Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking And we have another addition to the chapter: hiredgun

Welcome to the Arkansas Chapter: hiredgun

Welcome!!

Old 10-21-2010, 08:03 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Welcome to the chapter. Hmmm.... hiredgun, I've got a litle problem that maybe you could help me with....

Old 10-21-2010, 08:18 AM
hiredgun
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi folks,
I am a long time Ford truck owner, bought my first new in 1983 a 2wd F150 lwb 300 4 speed before i got outa high school, then in the Airforce in 1986 was in Wyomming got a 4wd F150 302 fi 4speed kept it till 2000, then got a SD V10 4wd 5 speed manual , now own an 04 SD 6.0 4door and my new to me 1982 F100
this is a great forum, love the pics, the 1980-86s are still my favorites.
Oh to explain the "hiredgun" been in Law Enforcement 22 years and worked overseas as a contractor for UN

Last edited by hiredgun; 10-21-2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: add info
Old 10-21-2010, 08:30 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the chapter, for once...a fellow 6.0L has joined. And it's another crew cab truck at that. I was beginning to think Joe was working on a conspiracy against a mis-understood motor.
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Hmmm.... hiredgun, I've got a litle problem that maybe you could help me with....
I was thinking the same thing
Originally Posted by hiredgun
Oh to explain the "hiredgun" been in Law Enforcement 22 years and worked overseas as a contractor for UN
Well crap, so much for solving that problem. Welcome to the group anyway. Most of us are normal...depending on which definition you use.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:38 PM
hiredgun
Mountain Pass
Yeah i love my 6.0L but about 3 weeks ago got a bad scare white smoke and my "pull anything that has a place to hook to truck" was not running so well, two days of searching and the afternoon talking to a diesel mechanic, found that the heads were okay and the egr cooler was leaking coolant into the exhaust, 300 bucks and two vacation days spent no more white smoke and now i can't seem to find that egr cooler

Old 10-26-2010, 09:05 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by hiredgun
Yeah i love my 6.0L but about 3 weeks ago got a bad scare white smoke and my "pull anything that has a place to hook to truck" was not running so well, two days of searching and the afternoon talking to a diesel mechanic, found that the heads were okay and the egr cooler was leaking coolant into the exhaust, 300 bucks and two vacation days spent no more white smoke and now i can't seem to find that egr cooler
Did you leave the EGR valve plugged in? There was a rather long thread in the 6.0L forum about how if you unplug it the radiator fan clutch won't engage...even if the truck is on the verge of or is overheating. I'm not sure if it's all flashes or those from 2005 and up on the re-flashes.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:07 PM
hiredgun
Mountain Pass
left it plugged, but the 04s and down will operate either way, with no codes

Old 10-26-2010, 09:17 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
It will still throw a code, just a "soft one"...no CEL light. I ran with my unplugged for about 30k miles and didn't have a CEL. When my truck started to act up back in June (was loosing three injectors) I plugged in a Predator to check to see what was going on. I don't remember the exact 5 digit numeric code...but basically the PCM wasn't getting a response from the valve. Unlike the '05 and up...the PCM doesn't through a hard code (CEL light) and I'm thinking some of the later '06 & '07 would go into limp mode if you ran with it unpluged. Maybe I'm getting the 6.4L confused on that last part (lack of sleep)...but someone will have to give me...and I do mean give it to me before I'll own a 6.4L. Now the 6.7L....that's another story, that's yet to be written in my book.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Welcome. Man, and I just gave away an '82 F150 longbed rolling body. Only missing the trans, rad, alternator, ignition, drive shaft and 3rd member(they're all in my '61).

Sorry about the noisy, smelly SuperDuty. ;-)

Doesn't anyone in this state besides me burn plain old gas anymore? Next thing you know, Jeff'll be trying to stuff a diesel in that new Softail.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:23 PM
hiredgun
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
Welcome. Man, and I just gave away an '82 F150 longbed rolling body. Only missing the trans, rad, alternator, ignition, drive shaft and 3rd member(they're all in my '61).

Sorry about the noisy, smelly SuperDuty. ;-)

Doesn't anyone in this state besides me burn plain old gas anymore? Next thing you know, Jeff'll be trying to stuff a diesel in that new Softail.
yeah well the oil burner is okay now, i am swapping the 82 over to 4wd, started cut n rivets this evening using a F150 as a donor and the spring are 1/2 inch wider, but i am glad to dump the 3 speed o/d for the T18

Old 10-26-2010, 09:24 PM
mudder460
Posting Guru
Welcome to the chapter!

Old 10-26-2010, 09:27 PM
hiredgun
Mountain Pass
thanks mudder

Old 10-26-2010, 09:36 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Next thing you know, Jeff'll be trying to stuff a diesel in that new Softail.
Hmmm.... now that's a thought NOT!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-26-2010, 09:36 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Apparently not, that's got to be the reason for a 45-55 cent spread over gasoline.. Bet if he did, it won't leak any more oil than the stocker. Doesn't Kawasaki offer a dual sport or dirt bike type of bike that's a diesel burner? Seem to remember it started out as something for SF but has found some civilian uses.
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Hmmm.... now that's a thought
Don't be scared Jeff, you know deep down your thinking about if one of those ThermoKing engines if you could get it to fit in a trike. You could always do what Leno did with that jet bike of his. I understand you can get a turbine to burn diesel pretty easily.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:25 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Doesn't anyone in this state besides me burn plain old gas anymore?
Well technically I've got more gas burners than oil burners..just not on the road.

This last GTG was the furthest I've pulled my camper since I bought the 250, and it was nice to put the whole gang in there and just take off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: And we have another addition to the chapter: hiredgun