Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   5.4L 3V with miss, rough idle and codes P0340, P0344, P0345, and P0349 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1060865-5-4l-3v-with-miss-rough-idle-and-codes-p0340-p0344-p0345-and-p0349.html)

jrbubachmech98 04-21-2011 10:26 PM

5.4L 3V with miss, rough idle and codes P0340, P0344, P0345, and P0349

I recently purchased my first Ford pickup. I bought a 2006 F-150 with the 5.4L 3V engine. I have only driven it for about 300 miles so far and am having problems. The engine has 146,000 miles on it. I have read several posts on here about the cam phasers which I believe that I may have some issues with. The engine will run good when cold, on the road, etc. The engine does have a slight ticking after it warms up (cam phasers?). When I come to a stop after the engine is operating temperature, the engine will start to miss and shudder and all 4 above codes come active and are also pending (8 codes in total). All 4 codes are logged at the same time. I have replaced both cam position sensors, both sensor ends and terminals for cam position sensors, checked wiring around rear of engine (does not appear to be rubbed through), all plugs were replaced, and all COP boots are good. Is there anything that can cause these codes that may not be the actual cam position sensors, ie. VTC, COPs, cam phasers? Anyone know what pins the cam position sensors come to on the ECU (so I can ohm the entire wire harness)?

Also, if the engine is missing with the codes active and I rev the engine up it will come back to idle and run great. The engine never dies out, just runs horribly. I have also unplugged each sensor with the engine running which has no effect on the way it runs.

Any and all thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

dgndngrngr84 04-21-2011 10:54 PM

P0340 - Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1)
Description: The test fails when the powertrain control module (PCM) can no longer detect the signal from the CMP sensor on bank 1.
Possible Causes: CMP circuit open.
CMP circuit short to GND.
CMP circuit short to PWR.
SIG RTN open (VR sensor).
CMP GND open (Hall-effect sensor).
CMP circuit short to CMP2 circuit (if equipped).
CMP incorrectly installed (Hall-effect sensor).
Damaged CMP sensor shielding.
Damaged CMP sensor.
Damaged PCM.

P0345 - Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2)
Description: The test fails when the powertrain control module (PCM) can no longer detect the signal from the CMP sensor on bank 2.
Possible Causes: See the possible causes for DTC P0340.
Diagnostic Aids: See the diagnostic aids for DTC P0340

P0344 and P0349 aren't listed but I'm assuming the point back to the cam position sensor like you thought.

Others will be able to help you better, just figured I'd pull up what the service manual said for possible causes.

70f100longbed 04-22-2011 07:45 PM

I have seen a few tone rings on the phasers move throwing the CMP signals out of sync. Most likely its that or the cams are one tooth off. Pull the valve covers and look at the phasers. The tone ring has 5 fingers, 3 on one half and 2 on the other. On the side with 3 the middle one has to line up with the timing mark on the phaser itself. If it doesn't line up then the ring has moved and the phaser will need to be changed. If both sides line up then the cam(s) are a tooth off and the timing cover will need to be removed to reset them. I gave a very detailed procedure on timing the chains in this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...g-a-5-4-a.html

jrbubachmech98 04-22-2011 11:01 PM

Thank you both for your input. I will definitely check into the phasers. This would be the most logical place to start due to the intermittent nature of the problem. I appreciate the help and any others that have any info, it is greatly appreciated.

JRROTH1 07-12-2011 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by jrbubachmech98 (Post 10254207)
Thank you both for your input. I will definitely check into the phasers. This would be the most logical place to start due to the intermittent nature of the problem. I appreciate the help and any others that have any info, it is greatly appreciated.

Hi -

Just wondering if you found the problemn and got it fixed. My 2004 has done the rough idle thing on 5 separate occasions over the last 6 months. Last week the CEL came on with a P0340 code (no other codes). I replaced the cam position sensor yesterday and today while cruising the parking lot looking for a space, the rough idle returned along with the CEL and same code. I guess it wasn't the sensor after all. I have seen TSB 06-2-9 which points to a generator phase or diode problem causing P0340 and/or P0344 but it doesn't say if the rough idle.

Any other suggestions prior to exploratory surgery?

Sonoflyon 10-27-2011 11:35 AM

Need your help!!

Hello, I just found your post. The exact same symptoms are happening with my 2006 5.4 and was wondering what you did to fix the problem. I'm at wits end with my truck and just need a little help. Thank you in advance, Robert

patrick.sellers 10-30-2011 01:32 PM

I am in the same boat. i got the same exact codes and the same exact symptoms that you got. where you able to figure out the issue? If so please let me know that would be a huge help.

Francisco Alp 03-24-2012 12:33 PM

p0340,p0344,p0345,p0349.

i'm like you i buy this truck used with 1332000 but i replacement the engine when i start my first time i got more of 18 codes with check engine light on ,camphaser ,out timing,camposition sensor,oxigen sensor,so i replacement all sensor for new one's cost over $1200 i did my self. camposition sensor,$15 each autozone,phaser's $440 at ford dealer,crankshaft position sensor,vct solenoid's $190 at ford for 2 .so when i check my fuse box under the hood left fender its was 2 relays 4x4 wich my truck is 2wd not 4x4 so i take out and the same thing .,i check all wires from my engine to the fuse box and looks good but the fuse box under dash right side from the driver seat ,.alot fuses they put on there the 4x4,seat heater,this mean the previous owner wass played with the fuse box or they but diferent fuse box thats my last searching on this truck replament the fuse box and pcm. if i dont fix this trick i will sell this 2006 f150 for parts ,. because the dealer charge for every day they have you truck there,every new parts them i ready replacement,and some times never fix you truckn but you will need to pay the bill thats cost over $1200 ......thats the problem with ford dealers,or any dealer.
know after replacement all sensor i got this four codes p0340,p0344,p0345 and p0349 but never some check engine light on this shows me at my OBD II ,ON THE SCREEN SO MEAYBE IS MY FUSE BOX SOME SHORT CIRCUIT THEY CAN'T LET SEND THE SIGNAL TO THE DASH BECAUSE THE COMPUTER READS ABOUT SOMETHINGS WRONG OR MEAYBE IS THE PCM BECAUSE AFTER THE TRUCK IS warming up the truck start showing this codes and run rought and the engine made rough noise like a diesel truck very loud . soo let me know if some one fix this problem at franciscoalp @ hotmail.com

KewlGyrl 03-29-2012 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Francisco Alp (Post 11618009)
i'm like you i buy this truck used with 1332000 but i replacement the engine when i start my first time i got more of 18 codes with check engine light on ,camphaser ,out timing,camposition sensor,oxigen sensor,so i replacement all sensor for new one's cost over $1200 i did my self. camposition sensor,$15 each autozone,phaser's $440 at ford dealer,crankshaft position sensor,vct solenoid's $190 at ford for 2 .so when i check my fuse box under the hood left fender its was 2 relays 4x4 wich my truck is 2wd not 4x4 so i take out and the same thing .,i check all wires from my engine to the fuse box and looks good but the fuse box under dash right side from the driver seat ,.alot fuses they put on there the 4x4,seat heater,this mean the previous owner wass played with the fuse box or they but diferent fuse box thats my last searching on this truck replament the fuse box and pcm. if i dont fix this trick i will sell this 2006 f150 for parts ,. because the dealer charge for every day they have you truck there,every new parts them i ready replacement,and some times never fix you truckn but you will need to pay the bill thats cost over $1200 ......thats the problem with ford dealers,or any dealer.
know after replacement all sensor i got this four codes p0340,p0344,p0345 and p0349 but never some check engine light on this shows me at my OBD II ,ON THE SCREEN SO MEAYBE IS MY FUSE BOX SOME SHORT CIRCUIT THEY CAN'T LET SEND THE SIGNAL TO THE DASH BECAUSE THE COMPUTER READS ABOUT SOMETHINGS WRONG OR MEAYBE IS THE PCM BECAUSE AFTER THE TRUCK IS warming up the truck start showing this codes and run rought and the engine made rough noise like a diesel truck very loud . soo let me know if some one fix this problem at franciscoalp @ hotmail.com

Running rough could be causes by bad EGR valve or something like that. Diesel engine sound is due to Cam phasers I think though I could almost swear the mechanic said Cam pulleys? Not sure if there even is such a thing & haven't had time to research it yet. I had the same problems as you. Replaced the coil packs & spark plugs which helped a lot. EGR valve replacement should take care of the rest I hope. Good luck with getting yours straightened out.

Papa Tiger 03-30-2012 07:23 AM

Jr. before you put any money into the truck test it. Remove the oil pressure sensor, instal a tee, reinstal the sensor and a oil pressure gauge. Test the oil pressure of the motor when it is completely at running temps. If your oil psi is low, not on the high side of the specs, consider all the ramifications of wear and instal a crate or junk yard motor. No mater what you do you will have trouble with a motor with low oil pressure.

70f100longbed 03-30-2012 11:20 AM

Minimum oil pressure at hot idle is 25psi. Any lower and you will have VCT problems.

Francisco Alp 03-30-2012 11:13 PM

found the problem with these codes.

Originally Posted by KewlGyrl (Post 11643322)
Running rough could be causes by bad EGR valve or something like that. Diesel engine sound is due to Cam phasers I think though I could almost swear the mechanic said Cam pulleys? Not sure if there even is such a thing & haven't had time to research it yet. I had the same problems as you. Replaced the coil packs & spark plugs which helped a lot. EGR valve replacement should take care of the rest I hope. Good luck with getting yours straightened out.

hey disconect or replacement the oil tempeture sensor and coolant tempeture sensor .,and thats my truck fix the codes and runing rough and stop diesel sound . no more codes ...,, thanks lord. no more waste money......

Treekillerwashere 09-13-2012 09:02 PM

Sorry for digging up such an old thread.

I joined just to reply to this and I hope that my post will help others with the P0340 code.

I replaced both camshaft position sensors and the alternator today after reading many posts and still the code would reappear almost instantly after starting the truck. I cleared the code many times and still the code would come back after starting, shutting off and restarting. So I got upset and started to look at the wiring for what seems like the hundredth time and noticed that the harness that come off the PCM connector closest to the passenger side fender was routed under AC line, well turns out that about four wires within the bundle had the casing chaffed and melted away. For a quick fix due to the darkness and poor flashlight I wrapped each wire with some tape while the battery was disconnected and magically the problem has gone away.

Please inspect this wire harness if your problem continues and you too may find that this is where all your troubles are beginning.

Good luck and hope this helps someone

Papa Tiger 09-14-2012 01:00 AM

OMG, Awesome!

lindboep 03-05-2013 04:21 PM

Did anyone ever figure out what the problem with it was?