Ohio Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: RUNVS

Those who tow, better get ready for the new changes..

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:37 AM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Those who tow, better get ready for the new changes..

Guys and Gals, if you tow , be prepared to be pulled over, i do not think this applies to RV'ers yet..
PUCO Revises Truck Carrier Safety Rules:
Profound Effects for Ohio Landscape/Nursery Industry
September 3, 2010, Westerville, OH-The Ohio Nursery & Landscape Association (ONLA) has recently become aware of changes made to Ohio's motor carrier transportation safety rules. The rule changes are substantial and important and will significantly impact members of Ohio's green industry, specifically those operating vehicles with GVW of 10,001 to 26,000 pounds. These rules are already in effect, however, active enforcement will begin January 1, 2011.
ONLA is proactively working to learn more about the rule changes to determine what, if any, measures can be taken on behalf of our membership and other green industries. The ONLA is acquiring a legal opinion on this matter and continues to communicate with legislators and representatives of PUCO on behalf of all ONLA members.
More details will be shared. In the interim, please read through the rule change FAQs, as provided to us by PUCO.
The Public Utilities Commission (PUCO) has revised its rules relative to motor carrier transportation safety (Lawriter - OAC - Chapter 4901:2-5 Safety Standards ). These revised rules now extend PUCO's jurisdiction to regulate vehicle safety to vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,001 to 26,000 pounds that are operating on a not-for-hire basis within the state.
These new regulations were adopted by the state of Ohio so that we may continue to receive federal grant money for the Motor Carrier Safety Assistance Program (MCSAP). This federal grant program provides financial assistance to states to enforce the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations and the Federal Hazardous Materials Regulations in an effort to reduce the number and severity of commercial motor vehicle accidents. In order to receive these funds, Ohio's safety laws must mirror these federal laws.
Active enforcement will not begin until January 1, 2011. Until this date, unless violations are egregious, no forfeitures or monetary penalties will be issued. PUCO and the Ohio State Patrol have been instructed to use inspections as opportunities to educate the driver/carrier.
The following is a summary of the requirements if the GVWR is 10,001 or more:

* Drivers must have a medical certificate (NO CDL IS REQUIRED)
* The truck or van must have company marking on each door
* Fire extinguisher must be accessible and secured
* Annual vehicle inspection
* Vehicle equipment must be in proper working order
* Maintenance records must be maintained
* Must maintain $1 million of insurance when hauling vehicles
* When motor vehicles are hauled there are special requirements for securing the load that must be followed
* A driver qualification file must be maintained - including the application for hire and the medical certificate
* Log books must be maintained, unless the vehicle(s) is within 150 miles of the company location no log book needs to be maintained IF
o The driver returns to the work reporting location and is released from work within 12 consecutive hours;
o The driver does not drive more than 11 hours;
o The driver must have at least 10 hours off between 12 hour shifts; and
o The company maintains and retains for a period of 6 months accurate time records.
* If my vehicle(s) has a GVWR of 10,001 or more and crosses state lines, what else must be done?
o If the vehicle crosses state lines then the vehicle must have a USDOT number
o The application for a USDOT number will require a safety audit from the PUCO
o Information on obtaining a USDOT number may be found at Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
* What are the penalties for noncompliance?
o Vehicles and drivers found not to be in compliance can be pulled from service on the spot
o Monetary fines may be issued by PUCO
* When does active enforcement begin?
o January 1, 2011

GVW or GVWR: Stands for Gross Vehicle Weight or Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. This is the total combined weight of the truck, passengers, cargo, fuel, and towed units if the GVWR of the towed unit is 10,001 lbs or more. The GVWR is located on the left front door or door jam of the truck on the vehicle identification decal or plate.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:21 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
hmm no comments ? I know that this is going to affect a whole bunch people, possibly myself..

Old 10-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Crete
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is nothing new. Why all the excitement?

Old 10-24-2010, 11:50 AM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Crete
This is nothing new. Why all the excitement?
This :These revised rules now extend PUCO's jurisdiction to regulate vehicle safety to vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,001 to 26,000 pounds that are operating on a not-for-hire basis within the state.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Crete
Senior User
Originally Posted by F2504x4
This :These revised rules now extend PUCO's jurisdiction to regulate vehicle safety to vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,001 to 26,000 pounds that are operating on a not-for-hire basis within the state.
I thas been this way for interstate travel for quite a while and according to the FMCSA site it has been that way in Ohio also.

Sounds like right hand doesn't know what left hand is doing.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:39 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
From what i have been seeing, the amount of pick-ups with trailers being pulled over has gone up ten fold this past summer, along with the amount of tickets being issued form non-conformance. All this is a power grab by PUCO...

Old 10-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Crete
Senior User
Originally Posted by F2504x4
From what i have been seeing, the amount of pick-ups with trailers being pulled over has gone up ten fold this past summer, along with the amount of tickets being issued form non-conformance. All this is a power grab by PUCO...
It is not really PUCO doing this as it is the Feds twisting their arm. It may be painful for a short while but everyone will adjust in the end. It is said that the Feds have picked on the big trucks long enough that they have pretty much fell in line so now it is time to pick on the little trucks. The majority of state have been doing this for a while so I guess Ohio is kinda past due for it.

I think the biggest thing is that it includes most private use vehicles. Most assume the it is for business use or for hire only but if you look at the definition of "in commerce" it doesn't say anything about business use.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:05 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
I just found this if correct this will not apply if you are towing your personal property

The Public Utilities Commission (PUCO) has revised its rules relative to motor carrier transportation safety. The new rules apply to businesses that use vehicles with a gross vehicle weight (GVW), gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 10,001 to 26,000 pounds to transport property or passengers on a not-for-hire basis within Ohio. Previously, vehicles of this size were not covered by safety rules. Individuals transporting personal items that are not in furtherance of a commercial enterprise will not be subject to the new rules.

New Safety Rules for Private Intrastate Non-CDL Vehicles

Old 11-18-2010, 08:06 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Our company has been fly'n under the radar for 20+ yrs when we run over to New Castle PA. Vendor we use over there has been caught and told us to watch out. Only go few times a year, but "I'm" not going through all this crap. Talk about a paperwork nightmare.

I'll keep running the ol Mack around as I have and hope for the best.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:27 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Freightrain good to hear from you..

I went to a business meeting last in Cincy, and this topic was on the agenda.
One of the Reps went to ameeting where this issue was being discussed, supposedly this new law might be set back another year before it is implemented..it sounded like a real possibility ...but be prepared to be pulled over and fined ..no matter much you got it together..

Old 11-20-2010, 12:12 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ya, I'm still hang'n around. Don't come here too often anymore.

They are still working on compiling your med card with your license too. That way they can see your med history right from the car and know if you are up to date.

I play the "historical plates" and that should get me out of most issues with the Mack. Time will tell if they start cracking down hard.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:25 PM
falconwagon62
Senior User
Indiana has been getting bad about this, good thing I have a little truck...but I do have a Non-Comm Box Truck just for me BS'ing around....