Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Strange fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Lloydable
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Strange fluid leak

Hey, I walked outside to take the trash out this morning, and noticed that there is a 3 inch wet spot under the truck and some time of oil running down of the center bracket for the sterring stabilizer. the fluid is yellow...

I haven't driven it in a few days and temps have been fluctuating pretty significantly.

I was trying to think of any kind of fluid that is yellow?

Thoughts?

Old 10-15-2010, 10:19 AM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
Is it diesel fuel ? Maybe out of the drain valve

Old 10-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Lloydable
Tuned
Originally Posted by cj45lc
Is it diesel fuel ? Maybe out of the drain valve

thats what I though initially, and I changed my fuel filter about 2000 miles ago with no issues. It has no diesel smell, and drips like an oil more than a fuel (even though they are both oil)...

I don't think its fuel... I have this feeling that driving it will resolve the issue but I should probably figure out what it is.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:42 AM
th67ss
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anit freeze? If you have the gold stuff??? I don't know I'm just guessing

I would check the fuel filter cap to make sure it's tight and check the drain tube for the bowl to make sure the o-rings haven't let go?

....Tom

Old 10-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Lloydable
Tuned
Originally Posted by th67ss
Anit freeze? If you have the gold stuff??? I don't know I'm just guessing

I would check the fuel filter cap to make sure it's tight and check the drain tube for the bowl to make sure the o-rings haven't let go?

....Tom
Mines Green...

I'll check that to be 100% sure its not fuel, i noticed a drip hanging off the steering stabilizer bracket in the picture and it was a bright yellow... no strong smell just the faint smell of oil...

Old 10-15-2010, 10:59 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
The fluid is from the stabilizer itself. It's yellow.

When I flushed my hydraulic system last year, I jacked up the front end of the truck to make it easier for my wife to turn the steering lock-to-lock while pumping out ATF and pouring in new with the engine running.

After repeatedly exercising the steering travel fully many times in rapid succession, I too discovered a yellow fluid directly under the steering dampener. Too much exercise, too rapidly, in too short a time, caused fluid to leak past the piston seals.

Since only a small amount leaked, I haven't noticed any difference in dampening performance, so I have not changed the unit.

Yours is likely leaking from a different reason, like old age of the seals or a nick in the piston.

Pop

Old 10-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Lloydable
Tuned
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
The fluid is from the stabilizer itself. It's yellow.

When I flushed my hydraulic system last year, I jacked up the front end of the truck to make it easier for my wife to turn the steering lock-to-lock while pumping out ATF and pouring in new with the engine running.

After repeatedly exercising the steering travel fully many times in rapid succession, I too discovered a yellow fluid directly under the steering dampener. Too much exercise, too rapidly, in too short a time, caused fluid to leak past the piston seals.

Since only a small amount leaked, I haven't noticed any difference in dampening performance, so I have not changed the unit.

Pop

Is there another dampner besides the stabilizer, because that isn't even on the truck. I bought a spare to keep with me and tried just not running one. So I don't have a stailizer to leak...

Old 10-15-2010, 11:23 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Check your fan clutch, it might be leaking oil.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:26 AM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by miller_feed
Check your fan clutch, it might be leaking oil.
That is my vote. Got the same leak on mine. Just waiting for my lpop to get here so I can kill a few leaks with one project.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:09 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Lloydable
Is there another dampner besides the stabilizer, because that isn't even on the truck. I bought a spare to keep with me and tried just not running one. So I don't have a stailizer to leak...
Well, that certainly rules THAT out!

Pop

Old 10-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Lloydable
Tuned
Originally Posted by mudmaker
That is my vote. Got the same leak on mine. Just waiting for my lpop to get here so I can kill a few leaks with one project.

So I should just look behind the main fan behind the radiator? I am more IT geared than mechanics. I am guessing there should be oil on the module that spins the large fan?

Old 10-15-2010, 01:01 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Maybe get a flashlight & get under & trace the leak uphill

Old 10-15-2010, 02:46 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lloydable
So I should just look behind the main fan behind the radiator? I am more IT geared than mechanics. I am guessing there should be oil on the module that spins the large fan?
Yep, I found oil on the flange of the fan. Don't know how much oil is in there. Mine quick leaking so I am thinking it no longer has oil in it and is probably no longer working properly.

Look from underneath. You should be able to reach up to the fan and see if there is oil on the flange under the clutch in the center of the fan.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Lloydable
Tuned
Ok, so i know this is an old thread, but the leak stopped.
But last night i change to Full syn 5w40 and was checking for leaks, well i found one, but not oil.

It is Antifreeze out of the same location as the original post. Here are pics of where it is coming from.

The question: What the hell is that, why is it intermittent, and how do i fix it.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:20 AM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
That's the return hose from the heater core. Take it off clean the threads & teflon tape should fix you right up.

Quick Reply: Strange fluid leak