Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   radio, windows, power locks intermittent. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1069928-radio-windows-power-locks-intermittent.html)

Jmatthews 05-25-2011 07:43 PM

radio, windows, power locks intermittent.

Sometimes my radio windows and door locks on my 02 Excursion quit for a while till I beat on the dash just over the radio then it comes back on. Any ideas?

dlibson 05-25-2011 07:45 PM

Many options. But it could be as simple as a ground shorting out at the radio. That can make other things not work. Pull the radio, check the connectors and other wires for obvious signs of shorting or bad connections.

Just cause it's above the radio doesn't mean it's there either. Check the grounds under the cover below the column where the fuses are too. I've seen those come loose before.

Jmatthews 05-25-2011 07:51 PM

It only happens every once in a while, I thought it may have something to do with my battery randomly draining.

dlibson 05-25-2011 08:02 PM

Ahhh, more info.

It could. You could have an issue going on with that for sure. Take a look at the wires that go into the door. They can break, short, or get pinched and cause all the above problems. Usually in the drivers door. I had an Explorer that would tell me the rear hatch was open, cruise wouldn't work, rear defrost, and it would randomly beep. Had three broken wires in the bundle going to the door.

Jmatthews 05-26-2011 06:03 AM

Yeah but why does it all come back on when I beat the dash?

riverrat41 05-26-2011 06:56 AM

Could be a problem with the VCM.The brain that runs the interior lights,door ajar,tones,and some other things.Little box mounted behind the radio...IIRC....High dollar little boxes as well.:-hair

Calli 05-26-2011 07:45 AM

Moisture in the window motors? Also possible leak from windshield behind dash. Trust me, it can cause all the above!!

joeyd61 05-26-2011 11:20 AM

I have the very same issue... for over a year now....mine doesn't do it all the time,it will go a month no problem,then two times a day..beat on dash, open driverside door count to 5 close door, or just wait and all will work in appx 5 minues...I/ve heard everything from windshild leaking,VCM,bad ground,bad switsh..The only thing i haven't done yet is change the VCM..At this point I just want it to fail so I can find the problem

Jmatthews 05-26-2011 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by joeyd61 (Post 10388950)
I have the very same issue... for over a year now....mine doesn't do it all the time,it will go a month no problem,then two times a day..beat on dash, open driverside door count to 5 close door, or just wait and all will work in appx 5 minues...I/ve heard everything from windshild leaking,VCM,bad ground,bad switsh..The only thing i haven't done yet is change the VCM..At this point I just want it to fail so I can find the problem

I just beat on the dash two or three times and it works. Only does it once in a while, but like you said sometimes it will do it couple times close together.