Old 08-25-2012, 06:49 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by tempforce
The 6.0 uses oil pressure to push a fuel pump. Resulting in a variable fuel pressure. Depending on oil type, oil temp, and pressure. Causing fuel delivery issues. Using veg oil will increase the likelihood of fuel delivery issues. Sorry, please stick with diesel and bio-diesel. For a more dependable vehicle.
That is not quite how it works... Just like the 7.3, the 6.0 uses an electric fuel pump to supply ~55psi to the HEUI injectors, which use high-pressure oil to increase the fuel pressure - up to 20,000psi. The 6.0 injectors are just much less forgiving to low fuel pressure than the 7.3 - this is primarily the reason we hear of more 6.0 injector failures than 7.3 failures.

I know quite a few 6.0's with LOTS of successful miles on WVO. There is a 'right way' to do it. (its just not a greasecrap kit )

Originally Posted by AlbyVA
I would agree. I'd also add, that if you are using Bio Diesel, you need
to change your fuel filter more often than recommended.
Do you use biodiesel? Why do you need to change the filter more often? Even the often-repeated rumor about bio-d 'cleaning out' the fuel system and clogging up fuel filters is not always true.

I strongly recommend a FUEL PRESSURE gauge to anyone considering alt. fuels or more HP in these trucks. As long as the gauge sender is post-filter, you'll KNOW what the condition of your filter is and know when it really needs changed, instead of just guessing!