Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Triton V10 in Motorhome

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 08:26 AM
DiveGal
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Triton V10 in Motorhome

Hi all. I am new to this forum and trying to find out if anyone has encountered an problems with the Triton V10 in a motorhome? Is this the right forum?

If so, we are considering a 1998 Winnebago Itasca Sunflyer with a Triton V10. Anybody hear of any problems or experienced any themselves?

Do you know of anyplace else I should be looking? Thanks for your help!

DiveGal

Old 10-30-2010, 09:17 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by DiveGal
Hi all. I am new to this forum and trying to find out if anyone has encountered an problems with the Triton V10 in a motorhome? Is this the right forum?

If so, we are considering a 1998 Winnebago Itasca Sunflyer with a Triton V10. Anybody hear of any problems or experienced any themselves?

Do you know of anyplace else I should be looking? Thanks for your help!

DiveGal
Early in the model run on this chassis. Winnebago tended to use short wheelbase chassis on some models, so be sure to drive it on the interstate next to semis to see how it does in the wind. Lots of problems with wheel balance in this year Ford chassis, so take notice of how smoothly it goes down the road. Wheels commonly had to be replaced. Will likely see 7-8 mpg overall.

No particular problem with engine. I have driven it in a number of coaches.

Be sure to negotiate on the price. Class Cs are really hot sellers at present, but not As, so you have to buy it right. Without a slide-out, you need to be way under book! Given the age of this coach, you are nearly lifespan of appliances (industry normally uses 10 years as ball park). Anticipate some repairs.

Good hunting,

Steve

Old 10-30-2010, 10:48 AM
DiveGal
New User
Steve, since you have some knowledge of RV's, can you tell me where I should go with a couple of questions about the RV itself? It is a Class A and it has 2 slides. I can't find a model with 2 slides on NADA. I want to provide the bank with info so they can give me their value. Should I go on Winnebago site? It is a Winnebago Itasca Sunflyer.

Thanks so much for the info.

Robin

Old 10-30-2010, 11:13 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Steve, since you have some knowledge of RV's, can you tell me where I should go with a couple of questions about the RV itself? It is a Class A and it has 2 slides. I can't find a model with 2 slides on NADA. I want to provide the bank with info so they can give me their value. Should I go on Winnebago site? It is a Winnebago Itasca Sunflyer.

Thanks so much for the info.

Robin
Robin,

It is not unusual to have difficulty with pricing as the model year is not as clear cut with RVs as cars and trucks. We run into it all the time on the lot. Makes financing crazy. Winnebago was actually very late to the party with slide-outs and it actually crushed their sales for a couple of years.

That Sunflyer you are considering probably came down the line as they were shifting production from 98s to 99s. That means pricing is more like a 99. In 99, double slide Sunflyers came on two models, a 34 1/2 footer and a 36-footer. I would check the title itself to be sure it is a 1998, but I would price it closer to a 99 model.

The NADA guide is what banks use. There is no point going anywhere else.

Steve

Old 10-30-2010, 11:33 AM
DiveGal
New User
Found the Yr/Model

Okay, I answered my own question. There was a picture of the "label" with the VIN and on the Itasca site there was an explanation of the VIN. Turns out the chassis is a 1999, so I was able to find the model with 2 slides instead of just 1. Makes more sense.

Does the chassis being a 1999 make any difference to you as to whether there are any particular issues?

Thanks so much for your help.

Robin

Old 10-30-2010, 12:34 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Okay, I answered my own question. There was a picture of the "label" with the VIN and on the Itasca site there was an explanation of the VIN. Turns out the chassis is a 1999, so I was able to find the model with 2 slides instead of just 1. Makes more sense.

Does the chassis being a 1999 make any difference to you as to whether there are any particular issues?

Thanks so much for your help.

Robin
98 or 99 makes no difference.

Steve

Old 03-07-2011, 02:41 AM
polfrench
New User
usmotorhome

hello
i am french and i m intereseted t by usmotorhome ( classA)
but my question
Consumption mpg ??
somebody on this forum has and idea about this
RV powered with TRITON V10
also
have you i idea about best rv
i look for 33 34 Footer ( i am in europe not in USA with small street , many curve small parking ect..... the old continent )
also i go to ski ( alp pyrennes ) with sometimes minus 20 where is the best insulation rv
by the way
i look there are 2 engine possible ( the most usable ) ford triton v10 and chevy vortec 8.1L
i need also the same answers about this
thank you for your reply
polfrench

Old 03-07-2011, 07:02 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
My sister just traded their class C with a V-10. I believe it was a 34' with a single slide around a 98' model year.

They had around 78,000 miles, generally pulling a trailer with 4 wheelers and motorcycles. Had no problems at all with the engine or transmission. I don't remember what the brand was, just that it was a Ford chassis. Seemed to do alright on hills.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:30 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a 98 Bounder 35u, nearly ,40 ft, with the V10, bought it new. It was a great motor until one of the plugs blew out. That seemed to be a common problem on early
V10's. I had to replace the head so it was not an easy task. This happened at about the 50k mark, I then drove it several years after that with out a problem. I towed a jeep cherokee all over the Southwest, pulled mountains, especially the pull from Phoenix to Flagstaff on several occasions. That will test your soul in a motorhome, let me tell you. Avg mpg towing jeep and fully loaded was always 9 mpg. Varied little from flat out across the plains to pulling mountain passes. I would buy one again in a motorhome before a diesel at this point in time. Even though I love diesels, the V10 performed, no doubt about it.
I know its not a Winnabago, but the motor and frame are still the same. Keep the oil changed and check the fluids religiously and you will enjoy it for years to come.
Happy RVing.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Ken Gasper
New User
Ford v10 triton gas milage

My folks just bought a 22' Born Free motor home that was supposed to have a very fresh $750 tuneup including spark coils etc...

During their maiden trip, they are only getting about 6 mpg. Certainly there must be something wrong. I cant believe that suck a small aerodynamic vehicle as this will get only 6 mpg...

What do you think about that mpg?

Do you have any suggestions as to where to start looking.
How about an upgraded computer chip?

Old 04-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had posted previous in this thread about my v-10. I averaged about 9 pulling a jeep, but that was several years ago with "real" gasoline without all this alcohol in it. With the E10 and E15 plus winter blends, 6 would not be out of the picture in my opinon. The best thing I did to mine was put Banks headers and transmission mods plus intake and a little tune. That is how I got 9, about 8 before that but pulling inclines, I had more torque.