View Single Post
Old 12-21-2004, 09:55 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
If you're handy, you certainly could make your own bracket. The V shaped one is VERY heavy, made from ~ 1 1/4" square bar stock. For a synopsis of my install, search for my topic "progress". Interference is going to be dependent on your engine/header choices. My SBC with full length headers clears the box no problem, but the rearmost pipe on the header is ~ 2" away from and directly in line with the return hose fitting. As you know the stock fitting comes straight out so that puts the end the hose goes on right against the header
Next I tried buying the hose and adapter set Mid Fifties sells, the return hose has a right angle fitting on it which would have been perfect had it not needed an adapter to fit the box. The adapter fitting made the whole assembly ~ 1/4" too long to fit
Then I tried to have a custom hose made, but nobody makes a 17mm x 1.5 fitting except Toyota and MF which has their adapter fitting specially machined.
Finally I cut the straight aluminum tube (yes I tried bending it first) out of the stock fitting and cut a right angle bent steel tube off the OEM pressure side hose I happend to get with the box, and after testing the plain fitting in the box alone to determine the proper direction for the tube to point, I nickle silver brazed the tube into the fitting. Now I have a tight right angle bend fitting that will let the hose clear the header pipe.
By the way in case you can use the info, the >1980 GM Saginaw PS pump uses the same 16mm fitting as the pressure side of the box does, so you can use a stock Toyota pressure hose! The return side is low pressure so you just use a cut to length PS return hose and a couple hose clamps for that line. Since I returned the hose kit to MF I decided to go top shelf with Russell brand SS braid covered PS hose and fittings from Summit racing to match the other braid covered hoses on the truck. Russell does make 16mm to 6 AN adapter fittings for the pressure side.