Old 09-03-2012, 07:50 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,889 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Originally Posted by lio45
While I'm waiting for a replacement water pump for my diesel daily driver (slow ground mail), and since I'm sitting on ready-to-use filtered WVO, I decided to try unheated WVO in my unconverted dual tank IDI...

Over 50% WVO with slightly less than 50% diesel works fine in warm weather... (I use my block heater to start it on that mix).
Yep. It 'works fine' right up until it doesn't work anymore.

Since you are sending VO back to the diesel tank every time ya switch back, you are leaving increasingly higher blends in the engine every time you shut down and you never get all the VO out of the filter... This VO eventually begins to polymerize inside the IP, etc and soon enough your luck will run out. Meanwhile, starting the truck on those blends causes incomplete combustion and coking in the combustion chamber and downstream of the exhaust valves creating a whole different problem.

Many before you have learned this already - however, there are 'reported' cases where it seems to work for a long time. They can't say it on the internet if its not true.

A 'proper' conversion for that engine costs about the same as a handful of fill-ups on diesel. It just makes soooo much more sense to me to go with a proven recipe and actually increase your monetary savings at the same time...