View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 11:40 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,952 Likes on 1,166 Posts
Originally Posted by Melody Guzman
Gathering parts for my own '95 powerstroke conversion and had at first hoped to plumb into the fuel line after the second stage of the pumping process(mechanical stock pump), but could not find find a suitable location with enough room(big turbo charge thingy makes space cramped). I noticed you suggested placing check valves at the two points where the fuel enters the rails. On mine that is all metal tubing coming from the banjo bolt assembly, so my plan now is to do a fuel bowl delete and replace the stock mech pump with a bosch, creating plenty of room for the solenoids, etc. Is this overkill? Is there anything I have missed? Searched the web and have found almost no useful information. Oh and when using solenoids are cv's neccesary?
The '95 has a regulated-return fuel system. You could put a 3way selector valve between the mechanical pump and the diesel filter to select which tank you draw fuel from and a 2nd 3way valve after the FPR to select the tank you are returning to. I'm not intimately familiar with the details though...

The late-model 7.3's are 'dead headed'. You can convert to this system by deleting the mech. pump, filter and fuel lines and adding an electric pump, FPR and filter. Then, you'd use a check valve between the diesel filter and the heads. A second fuel pump, FPR and filter would be used for VO and you'd feed the opposite end of each head. There will be a CV between the filter and the heads, but you'll add a 12v solenoid valve that will allow you to bypass the VO CV for 'purging'.

The latter method is MUCH cleaner/simpler plumbing-wise, but costs more due to the pumps and FPR's.