Old 06-04-2012, 09:41 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,890 Likes on 1,141 Posts
Originally Posted by linus72
Mmmm...

so when we say "emulsified" I am assuming the oil is kind of whitish/frothy, etc and is NOT see-thru??

Most of the oil I m getting has no white cloudy stuff and is see-thru even unfiltered.

I have seen barrels where the oil is whitish, not see-thru and is very thick....but I don't touch that stuff!
High concentrations of water will make the oil milky, cloudy, etc - but you can fail a HPT miserably with 'clear' oil...

PHO (partially hydrogenated oil) is also 'cloudy' at room temp and any oil that has been used to cook meat will have a tendency to have animal fats in it. Either of these will be 'white' or cloudy at room temp. This kind of oil can still be dewatered and filtered - and actually has a higher energy content than non-PHO or oil w/o fats in it - but since ya gotta heat it to mess with it its usually not worth the trouble if you've got better sources. Also, the animal fats have quite an affection for water - making it harder to dewater.

Fwiw, I have burned 'animal/vegetable shortening' in my junk. This stuff is SOLID enough to break a window at room temp. Its basically VO mixed with lard. It smelled delicious coming from the tailpipe!!! But, I have ALOT of heat in my VO system - don't try this with most 'veggie kits'...