1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission leaking from wiring bulkhead connector

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 04:21 AM
arctic_driver
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission leaking from wiring bulkhead connector

2000, F-350, 4x4, V-10, Automatic Transmission

I have located a rather serious leak (3 quarts every 40 miles) in my transmission. There is transmission fluid leaking (spewing) out of the electrical bulkhead fitting located along the right rear side of the tranny and just above the pan. Of course this fitting is in a spot where one can only see it with a mirror positioned at the perfect angle. Additionally, it looks like I will need to remove the exhaust pipe and shroud in order to really get to it.

Can this electrical bulkhead fitting be replaced?
Is this a fairly common situation?
Is there any connection to this happening approximately 800 miles after a transmission fluid and filter replacement?

Old 02-16-2009, 07:24 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
The fitting is part of the solenoid body. There is an oring that seals the connector to the trans.

The only way I could see it being related to the fluid change is if someone loosened the solenoid body, or overfilled the trans.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:55 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by arctic_driver
2000, F-350, 4x4, V-10, Automatic Transmission

I have located a rather serious leak (3 quarts every 40 miles) in my transmission. There is transmission fluid leaking (spewing) out of the electrical bulkhead fitting located along the right rear side of the tranny and just above the pan. Of course this fitting is in a spot where one can only see it with a mirror positioned at the perfect angle. Additionally, it looks like I will need to remove the exhaust pipe and shroud in order to really get to it.

Can this electrical bulkhead fitting be replaced?
Is this a fairly common situation?
Is there any connection to this happening approximately 800 miles after a transmission fluid and filter replacement?
You can reach your arm around the exhaust to unplug the solenoid body but you will have to drop the pan and solenoid body to check out the O ring seal.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:59 PM
arctic_driver
New User
Mark K:
I was the one who did the fluid/filter change. I never touched the solenoid or fitting as far as I know. This truck was in for a looking at prior to all this. Could the dealership service techs have plugged in some test equipment there and caused a break in the seal?

bubbasz1:
I was able to get the connector unplugged and plugged back in. I didn't know if I could access the problem by dropping the pan. So, if I understand this correctly, I could drop the transmission pan to gain access to the solenoid body and thus the o-ring all without having to remove any other major components like (exhaust pipe, shroud or even transmission itself)?

If this is the case then, Outstanding! and Thank You.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by arctic_driver
This truck was in for a looking at prior to all this. Could the dealership service techs have plugged in some test equipment there and caused a break in the seal?
There is a test box that plugs into the solenoid body in place of the truck's wiring harness. I've never heard of this damaging the seal, but anything is possible.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:31 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
bubbasz1:
I was able to get the connector unplugged and plugged back in. I didn't know if I could access the problem by dropping the pan. So, if I understand this correctly, I could drop the transmission pan to gain access to the solenoid body and thus the o-ring all without having to remove any other major components like ( exhaust pipe, shroud or even transmission itself)?

If this is the case then, Outstanding! and Thank You.
I had the solenoid on my son's 2001 v10 out last week, no problem, out, tested it, and back in. Regretfully we pulled the trans and transfer case last night, big job, but the trans has bigger issues>>WAY TOO MUCH FUN!

Old 02-18-2009, 02:48 AM
arctic_driver
New User
Awesome, Thanks again.

After a further, deeper and more complete examination I have discovered that the electrical bulkhead fitting and/or o-ring to the solenoid is NOT what is leaking after all. Turns out there is a fracture in the transmission case just above where that electrical bulkhead is. You cannot see it without a mirror and a really bright but small light that can fit way up in there to get direct light on it. The crack is about 3/4 inch long by 1/8 inch wide with a small "shard" of metal case still hanging off of where is ruptured. Don't know any other way of describing it.

I started the truck, drove it back and forth a few times then got out and looked at the crack. Sure enough that is where the leak is coming from. No mistaking it. The fluid is pouring out of the crack and pooling down around the electrical bulkhead fitting making it appear like the leak is coming from that fitting.

Good News. I still have 19 days left on my extended Power-Train warrantee and dealership said they would cover either a new case or remanufactured transmission. God Bless them.

Hope this helps someone else as much as you all have helped me. God Bless all of you too!

Old 02-18-2009, 05:04 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Good deal, better they have to deal with it than you.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:33 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, that extended warranty just paid for itself and then some... glad to hear that the damaged case is covered under warranty.