as the owner. Plans for it would be to end up in a truck build scrap book. I'm just a sap for history and trivia.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:48 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
This was only a guess. There aren't any numbers plates left on the cab that I have found. If any one has an idea where hidden numbers might be I'd definitely look.
Where did you find the numbers you posted? Frame? Title? Are you saying you don't have a glove box door tag or a tag on the drivers door jamb? It may be just as possible some previous owner added Mercury trim parts to your truck. It wouldn't be the first time.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:11 AM
old ugly
Senior User
Where did you find the numbers you posted? Frame? Title? Are you saying you don't have a glove box door tag or a tag on the drivers door jamb? It may be just as possible some previous owner added Mercury trim parts to your truck. It wouldn't be the first time.
Wayne- Glove box tag is gone, only screw holes left. Only frame numbers and from a B.C. Gov. lic. plate trace that matched frame numbers When sanding and painting hood inside and out found no trace of altering. Ford had the emblem in center front of hood,( no holes filled there) Merc holes across front below hood look factory. When Gov. did search in 1983 it came back as 1956 Mercury Flat Deck, ser. # C5OV6H00000 and last registered owner.(long gone). Thank you for Merc info.- Rod

Old 11-26-2010, 06:34 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
When Gov. did search in 1983 it came back as 1956 Mercury Flat Deck, ser. # C5OV6H00000
I'd say that's pretty clear information there. Keep us posted if you find out anything else.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:40 PM
old ugly
Senior User
I'd say that's pretty clear information there. Keep us posted if you find out anything else.
Wayne- I thank you very very much for your input. I really don't know where to go from here. Would be nice to know if my theory is right or wrong. Was hoping to hear from coe owners, Ford or Merc, older or newer to see where they were built. Maybe should try a new thread on subject and see what comes up. I realy can't remember if the few I've seen were all Fords or not. I"m pretty sure Mercs are fairly rare.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:18 PM
old ugly
Senior User
Mick's Moving & Storage

Probably not door art, but Old Ugly found my post from a long time ago asking for history and pm'd me he had some. The info would go great with the insurance cards I found in the truck from 1952/53, naming Mick's Moving and Storage in Vernon as the owner. Plans for it would be to end up in a truck build scrap book. I'm just a sap for history and trivia.
Wayne, I hope I'm doing this right. Made a phone call today to a person by the name of Pat Mick. My wife's hunches were correct, I worked with him about 15 yrs ago and he is the son of Francis Mick prop. of Mick's M&S. His phone number is (250)542-3317. He said he had a picture of his mom and his dad holding him by what is probably your truck. Sadly he had a house fire last summer but he thinks he still has the pic. Sounds like he would be interested in trading info and pics but is computer illiterate like I am. I believe his mother is still alive so she may be of help also. If you do phone him and give him your mailing address ask if he could pass it on so I can send what little I have to you. Good Luck-Rod

Quick Reply: 56 COE