6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

CLEANING INTAKE MANIFOLD

Old 11-04-2010, 02:42 PM
PADLER
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLEANING INTAKE MANIFOLD

long story short, i am in the process of doing an oil cooler and a egr delete. (fun job on its own) I have the intake manifold off and it is filled with black junky tar. Just a complete mess. I am waiting for the new parts to get here and am wondering what the best way to clean this is. I was thinks of just letting it sit in some simple green for a few days until the parts came in and then pressure washing it all out. Will giving it a good soak hurt anything or am i better off spraying it down quick scrub and repeating until it's clean.

Also gonna clean the turbo while it's off so any tips on that would be of great help but i am looking for answers to that currently.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:19 PM
hubler13f
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I soaked mine for a couple days in simple green and castrols super clean (wicked stuff) and all of the crap still didn't come out.
If you have a place around you that will hot tank it, take it there and it will remove everything.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:06 PM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried it and gave up quickly, there really isn't any benefit anyway.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:44 PM
smokersteve
Posting Guru
Wallmart has "Purple Power" that works really well, its a concentrated degreaser.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:23 PM
rocky1074
Elder User
Originally Posted by PADLER

Also gonna clean the turbo while it's off so any tips on that would be of great help but i am looking for answers to that currently.

This site will help you with your turbo:
Diesel Technician Society

Also this is the kit I purchased for recondition the turbo. 4C4Z-9V424-AA

It come with everything you will need. I ordered from Ed the Parts Guy

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214072

Old 12-14-2010, 10:06 AM
idgara73612
Freshman User
Originally Posted by rocky1074
Also this is the kit I purchased for recondition the turbo. 4C4Z-9V424-AA

It come with everything you will need.
rocky, what's included in that kit? Is it specialty pieces you can only get thru this kit, or is it just different sanding pads and such that you could get on your own, and maybe save some money?

Old 12-14-2010, 10:22 AM
jasontrucks76
Senior User
I spent 5 or 6 bucks at the quarter wash with hot soapy water and degreaser and got it pretty clean. I would bet soaking it in some degreaser first would have been a benifit.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:25 AM
wulfman
Posting Guru

I just finished oil cooler egr cooler welded, and i tried cleaning mine. I have parts cleaning tank with the flamble stuff in it, crap cleans anything i have put in there. And manifold fit, so i let sit for three days , pulled it out little bit gone but not much. I also use purple power from wally world, repeated spraying and hose downs did a better job. If you could let it sit in purple power i think it would clean it , say a few days

Old 12-14-2010, 10:31 AM
ncdawg
New User
Clean Intake

I also wanted to clean my intake when I did my oil cooler/egr delete. I was told by a couple of people on the forum to hot tank my intake and some said not to. I talked to my local ford diesel engine mechanic, and he warned against hot tanking for a couple of reasons. First, some use places use too harsh chemicals that can pit the intake, and they don't get it very clean for the cost. Secondly, it will just re-goo up again in short time and again you don't get your monies worth. I just took some carb cleaner and long nylon brush and cleaned it the best I could. Make sure you wear old clothes because you are going to get covered in some nasty black stuff. On the other hand, if you really do want to hot tank it, I would look over the shops procedures and ask the person doing it a lot of questions. Intakes are not cheap.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:54 AM
High Binder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ncdawg
I also wanted to clean my intake when I did my oil cooler/egr delete. I was told by a couple of people on the forum to hot tank my intake and some said not to. I talked to my local ford diesel engine mechanic, and he warned against hot tanking for a couple of reasons. First, some use places use too harsh chemicals that can pit the intake, and they don't get it very clean for the cost. Secondly, it will just re-goo up again in short time and again you don't get your monies worth. I just took some carb cleaner and long nylon brush and cleaned it the best I could. Make sure you wear old clothes because you are going to get covered in some nasty black stuff. On the other hand, if you really do want to hot tank it, I would look over the shops procedures and ask the person doing it a lot of questions. Intakes are not cheap.

It would only 're-goo' if you kept your EGR system running but since you deleted it...

Old 12-14-2010, 11:41 AM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have it hot tanked, it will be FINE. Most any local machine shop should be able to do it. With the EGR deleted, it should not re-goo as much.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:40 AM
TheBestKindOfEX
Senior User
dip dip dip

I recently did ARP studs and took my intake with me to the machine shop when I had the heads checked. My intake was HORRIBLE to say the least. The shop hot dipped it for $25 and it was like new! Dover Heads in ATL is the shiz....

Old 12-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Technically the only real need to have your intake manifold cleaned is for excessive build up around the EGR valve mixer and clogging of the port that goes from the cooler to the EGR valve inside the manifold.

If you are simply replacing the valve and servicing the manifold, scraping vacuuming of the large chunks of carbon followed by some scrubbing with an appropriate nylon brush and a chemical cleaner is all that is needed. As stated, the manifold is going to soot up again if the EGR valve is still in use therefore cleaning it to the point of being spotless is pointless.

Having the manifold hot-tanked is necessary when the EGR port is loaded with crust which is typically a combination of carbon and coolant that eventually breaks off and gets stuck in the EGR valve, hanging it open. This type of build up usually only happens with an EGR cooler failure that has allowed coolant to slowly leak into the cooler. Many technicians will have the manifold tanked when EGR coolers fail. In the past I have seen too many trucks get towed back in because even thought he coolers had been replaced and the technician (myself included) did a great job with the repair, the chunks will continue to break off and get caught in the valve unless they are completely removed.

I have never heard of any ill-effects of hot tanking. Blasting it with degreasers and chemicals and washing it out with a water hose usually brings poor results and unless you are hosing or pressure washing where the run off is drained into a waste collection tank of some sort you will be polluting and making a big mess where you are working. It can get downright ugly in fact. Don't ask How I know...

If you are in the EGR delete gang, having the manifold cleaned will only serve to make you feel good about it but if the EGR is removed from the equation the manifold will remain clean so in that sense it is worth doing.