Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Dieselsite coolant filter warning/fix (with pics) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1014875-dieselsite-coolant-filter-warning-fix-with-pics.html)

plomerostroker 12-01-2010 03:47 PM

H051150 - Rifeng H051150 - 1" PEX x 1" PEX x 1/2" PEX Brass Tee Check this site. there are many places to get it. grainger supply has them too.

bpounds 12-01-2010 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by plomerostroker (Post 9626437)
H051150 - Rifeng H051150 - 1" PEX x 1" PEX x 1/2" PEX Brass Tee Check this site. there are many places to get it. grainger supply has them too.

Thank you!

I was on that site last night, and for whatever reason didn't find that part.

DIESELSITE 12-01-2010 04:09 PM

I will look into these for the future (evene for just cost savings), but I'm concerned about a few things. One is they are 1" x 1/2" and the heater hoses are 3/4" x 3/8".

Next is I believe these Pex tees are made for polybutalene tubing and calibrated 360 degree clamps. Many times the wrong barb style will damage the hose if the wrong combo is used.

After 6 years and only 6-7 failures, I will continue to say the aluminum tees we make have proven themselves for many years and many thousand users. I do hope people don't think that press fit means we press them in with our fingers. Hell, some wheel manufacturers use press fits. Our high pressure oil pumps are press fit together. The quality and sizing of the press fit make or break it, not whether it is press fit together or not.

So, as said by others, I will and do take constructive criticism, and will look into it, but that doesn't mean if it isn't the best for my customers, I will change. I certainly won't change just because of price.

Bob

bpounds 12-01-2010 04:18 PM

Bob, I'm glad you brought up the hose size. 1" and 1/2" didn't sound right to me either, but maybe PEX is sized by OD??? Don't know, but will check it out. The barb design on those fittings would not be my preference, as it looks like it could cut the hose, but I don't think it is a big deal. A little Permatex Aviation sealer will make them slide on and seal.

Lastly, regarding your aluminum Tee - Customer perception is equally as important as a good product. :)

Ringwood1 12-01-2010 04:27 PM

I made the mistake and got the 3/4 at home depot. Way too loose. The 1" fits just right.

bpounds 12-01-2010 04:30 PM

Looks like PEX is sized by the OD, just like copper tube sizing, known as CTS.
PEX Products - FAQ

It's new to me. We are not allowed to use it for potable water AFAIK, and radiant floor heat is rare here.

Nitrous 12-01-2010 05:00 PM

1 x 1 x 1/2 Brass PEX Reducing Tee

For $2.85 it seems like a no brainer.

danocross 12-01-2010 05:09 PM

Stupid question I partially raised earlier: if I want to replace the aluminum tee with this one, will I get a flood of coolant when I pull the old one off? When I installed the aluminum one, I drained some from the degas bottle, let things cool off, and did not have much flow out, IIRC.

Advice is much appreciated.

bpounds 12-01-2010 05:14 PM

I wouldn't want to spill any more than necessary, so I will drain a gallon out of the rad pet cock.

Ringwood1 12-01-2010 10:24 PM

I used a pair of vicegrips, and a piece of cardboard to protect the hose on either side of the cut to stop coolant flow. Worked like a charm.

plomerostroker 12-01-2010 10:45 PM

I drained out some coolant before I cut mine. The 1'' pex tee fits very well. and so does the 1/2 on the degas line. I have never seen any leaks on mine and it's been on there for some time. I made all of mine system by my self from parts I got from local shops. I did "steal" the idea from many places. I got the filter housing from grainger and the filters also. the plumbing stuff came from the back of my truck. ie hose clamps, ball valves, and yes the pex fittings. the hoses I got from a local shop that had some silicone blue tubing. It was a little more but it fit the pex fittings better. I spent like $95 buck total. But It took me a little to round everything up. mine is working just fine.

loubell 12-02-2010 11:49 AM

Am I the only one who finds this ironic?

Bob From Dieslelsite is experiencing a failure rate at a fraction of a percentage.

5 pages of bandwagon bashing start, with unqualified individuals making uneducated and anecdotal statements about a part that they determine is destined for failure, and that they demand be fixed, in spite of a failure rate of a fraction of 1%. (disclaimer: one poster did claim to be an engineer, yet had no data on said part, or press fitting material/tolerance/failure rates)

Here comes the irony part: How many press fit applications did Navistar and Ford use in our engines and transmissions? Is the failure rate of the 6.0/Torqueshift a fraction of 1%? We are a community of 6.0 owners who are experiencing, even at conservative estimates, an above average amount of challenges from our engine. Yet we are holding an aftermarket manufacturer to a higher standard?

I feel like I should start one of those type of " how many are happy with their coolant filter (6.0), people who don't have problems don't start posts" post because my Dieselsite coolant filter works as advertised.

Oh the drama! :D

Zmann 12-02-2010 11:59 AM

It failed people complained

it also served as a warning for others to check their parts

and gave options to fix / replace /use a different kit

Whats wrong with any of that?

ps your complaining about people complaining ironic lol

High Binder 12-02-2010 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by danocross (Post 9626909)
Stupid question I partially raised earlier: if I want to replace the aluminum tee with this one, will I get a flood of coolant when I pull the old one off? When I installed the aluminum one, I drained some from the degas bottle, let things cool off, and did not have much flow out, IIRC.

Advice is much appreciated.

Yes, if you don't drain some you'll dump a ton of coolant.

danocross 12-02-2010 11:59 AM

Loubell, I see your point. I swear I started smelling coolant yesterday driving around.

Yep, perception is reality sometimes.