Old 06-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Spaded_Z
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moto Mel
I suggest that you do a "google" search for "DPFE". There is a post listed from the Focus forum that has a great description with pics in regards to this sensor and it's operation.
It's not always the item that the code reader seems to pinpoint that is the real problem, It is often something else in the system that causes the item pinpointed to malfunction, which in turn causes us to start by replacing the item the code reader specifies and then we eventually find the base cause of the problem. We have to remember that code readers are only tools to aid in the diagnosis and repair of a problem.
Thanks, I'll look for that thread and then link it here at the top so others who run across this can quickly find it.

Originally Posted by expydaddy
This is gonna soumd dumb, but does the computer have to be reset after this procedure? Maybe disconnect the battery for a day then see what happens when you fire it up. Good Luck!
Yes, you should disconnect power to reset the ECU however you only need to pull it for 10 seconds to make sure all power is out of the system. I typically will pull it after tearing everything apart and then put things back together so I can just reconnect the battery as the last step of assembly and there's no doubt I didn't leave it off long enough.

Originally Posted by pdqford
It would be helpful to me to know the model year of this 5.4, the specific DPFE DTC code, if there were any other codes, and the number of miles on this vehicle.

This can cause a P0400 or P0401 DPFE code.

More than likely the infamous PCV elbow at the back of the intake manifold is leaking, and is not related to the EGR issue.
It's a 2003 with 120k and I believe it was the 401 code. I foolishly didn't pay attention to what specific code the NAPA guy pulled and he just told me it was the DPFE sensor. The other flag for me was that when I looked at my DPFE one of the hoses was completely destroyed on the inside (with a small hole leading to the outside) and it had melted half of the stem off the original sensor.